Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wanting to go ahead and start sending over my resume to the UK...get some feelers out there. Anyone have any suggestions as to
1. how is a usa resume different than the uk CV (like what is on there that is diff)
2. what is the best way to word that i am coming...just not till the visa goes through...
3. is it better to send to a headhunter or just jobs in my field. I am a onsite hotel manager...but of course at this point will be taking annnny job

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
am researching it and some websites say that you are supposed to include marital status...some dont. then i have found some are saying you should have a photograph on the header....help!!!

·
Administrator
50,462 Posts
A British CV is a bit longer than a US resume, provided you have relevant information to include. Tone down the "marketing" aspect a little bit but you may want to explain your job titles and duties a bit more closely, as some job titles don't really "translate" to the other side of the Atlantic. You are supposed to include not only marital status, but also date of birth. (It's considered part of your i.d.) Photos are generally NOT advised. You can elaborate a bit more on your educational background, and some people include a list of specific training classes they have taken, whether through their employers or on their own.

Indicate in your cover letter that you will be coming to the UK "in the near future" to join your husband and no real harm in mentioning that your visa is in process. Most employers who have dealt with foreigners before will have some idea of the time table. You might mention your anticipated arrival date and suggest that you will be available for interviews after that date.

Start by applying directly to companies or job postings. If there are headhunters for your area of competence, they'll find you if they are interested in what your CV says. You don't have to worry about replying to "blind ads" (which are often headhunters) since I doubt you're too concerned that your current employer will find out you're looking.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks bev!will start asap ...am getting excited now...sort of a plan forming wooohoo!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.