Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Hope all is well.

I am working for a huge multi-million dollar company in the Middle East & we invest millions of dollars to a US company.

I am looking to move to the US for work. Am I eligible to work for the company we invest in on the L1 or is there any other kind of visa? What are the requirements? I am currently holding a corporate sales manager position.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Still a little unclear ...

I assume L1 is for transferring within the same company?

If we invest in another company (substantially) would it be the E2 visa? Although, obviously I don't invest personally, but my company.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
In general, people get transferred on L1 visas where the person has skills/experience from the company outside the US, which are required by the company in the US.

The US company usually justifies employing/transferring said employee because their experience/skill is directly related to a vacancy they have in the US.

Does this general situation apply to you?

Also, the company in the US must be directly linked to the transferring company - owner, group headquarters, office based in US.

Your situation sounds as though its just an investment situation.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Consult a lawyer. There is a way where a company invests in a company in the US and gets an E2 for one of its employees. And within that system, it is possible to get a green card at the end.
I met people (Technical Engineer) who got his green card that way. But you will need a lawyer for this process as this is not something you can do yourself. And getting the green card afterwards will depend on a lot of things.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Whilst there is a place for immigration lawyers, and they might well know more than the applicant, I can't agree with the statement "this is not something you can do yourself".

After all, a lawyer just represents his or her client. Any process, any form, any communication is simply on behalf of the client. There is no process of immigration that necessarily requires a lawyer.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
You can even represent yourself in court if you want to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts