Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm driving from the Alicante area to Bilbao next week to catch the ferry to Portsmouth. Most route planning web sites give two route options, the first driving via Madrid and the second via Valencia and Zaragoza. Both drives seem to be of similar distance and duration so I was wondering if anyone has experience of this journey and could recommend which is the preferred route?
Thanks for any advice you can give.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I went to Santander and back last week and via Madrid both ways, I paid the e3.05 toll and it was worth it. Very little traffic even around Madrid except where the non-toll road joined back to the toll road after paying. Even then the traffic cleared quickly. I basically set the cruise control and waited until I needed fuel! :)

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hello,
I'm driving from the Alicante area to Bilbao next week to catch the ferry to Portsmouth. Most route planning web sites give two route options, the first driving via Madrid and the second via Valencia and Zaragoza. Both drives seem to be of similar distance and duration so I was wondering if anyone has experience of this journey and could recommend which is the preferred route?
Thanks for any advice you can give.
Valencia, Sagunto & across to Zaragoza etc; will be far less stressful. Road is all dual carriageway & less traffic .

You don't even need to think. :lol:

·
Registered
366 Posts
We are doing the journey in reverse and have been advised to go via Zaragoza for the same reason as gus-lopez says. I suppose it also depends if you are used to driving on busy Spanish roads, but our friends who have taken both routes have told us to avoid Madrid.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I actually found Valencia busier than Madrid, I only went on the R2/3 and M50 and it was much quieter than the roads around Valencia.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts