Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tickets booked to go to the uk to visit my new soon to be"home"!!! Am so excited, but defo so nervy.
I have never flown before, never even been in a taxi...
So does anyone have any advice for Heathrow airport? I have about an hour between connections, which from other ppl i have heard, will be barely if enough time to get between terminal 3 to terminal 5...Am stopping there to get to newcastle.
Also, does anyone know if Newcastle has a customs receiving? The reason I am asking, is because I am wondering if i have to recheck my bags in London, or they will go on their own.
So if anyone has any advice...ITS ALL WELCOME!!! THANKS yall!

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
I have tickets booked to go to the uk to visit my new soon to be"home"!!! Am so excited, but defo so nervy.
So does anyone have any advice for Heathrow airport? I have about an hour between connections, which from other ppl i have heard, will be barely if enough time to get between terminal 3 to terminal 5...Am stopping there to get to newcastle.
Also, does anyone know if Newcastle has a customs receiving? The reason I am asking, is because I am wondering if i have to recheck my bags in London, or they will go on their own.
One hour is a very tight connection, and personally I wouldn't do it, as you'll have to go through immigration (to enter UK, which alone can take an hour) and security before your connecting flight. 2-3 hours is more optimal. Are you travelling on a through ticket to Newcastle? Then at least your airline will be responsible for re-booking you on a later flight if you don't make it.
There is no customs as such at Newcastle, as you'll be arriving at domestic terminal. There is usually a telephone there to speak to customs agent if you have anything to declare. You won't have to recheck your bags if they are through-checked - ask your airline. If they are only checked to London, then you will have to go through immigration and baggage reclaim, customs (you usually just walk through green channel) before checking in for your next flight.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One hour is a very tight connection, and personally I wouldn't do it, as you'll have to go through immigration (to enter UK, which alone can take an hour) and security before your connecting flight. 2-3 hours is more optimal. Are you travelling on a through ticket to Newcastle? Then at least your airline will be responsible for re-booking you on a later flight if you don't make it.
There is no customs as such at Newcastle, as you'll be arriving at domestic terminal. There is usually a telephone there to speak to customs agent if you have anything to declare. You won't have to recheck your bags if they are through-checked - ask your airline. If they are only checked to London, then you will have to go through immigration and baggage reclaim, customs (you usually just walk through green channel) before checking in for your next flight.
Well i have already booked the tickets...i sure hope i can get thru ok. and yes, i am connecting in london to fly thru to newcastle...
this is my iten:
Departure 01/20/2010 04:55 PM Dallas [DFW] Terminal D
Arrival 01/21/2010 07:40 AM London [LHR] Terminal 3
American Airlines [AA] | Economy | AA 050 | Dinner, Breakfast
Duration 8:45
Departure 01/21/2010 09:55 AM London [LHR] Terminal 5
Arrival 01/21/2010 11:05 AM Newcastle [NCL]
American Airlines [AA] | Economy | AA 6720 | Snack
Duration 1:10
so it looks like i should have plenty of time?

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Well i have already booked the tickets...i sure hope i can get thru ok. and yes, i am connecting in london to fly thru to newcastle...
this is my iten:
Departure 01/20/2010 04:55 PM Dallas [DFW] Terminal D
Arrival 01/21/2010 07:40 AM London [LHR] Terminal 3
American Airlines [AA] | Economy | AA 050 | Dinner, Breakfast
Duration 8:45
Departure 01/21/2010 09:55 AM London [LHR] Terminal 5
Arrival 01/21/2010 11:05 AM Newcastle [NCL]
American Airlines [AA] | Economy | AA 6720 | Snack
Duration 1:10
so it looks like i should have plenty of time?
Looks as though you are on a single ticket on AA, with a codeshare flight on BA to Newcastle, and your luggage will be checked through to final destination. As such, if you don't make the connection (e.g. delayed arrival of incoming flight, immigration and security lines etc), BA will rebook you on a later flight. There are three more flights, at 1245, 1605 and 1905. You have 2 hours 15 min between flights, which should normally be sufficient. But delay at LHR is all too common. Transfer from Terminal 3 to 5 is pretty quick, with airside transfer bus every few minutes. But as I've said, AA/BA (they are partners on One World airline alliance) will look after you.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks as though you are on a single ticket on AA, with a codeshare flight on BA to Newcastle, and your luggage will be checked through to final destination. As such, if you don't make the connection (e.g. delayed arrival of incoming flight, immigration and security lines etc), BA will rebook you on a later flight. There are three more flights, at 1245, 1605 and 1905. You have 2 hours 15 min between flights, which should normally be sufficient. But delay at LHR is all too common. Transfer from Terminal 3 to 5 is pretty quick, with airside transfer bus every few minutes. But as I've said, AA/BA (they are partners on One World airline alliance) will look after you.
your swell love. thanks for the help. PHEW...was scared to death there for a second!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great to hear.

Great! You know, you can stay in UK up to 6 months you know...

And this is great so you can see if living in the UK is really for you. It is not Texas in the least, even when the 'newness' wears off.

Terminal 3 is a biggie for incoming foreign flights and immigration there is huge. Certainly don't dally about; take a pen and keep your passport near you on the plane, and fill in your landing card there.

Be sure Dallas checks your bags all the way through to Newcastle. Check when they put the tags on.... Then you don't worry a bit about that in Heathrow.

When you pass customs and immigration, follow the purple signs for Terminal 5 Flight Connections and you'll get to a bus, which will take you to T5. Its very easy and very well signed. It is a long walk so don't delay! Once you get to T5, there is another security screening.

Is this a one way flight? Upon return, you can check your bags all the way through back to USA but at Newcastle they most likely will NOT give you boarding passes through, but only until Heathrow. This is because you MUST re-check in with the carrier to the US MORE than 30 minutes prior to boarding. From boarding to 30 minutes, you will be taken off the manifest.

I had that happen last time going through on Continental. The flight into Heathrow was delayed, and by the time I went from T1 to T5, my check-in to the USbound flight was 25 minutes. They denied me boarding and I had to wait 4 hours for the next flight. ANNOYING. But this is why sticking with codeshares and within alliances is always recommended for rebooking reasons.

Enjoy! Its colder here than Texas... but lovely all the same.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

And this is great so you can see if living in the UK is really for you. It is not Texas in the least, even when the 'newness' wears off.

Terminal 3 is a biggie for incoming foreign flights and immigration there is huge. Certainly don't dally about; take a pen and keep your passport near you on the plane, and fill in your landing card there.

Be sure Dallas checks your bags all the way through to Newcastle. Check when they put the tags on.... Then you don't worry a bit about that in Heathrow.

When you pass customs and immigration, follow the purple signs for Terminal 5 Flight Connections and you'll get to a bus, which will take you to T5. Its very easy and very well signed. It is a long walk so don't delay! Once you get to T5, there is another security screening.

Is this a one way flight? Upon return, you can check your bags all the way through back to USA but at Newcastle they most likely will NOT give you boarding passes through, but only until Heathrow. This is because you MUST re-check in with the carrier to the US MORE than 30 minutes prior to boarding. From boarding to 30 minutes, you will be taken off the manifest.

I had that happen last time going through on Continental. The flight into Heathrow was delayed, and by the time I went from T1 to T5, my check-in to the USbound flight was 25 minutes. They denied me boarding and I had to wait 4 hours for the next flight. ANNOYING. But this is why sticking with codeshares and within alliances is always recommended for rebooking reasons.

its in the teens here...sooo cold!
thank you so much for giving so much info. i am so nervous! i sure hope i dont miss my flight!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

also, what is a landing card? where do i get it?
no its a round trip ticket. And i sure wish i could stay 6 months...but i need to work and save money ..
I have never flown and am not familiar with codeshares and alliances?

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
also, what is a landing card? where do i get it?
no its a round trip ticket. And i sure wish i could stay 6 months...but i need to work and save money ..
I have never flown and am not familiar with codeshares and alliances?
A landing or immigration card is something every non-EU citizen has to complete (it is given out on the plane) before arriving in UK. A simple form requiring your name, DOB, place of birth, nationality, occupation and address in UK.
A codeshare flight is a flight operating on an aircraft and crew ('metal') of one airline, say BA, but bearing flight number of another (e.g. AA). Your LHR to NCL flight is a codeshare, on BA metal but bearing (for you) an AA flight number. This is a common feature on airlines in the same global alliance (e.g. AA and BA both belong to One World; there are others like Star Alliance with Lufthansa, United, US Air etc) for marketing and better connections. It doesn't matter much to you if you only fly occasionally, but for frequent flyers, flying airlines of the same global alliance means being able to collect miles which give you better status (e.g. access to airport lounges, upgrades and bigger luggage allowance) and using miles for a free flight (you normally still have to pay for tax and charges). No harm in joining AAdvantage frequent flyer programme (it costs nothing) to start collecting miles. Go to AAdvantage | Frequent Flyer Miles | Travel Awards | AA.com.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A landing or immigration card is something every non-EU citizen has to complete (it is given out on the plane) before arriving in UK. A simple form requiring your name, DOB, place of birth, nationality, occupation and address in UK.
A codeshare flight is a flight operating on an aircraft ('metal') of one airline, say BA, but bearing flight number of another (e.g. AA). Your LHR to NCL flight is a codeshare, on BA metal but bearing (for you) an AA flight number. This is a common feature on airlines in the same global alliance (e.g. AA and BA both belong to One World; there are others like Star Alliance with Lufthansa, United, US Air etc) for marketing and better connections. It doesn't matter much to you if you only fly occasionally, but for frequent flyers, flying airlines of the same global alliance means being able to collect miles which give you better status (e.g. access to airport lounges, upgrades and bigger luggage allowance) and using miles for a free flight (you normally still have to pay for tax and charges). No harm in joining AAdvantage frequent flyer programme (it costs nothing) to start collecting miles. Go to AAdvantage | Frequent Flyer Miles | Travel Awards | AA.com.
joppa your too kind puttin up with my simple questions! thank you so much. and ill be sure and have a pen on hand...if i am too and dont get tackled by a stewardess thinking im gonna hijack the plane with it ;)

·
Administrator
51,576 Posts
It has been a while since I made connections at Heathrow, but usually there is some sort of customer service person who meets the flight and can advise you on connections. (I know you like to plan ahead, but sometimes it's easiest just to make use of whatever help is available.) You may not be the only person connecting on to Newcastle, in which case there may even be someone waiting to herd you all on to the next flight.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It has been a while since I made connections at Heathrow, but usually there is some sort of customer service person who meets the flight and can advise you on connections. (I know you like to plan ahead, but sometimes it's easiest just to make use of whatever help is available.) You may not be the only person connecting on to Newcastle, in which case there may even be someone waiting to herd you all on to the next flight.
Cheers,
Bev
Lol Bev, you know me too well! yer i defo like to plan ahead...but yes you are right. I was just so worried about missing the flight because of the checked baggage and small connection time!

thanks Bev :)
i am so looking forward to going! im dancin in my seat!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Lol Bev, you know me too well! yer i defo like to plan ahead...but yes you are right. I was just so worried about missing the flight because of the checked baggage and small connection time!

thanks Bev :)
i am so looking forward to going! im dancin in my seat!
Even if you missed the flight and there was no possibility to book you in another, going to London and taking a train to Newcastle from there would not be too difficult.

So don't worry too much and take things as they come (and be prepared for the unexpected, that is a skill you have to learn while in Britain)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Even if you missed the flight and there was no possibility to book you in another, going to London and taking a train to Newcastle from there would not be too difficult.

So don't worry too much and take things as they come (and be prepared for the unexpected, that is a skill you have to learn while in Britain)
ah thanks!
i am such a small townie...i will do as all of you advise. thanks so much

·
Registered
84 Posts
BA and AA

I know DFW is a hub for American Airlines, but I've come up against this a lot with British Airways and American Airways in the One World alliance.....

"British Airways' transatlantic flights to/from the U.S. are not valid for AAdvantage mileage accrual or redemption. "

Meaning, you may want to open up a BA frequent flyer account as well as American.

Just a small sticking point with these two airlines, which peeves me for years. :) Along with a fraction of miles for discounted economy fares.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.