Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gas heating in my flat - one heating unit and 4 metal things on the walls that get really hot and provide the heat. I guess they're called vents?

If I am just in one room and need only one heater, am I saving money by "closing" the other heaters? They've got knobs on them to determine the flow of hot air.

I'm guessing that if all the heating is done at the central unit, then all I am doing at these other vents is closing off their access to hot air, not reducing the amount of gas used?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
radiators I assume.

Yes shutting off radiators cuts down on things. But if you're in a building with a central boiler it likely won't save you money.

You pay a fixed amount for heat?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Radiators - that's the word I was looming for. The heating unit is in my house; I pay according to how much I use.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Shut the radiators you aren't using. Make sure the doors to those rooms are closed.

On the ones you do use make sure there isn't any air trapped in them. There should be a bleed valve that when you open puts out just water. If air comes out then keep it open until the air is gone. You'll want a cup or can to catch any water.

You might be able to lower the temperture the boiler is set at.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have the option of adjusting the temperature for both the heating and the water. For heating, it was set at 70 C, and water was set at 65 C. What would be more reasonable while still keeping things hot enough?

Obviously, the water I use will never be 65 C. Does that more or less mean that these settings have made it such that a whole lot of gas is being wasted?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Depends on how cold it is. Mine right now is set for 70C but it's unusually cold for this time of year. It needs to be hot enough to get the room warm to the temperture you want. Do the rooms feel too warm or right?

I'd lower the tap water. With it that warm you almost always need to mix cold water with it.

Do you have a thermostat on the radiators? Or one that turns off the boiler? Or are you doing it manually?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Generally what I do is turn the heat on, and when it feels nice enough, I turn it off. Would it make a difference if I set it lower and kept it on longer?

I'm not seeing an option on the boiler to turn it off when a temperature is reached. I've got a digital thermostat on there. I don't have thermostats on the radiators.

Do you mean to saw that the heat produced by the central unit does not vary according to how I adjust the facet/shower. Instead, making adjusting only determines how much cold water is added?

·
Registered
412 Posts
From your initial description it sounds like you have warm air heating. If you close the vents (ie reducing the flow of air as you said) all that will happen is that the remaining vent will blow harder. To cut down on gas consumption you need to lower the temperature of the air blowing out.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Generally what I do is turn the heat on, and when it feels nice enough, I turn it off. Would it make a difference if I set it lower and kept it on longer?

Do you mean to saw that the heat produced by the central unit does not vary according to how I adjust the facet/shower. Instead, making adjusting only determines how much cold water is added?
For the first bit it depends on how cold it is. If it's cold then you need to set it higher or you'll never heat up.

For the second one I mean if you leave the hotwater at 65C and you want a 40C shower then you'll need to mix a lot of cold water. If you set it colder you can still have a 40C shower by adding less cold water.

The main reason for having the hotwater set lower is to avoid scalding yourself. If you accidently turn the hotwater on full blast it's safer if it's not too hot.

I assume this is an instant on hotwater and no tank?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts