Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to an Oxxo here in Guadalajara that, per the Allpoint locator website, was to have an Allpoint ATM.

There was an ATM, but there were no specific markings on the ATM indicating it was Allpoint. As I proceeded to make a withdrawal, there was a message indicating a bank fee of over 100 pesos would be charged.

So I cancelled the transaction.

My questions:

1) Was it actually an Allpoint ATM? Therefore, the fee would not have applied?

2) The Oxxo ATMs - are all of them Allpoint ATMs? I have noticed many Oxxos have no ATM.

3) At an ATM, is there a way I can tell its Allpoint? Something I can look for? I have the impression they are not great about external signage on ATMs here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't know anything about Allpoint ATM's but you should typically be paying around 25-35 pesos. I have seen as high as 78 pesos. 100 is crazy.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
In Mexico you will find Santander, Bancomer, BBVA Banamex and Red. Red seems to take them all but Allpoint is not common here hence the higher fee. There is conflicting information about an American opening a bank account here but someone on this forum has the answer. My first bank account here was Santander but I had a tesidente temporal, do you have the temporary resident visa? If so, I'd just open a Banamex or BBVA Bancomer account and end the agony.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Most people seem to either get an account with a Mexican bank so they can use that bank's ATMs for free, or else get a Schwab checking account or Citi Gold Visa account - these reimburse ATM fees. Any other bank that reimburses foreign ATM fees is good too, those are just the only two I know of.

You'll probably need to finish getting your RT card before you can open a Mexican bank account, but it won't cost anything except an hour or two in line to try sooner.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I withdrew cash from a Banca Mifel atm this morning. Near a busy shopping mall, for security. The machine had some english instructions, a bit raw, but enough for me to complete the task.

Stated Tarifa of 14.50, IVA of 2.32. Better than Banamex.

eastwind said:
You'll probably need to finish getting your RT card before you can open a Mexican bank account
I expect so. In the short term, if I have to pay a fee of the above amount once every 7-10 days, its acceptable.

Just in case anyone is interested, at my hotel I am now in the type of room I reserved. When I arrived, despite my reservation, they did not have one available, so I was put in a standard room instead. I must say the room is sweet. I have a balcony that is in the shade except for maybe 90 minutes in the morning (because of the direction I am facing, plus trees). Generally peaceful.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Facts Man, just the facts,lol...How about name of hotel, cost, size of room , room level, elevator, free breakfast, stay 3 get the fourth free????????

·
Registered
708 Posts
Different ATMs have different max withdrawal limits. Until I got a Schwab account straightened out and working I was using a card that didn't rebate fees. I settled on HSBC because they charge 33.35 pesos, but allowed me to withdraw up to that card's maximum daily limit in one shot. (9k pesos or even 10k back when the rate was more than 20). That was cheaper than paying a 23 peso fee for only a 6k peso withdrawal. OTOH right now you might not have a secure place to store cash, unless the hotels provide a safe, so maybe you don't want to be carrying that many pesos.

Keep a very close eye on your accounts for unauthorized withdrawals. Mexico has had problems with bank technicians being suborned by the bad guys, or fake technicians getting into machines, and installing bluetooth-enabled skimmers inside the ATMs connected to the ATMs own chip reader, so the skimmer invisibly captures ATM, pin and chip info, enough to allow them to make a duplicate card and use it at any ATM. The bluetooth comes into play because that's how they get the stored data from the skimmer, simply by walking near the ATM with a cellphone, connecting over bluetooth and downloading it.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
BBVA Bancomer has a phone app that alerts you of all transactions immediately, withdrawals and deposits. This helps ease anxiety about ATM skimmers and bad bank employees. This is 2017.

·
Super Moderator
8,994 Posts
BBVA Bancomer has a phone app that alerts you of all transactions immediately, withdrawals and deposits. This helps ease anxiety about ATM skimmers and bad bank employees. This is 2017.
Whenever a transaction is made to my Santander account, I immediately get an email informing me.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Yes Isla but perhaps we should also explore the same possibilities on our American cards.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
Allpoint? Never heard of it in all our years in Mexico, until a few folks from NoB mentioned it on this, and other webboards, as an option. Then, they all seem to have trouble finding Allpoint ATM service in Mexico. I am still not sure it is reliable, or even a real option. I have used the same US bank since 1959 and all ATM fees are rebated at the end of the month. Simple!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Yes, it's nice to be told when your card has been compromised. When it happened to me my bank called me pretty quickly. Their algorithms decided it was suspicious that I was taking out money from an ATM in california at the same time I was using the card at both ends of a flight from Cancun to Washington DC.

And the bank refunded the stolen money with few questions asked, eventually.

However it was still a hassle to have to get a new card and a new PIN mailed to me. I had two bills automatically going to the old card and it disrupted those arrangements. And for someone traveling with no fixed address like Urbanman it would be a bigger problem, and if he only had the one card it would be very problematic (but I think he said somewhere he has others).

In my case the timing was fortuitous because it was faster to have new cards and pins fedexed to me where I was staying in the US than it would have been to have them sent to Mexico if I'd been there when it happened. And I was staying at the same place for two weeks so timing wasn't tricky.

I don't know for sure that my card got skimmed using the trick I described above. I only know that the card was never out of my possession and somehow crooks were able to withdraw money from an ATM in california using a physical card with a chip that replicated my account number and they somehow had my pin, too.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
Skimming cards is becoming more and more common at self-service gasoline pumps in the USA, since the bad guys have passkeys and can install bluetooth transmitters inside the pump housing. Nothing suspicious shows on the outside. I hear that a smart phone can be used to detect the signal, but don‘t know the details.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes Isla but perhaps we should also explore the same possibilities on our American cards.
Most American banks have an ability to customize the sending of messages or alerts. Quite a bit of variety of what you can do, you just need to log into the website and get your knuckles dirty.

chicois8 said:
Facts Man, just the facts,lol...How about name of hotel, cost, size of room , room level, elevator, free breakfast, stay 3 get the fourth free????????
Many people can read this, so for reasons of privacy, I am not going to go full disclosure. Maybe after I check out. I'm paying under USD40 per night, thanks to advance planning, you can't get that rate now. My room is a suite. I have a kitchenette that includes two burners, a sink, a microwave, legitimate refrigerator and modest dining room table. Also there is a loveseat that turns into a bed. A very nice perk is having a balcony. There are elevators, I am on floor 3. No free breakfast. The TV even has roughly 5 channels broadcasting in English, mostly world news (including Fox news, which is of course more propaganda than news). I could have snagged a more basic room at this place for even less, but I chose to splurge a bit and go for more than just a bed and a shower.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Skimming cards is becoming more and more common at self-service gasoline pumps in the USA, since the bad guys have passkeys and can install bluetooth transmitters inside the pump housing. Nothing suspicious shows on the outside. I hear that a smart phone can be used to detect the signal, but don‘t know the details.
Under connection settings, my smartphone has an option to turn on bluetooth. If you have this, you should keep it turned off except when you want to use it. When you turn it on, it searches for other bluetooth devices, gives you their broadcast name, and offers to let you put in a password to connect to them or set your own password for other devices to connect to you. (Don't do that!) After scanning, I just turn my bluetooth back off.

If I see a signal from a bluetooth device when I am near the ATM, I don't use that ATM. I'll come back later in case the device was just someone else's phone with the bluetooth left on, hoping they've walked away. When you're standing in front of a row of ATMs you have no way of telling which the signal is coming from, or if it's from something else. You just know there's a bluetooth device broadcasting within 20 feet or so.

Originally the skimmers were using a particular bluetooth device broadcast ID that you could look for, but now that it's public knowledge which broadcast ID they used I assume they've changed it, so I steer clear of any bluetooth in the area.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts