Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
51,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw this in the NY Times and had to share it with the expats here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/25/opinion/25mayle.html?th&emc=th

For a few years, we got one group of trick or treaters, usually around 10 pm or so. But in the last year or two, no more. Perhaps the kids grew up and lost interest, but there has been a concerted effort by the Church to provide "alternative activities" the eve of Toussaint. Ah, another loss for the corrupting influence of America...
Cheers,
Bev
:usa2::usa2::usa2:

G

·
Quite liked the early Peter Mayle (A Year In Provence), but then he cashed in with multiple follow-up books pretty much along the same lines, and worse still lots of poor imitators suddenly emerged, attempting the same writing style. The original TV series starring the sadly deceased John Thaw was good too.

A lot of accurate insights about France and the French way of life amongst all his stories though, it has to be said. This one highlights the attraction/rejection dilemma of the French over all things Anglo-Saxon.

·
Administrator
51,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Back in the first few years they "did" Halloween here in France, my Auchan hypermarket put out a display with what they seemed to think was a "typical Halloween feast." (I can understand that the French would not bother with a holiday without food.) I think they confused Halloween with Thanksgiving.

Then, there was the table with pumpkins, gourds (hm, a bit less traditional), garlic (to ward off vampires) and onions (no clue why those were there, but they looked nice with all the other fall veggies.

Another year all the cashiers at Auchan wore costumes on Halloween.

But that was several years ago. A few years back, the Church started running rock concerts on October 31st to keep the kids busy and away from trick or treating.

I still lay in a stock of candy, just in case the local kids resurrect the custom.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.