Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we moved into our house, we've neglected our side and back yard a bit. Both are totally unlandscaped and for the most part are just sandy dirt (we're only a few blocks from the beach). Since we've had rain, quite a bit of tall grass has grown sporadically in these areas. My son likes to play in it. My husband will be trimming it soon, but I made a comment to him about how we should try to keep it short in the summer. I'd hate for our son to be playing in it and encounter a snake. My husband is originally from this area and insists that he's never seen a snake in the suburbs (we're in Bonbeach), but that doesn't make me worry about it any less. We were at a friend's house only 1/2 hour drive further down the peninsula last summer, and there was a brown snake in their yard (though they do live on a quite substantial acreage).

Am I being paranoid? Or is it not unheard of for dangerous snakes to occasionally wander into the 'burbs?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I think the chance is low. I live in a beachy suburb in Sydney and have never seen a snake on the ground. I have seen Possums and alot of birds. I think the sea-birds are the reason you don't see many snakes (food chain).

However a different danger and good reason to cut the grass is bushfire. Melbourne gets some really scorching dry days and long uncut grass is the sort that dries out and becomes a fire danger. It's worth cutting it down just for that reason.

And I have had bushfires within 5 kms of me (even in a beachy suburb, but lots of bush around).

Since we moved into our house, we've neglected our side and back yard a bit. Both are totally unlandscaped and for the most part are just sandy dirt (we're only a few blocks from the beach). Since we've had rain, quite a bit of tall grass has grown sporadically in these areas. My son likes to play in it. My husband will be trimming it soon, but I made a comment to him about how we should try to keep it short in the summer. I'd hate for our son to be playing in it and encounter a snake. My husband is originally from this area and insists that he's never seen a snake in the suburbs (we're in Bonbeach), but that doesn't make me worry about it any less. We were at a friend's house only 1/2 hour drive further down the peninsula last summer, and there was a brown snake in their yard (though they do live on a quite substantial acreage).

Am I being paranoid? Or is it not unheard of for dangerous snakes to occasionally wander into the 'burbs?

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Watcha,

TBH I'd be a bit careful. During the summer we get snakes in the reserve across the road from us. The people we bought our house from said not to have our dog offlead during the summer so she can't ferret in the long grass.

I've heard there are snakes in the bushland along the beach at Carrum. It'd get it cut just in case.

Dolly
PS email is on it's way!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
We are in QLD and have seen EVERYTHING (well, it feels that way :D)

I've seen 4 snakes so far, just out and about, one of them actually lives in our garden and it's about 40-50 cm long. There is also a foot long Skink lizard that lives in our garden too (it's an absolute cracker) but I'm so paranoid when the kids are in the garden, it's not like being back home where you don't even consider the garden to be a dangerous place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts