Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am a french citizen going to move to UK and settle there with a job.
I have a concern that may I apply to benefits of UK like Jobseeker allowance,housing benefit,council tax benefit, etc....or do I have to be a mandatory UK citizen...
Please clarify my doubt!

·
Registered
38,983 Posts
No, but access to UK benefits by EU citizens is changing. To claim income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), you need to have lived in UK for at least 3 months. EEA jobseekers can no longer claim Housing Benefit. You need to be working or have worked in UK first.
You are eligible for most other benefits on the same basis as UK citizens, and you need to meet individual qualification criteria, such as how much national insurance contributions you have made. There is also what is called habitual residence test, which determines whether UK is your principle home or not and thus eligible for income-based benefits. There are no strict criteria, and a decision is made based on your overall connection with UK.
Furthermore, if you have been receiving JSA in France prior to moving to UK, you can continue receiving it for a limited period through the British government (DWP), but the money comes from France. Details on the French social security website.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.