Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After completing on my villa purchase in El Faro, CDS, on the 23rd last, the road trip has been planned and booked (ferry, flight back, etc).

I have got my satellite reception sorted on a test set-up in my back garden in the UK, and can get all the UK channels I want on Intelsat 907 (BBC1, BBC2, ITV, C4, Film 4), except Five, using a 90cm dish, an Icecrypt S1600 receiver, not bad for £59. So that will be coming with me.

I will cross by ferry to Dunkirk, then down the west side of France, stopping overnight in Poitiers. Next day I will travel across the border into Spain, and overnight in Burgos, then the next day down to Malaga, and El Faro.

I bought my car in Germany, drove there for two years, then when I retired I brought it back to the UK and re-registered it there, changing the headlights. Fortunately, I kept hold of the original headlights, so they will come with me too. I will start the car matriculation in Spain shortly after arrival and get the original headlights refitted.

After weighing all the alternatives I have opted for the home 4G internet as the best solution, until fibre reaches El Faro, so that is one of the first things I will sort on arrival.

Just staying for five days on this trip, flying back on RyanAir for 65 euros. The five days will enable me to gauge if I am missing anything in the villa I need, to bring with me on the final move, which will be in early September when it should be starting to get a little cooler.

I will sample Sunday lunch at the carvery in Benalmadena, as recommended in the forum, pay a visit to Iceland to see what's what, and try to visit the three modern jive dance venues.

Really looking forward to exciting new phase in my life. :)

Wibs

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
You sound like my husband, hanging onto things because "they might come in handy one day" - and you were right!:D

Hope your journey and your move goes smoothly, you seem very well organised so I'm sure it will.

·
Registered
19,394 Posts
Hope it's more or less what you want it to be, that you're prepared for at least some things to go wrong because they will and also hoping that you get lots of enjoyment out of this experience:)
As Rabbitcat says, keep posting! It's interesting to follow people's trials and tribulations, not to mention useful for many members.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts