Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all
New to the forum

At present myself and family are undertaking the sponsership route for Western Australia... Part of this process involves research into the chosen region,we have chosen Perth
Weve done a lot of research through books ,internet etc but I feel that this would be enhanced coming from the guys who live there...
1. why should we choose Perth or WA in general
2. What has Perth got to offer a young Family
3. work situation
4. cost of living
5 average 3 bed house price.
6. any bad points about Perth

Any help on this matter would be great...

·
Banned
934 Posts
Hi all
New to the forum

At present myself and family are undertaking the sponsership route for Western Australia... Part of this process involves research into the chosen region,we have chosen Perth
Weve done a lot of research through books ,internet etc but I feel that this would be enhanced coming from the guys who live there...
3. work situation
4. cost of living

I'm from Perth this question gets asked a lot.

1. Perth has the best climate, A modern reasonable large city with great beaches.

2. Maybe more maybe less depends on what you're family wants or needs are. Life is waht you make it anywhere.

3 Work situation is very good and the moment and getting better.

4 Amazingly expensive only one other city (Oslo) I have been to has cost more. Groceries are expensive, bills are expensive and recently I paid $15 9 quid for a pint.

5 Depends on the area. A 3x1 in an nice area about 1.5 million. 1.0 million for a decent aread, Anything 30km plus in a real dangerous and dodgy area may still cost half a million. 300-400 can get you into Mandurah which is popular with brits but IMO it's a no go area especielly at night and for the sake on getting some sunshine it isn't worth living there. A high percentage of brits who migrate to this area head back home within 2 years.

6 Perth has it's good things and bad things but you either like it or you hate it. The place can be very boring and does feel isolated but the weather is fantastic. Personally I think their are better places to go to but it depends on really what you want.

MY advice do a reccie beforehand see if you like it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi all
New to the forum

3. work situation
4. cost of living

I didnt realise Perth was so expensive for housing and everything else. We moved from Ireland to Melbourne but didnt have a choice of where to go as we were joining family here. But I have been more than happy with prices in Melbourne, cost of living and housing. A lot of people complain about the cost of living here but compared to Norther Ireland which is higher than the mainland UK we find it very good. Even childcare is half price!

We have thought about looking at other states and was always tempted by Perth, but after reading about the house prices and tha the suburbs are not that great we might just stick to Melbourne for now.

Do you have to go to Perth for your sponsorship or can you go to any state?

·
Registered
84 Posts
1. Great beach/outdoors lifestyle, very laid back city. Beach beaches I have ever seen in the world (in my opinion).
2. Plenty of great weather to head out for family outings, and lots of places to go (beaches, parks).
3. Perth is reliant on the mining industry (mining industry good=lots of jobs). At the moment the mining industry is still recovering from the GFC, but it is okay and is getting stronger. Perth is set to boom in the next 4-5 years.
4. Not too bad, Perth pays more for groceries than the other cities due to the isolation. Most other things are on par with the rest of Australia.
5. $400K in an outer suburb, 700K in a nice inner city suburb. There are plenty of nice areas in the outer suburbs.
6. Hideously isolated, it will cost you a lot to travel anywhere. Dinosaur trading hours, no Sunday trading other than the city, no late night trading other than 7 central suburbs or on Thursday. Terrible public transport, and the city never really puts anything on for you, so expect to find your own fun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1. Great beach/outdoors lifestyle, very laid back city. Beach beaches I have ever seen in the world (in my opinion).
2. Plenty of great weather to head out for family outings, and lots of places to go (beaches, parks).
3. Perth is reliant on the mining industry (mining industry good=lots of jobs). At the moment the mining industry is still recovering from the GFC, but it is okay and is getting stronger. Perth is set to boom in the next 4-5 years.
4. Not too bad, Perth pays more for groceries than the other cities due to the isolation. Most other things are on par with the rest of Australia.
5. $400K in an outer suburb, 700K in a nice inner city suburb. There are plenty of nice areas in the outer suburbs.
6. Hideously isolated, it will cost you a lot to travel anywhere. Dinosaur trading hours, no Sunday trading other than the city, no late night trading other than 7 central suburbs or on Thursday. Terrible public transport, and the city never really puts anything on for you, so expect to find your own fun.

HI..

I have positive skill assessment in mechanical engineer category(Professional Engineer, it is in the WESTERN AUSTRALIAN OCCUPATIONS IN DEMAND LIST). I work with oil and gas/marine/Structural Fabrication & it seems there are lots of related works in WA. I will be migrating alone and interested in Perth region.

I need some info on how to fill-up the WA state nomination application. Its about Settlement Information(Choosing region) & Financial Status(expenses etc.). Can you please help me out to answer the question below?

1. Please provide details of why you choose these regions ? (Perth /Peel)

2. How have you researched your preferred locations? Give details.

3. Do you have you any evidence that your skill is in long-term demand in your region of preference?

4.Estimate the cost of your relocation to WA ($AUD)

5. Provide details of how you researched the cost of living in WA:
6. Estimate the cost of living in WA, provide details.
7. Do you believe that you are able to sustain yourself (including
dependents) adequately if your application is successful?:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts