Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:)

We chose to sit outside…or IQ2012 and myself did as we were the first to arrive…
We found the place despite the best efforts of Edel, the lady who answered the telehone a number of times before thankfully transferring me to the delivery driver…
if you’re looking for it..
opposite the Holiday Inn…. is how I would describe it, …
It is definitely not…. just in front of the DU building… that’s a roundabout .

We took a look inside and it looked cosy enough but decided as it was probably the last chance we’d get to sit outside in the middle of the day before the summer, we would ..
We got the tables sorted out so we could seat seven, sat ourselves down, opened the menus and along came KC1 with her hubby, the happy couple sat down, Tropicana arrived not long afterwards, Wambuis a little after that…… and finally Ibkiss rolled in and we were seven…

I think the order was mushroom risotto, pizza, a selection of chicken pastas, and a hot chocolate with bread. I would like to mention Oregano’s was Sherry’s choice, however she decided to spend the week-end in London (…I mean seriously…? ):doh:
I had Chicken Crostini which was just ok, the pasta was fine but the chicken was very dry and over cooked, IQ2012 hadn’t eaten since the previous Tuesday so she just wolfed hers down and burped. :p Then she ordered a lemonade and sat with the contented look she usually reserves for evenings spent within an arms reach of a Shisha,.
Tropicana and Wambuis didn’t comment at all on the food to my recollection, and Ibkiss only to say that the chocolate was a little thick and it took too long for the bread to soak it up.

KC1 smiled pleasantly throughout the meal indicating she was happy , which in turn caused KC1’s hubby to smile, indicating he was also happy … in retrospect this was the first indication of how the newly- weds plan a life of marital bliss … the mantra…”a happy wife is a happy life”…playing no small part in this….

To be fair I think Friday is not a good day to visit Oregano’s in Media city. I imagine it caters for lunches during the week much better. There were only two staff on duty and there were two tables of six one inside and one outside , another one or two diners also came along.
So they struggled a little. The food was ok at best, and the service a little lacking.
I would not rush back.

We did not lack for conversation though, and we were having a really lovely time when the bill arrived so it was decided to bring the party elsewhere as it was still only mid afternoon.
The Rooftop bar at the Radisson was suggested by myself, ( the 1st of 2 mistakes that day ) and people readily agreed, so off we went on our merry way (it gets merrier) to
the cars. It took a little organising to get people in the cars , then get the cars parked , make our way to the roof top, find nice seats with shade , find the bar-man, this was a problem until we discovered the bar didn’t open until 7pm. :eek:
Now you would expect two or three…. the non drinkers in particular… to shake hands, mutter a few pleasantries and be off..wouldn’t you..?
Not this happy bunch…Wambuis saved the day with a quick suggestion… :clap2: and we hastily made our.. still merry way… to The Yacht Club at the Marina…
Some of us proceeded to get merrier. No problem finding a bar-man here….buy one get one free all day….the conversation flowed as freely as the Carlsberg and g&t…Wambuis love-juice got a mention again…:DTropicana..suggested Mexican food as our next cuisine…we all agreed and the venue and date are to be confirmed, KC1’s hubby expressed an interest in how the local ladies looked without their Abaya… and was subsequently evicted from the ladies where he was found seeking an answer… :eek: IQ shared her experiences at the water-park in Al Ain, not to be out-done the KC1’s shared their experiences climbing Kilimanjaro…( I **** u not )
IB and IQ curiously left early, and roughly around the same time…leading to immense speculation at the table…:gossip: IB only left to get tickets for the Fat-boy slim event…
he returned four hours later wearing a new shirt…IQ did not return…

Oh Such Fun we had….until ….yep…. mistake number 2 ….I allowed myself to be convinced…having requested some Fat Boy Slim tunes from the DJ…to tag along to the Final Sandance before the Summer…:alien:
Enough said…
I made a hasty retreat in a lovely sand-free taxi to my lovely sand-free apartment, and was in my lovely sand-free bed at 10.30 Mr Sandman arrived before 11..

Watch this space for the Mexican Extravaganza...:boxing:

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Alcohol-free Mexican = Maria Bonita Taco Shop & Grill in Jumeira 1/Umm Suqeim 3 (Umm Al Shief Road). Thank me later. Or now, if you'd prefer.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alcohol-free Mexican = Maria Bonita Taco Shop & Grill in Jumeira 1/Umm Suqeim 3 (Umm Al Shief Road). Thank me later. Or now, if you'd prefer.
Thanks Gav,
I think the first one you mention was Tropicana's choice, I could not remember it when I made the post...

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Avoid the tacos.. seems they think sprinkling a curry type flavor on the beef as maybe they think it makes it a bit more authentic ;)

(I dont eat beef, this is from a lovely indian ladies experience there)

·
Registered
959 Posts
:)

We chose to sit outside…or IQ2012 and myself did as we were the first to arrive…
We found the place despite the best efforts of Edel, the lady who answered the telehone a number of times before thankfully transferring me to the delivery driver…
if you’re looking for it..
opposite the Holiday Inn…. is how I would describe it, …
It is definitely not…. just in front of the DU building… that’s a roundabout .

We took a look inside and it looked cosy enough but decided as it was probably the last chance we’d get to sit outside in the middle of the day before the summer, we would ..
We got the tables sorted out so we could seat seven, sat ourselves down, opened the menus and along came KC1 with her hubby, the happy couple sat down, Tropicana arrived not long afterwards, Wambuis a little after that…… and finally Ibkiss rolled in and we were seven…

I think the order was mushroom risotto, pizza, a selection of chicken pastas, and a hot chocolate with bread. I would like to mention Oregano’s was Sherry’s choice, however she decided to spend the week-end in London (…I mean seriously…? ):doh:
I had Chicken Crostini which was just ok, the pasta was fine but the chicken was very dry and over cooked, IQ2012 hadn’t eaten since the previous Tuesday so she just wolfed hers down and burped. :p Then she ordered a lemonade and sat with the contented look she usually reserves for evenings spent within an arms reach of a Shisha,.
Tropicana and Wambuis didn’t comment at all on the food to my recollection, and Ibkiss only to say that the chocolate was a little thick and it took too long for the bread to soak it up.

KC1 smiled pleasantly throughout the meal indicating she was happy , which in turn caused KC1’s hubby to smile, indicating he was also happy … in retrospect this was the first indication of how the newly- weds plan a life of marital bliss … the mantra…”a happy wife is a happy life”…playing no small part in this….

To be fair I think Friday is not a good day to visit Oregano’s in Media city. I imagine it caters for lunches during the week much better. There were only two staff on duty and there were two tables of six one inside and one outside , another one or two diners also came along.
So they struggled a little. The food was ok at best, and the service a little lacking.
I would not rush back.

We did not lack for conversation though, and we were having a really lovely time when the bill arrived so it was decided to bring the party elsewhere as it was still only mid afternoon.
The Rooftop bar at the Radisson was suggested by myself, ( the 1st of 2 mistakes that day ) and people readily agreed, so off we went on our merry way (it gets merrier) to
the cars. It took a little organising to get people in the cars , then get the cars parked , make our way to the roof top, find nice seats with shade , find the bar-man, this was a problem until we discovered the bar didn’t open until 7pm. :eek:
Now you would expect two or three…. the non drinkers in particular… to shake hands, mutter a few pleasantries and be off..wouldn’t you..?
Not this happy bunch…Wambuis saved the day with a quick suggestion… :clap2: and we hastily made our.. still merry way… to The Yacht Club at the Marina…
Some of us proceeded to get merrier. No problem finding a bar-man here….buy one get one free all day….the conversation flowed as freely as the Carlsberg and g&t…Wambuis love-juice got a mention again…:DTropicana..suggested Mexican food as our next cuisine…we all agreed and the venue and date are to be confirmed, KC1’s hubby expressed an interest in how the local ladies looked without their Abaya… and was subsequently evicted from the ladies where he was found seeking an answer… :eek: IQ shared her experiences at the water-park in Al Ain, not to be out-done the KC1’s shared their experiences climbing Kilimanjaro…( I **** u not )
IB and IQ curiously left early, and roughly around the same time…leading to immense speculation at the table…:gossip: IB only left to get tickets for the Fat-boy slim event…
he returned four hours later wearing a new shirt…IQ did not return…

Oh Such Fun we had….until ….yep…. mistake number 2 ….I allowed myself to be convinced…having requested some Fat Boy Slim tunes from the DJ…to tag along to the Final Sandance before the Summer…:alien:
Enough said…
I made a hasty retreat in a lovely sand-free taxi to my lovely sand-free apartment, and was in my lovely sand-free bed at 10.30 Mr Sandman arrived before 11..

Watch this space for the Mexican Extravaganza...:boxing:
i must say this made me smile. thank you for posting it. you've got some talent to narrate :)

on a different note, how much did you spend (all food and mistakes included)?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i must say this made me smile. thank you for posting it. you've got some talent to narrate :)

on a different note, how much did you spend (all food and mistakes included)?
Thanks Cami,
glad you enjoyed reading this...it is great fun attending and almost as much fun summarising..
We started doing this a few months ago and the idea is to have an alcohol free lunch / meal where a group of people can get together from the expatforum and have a laugh over some nice food in an inexpensive restaurant... the cuisine and venue for the following meal is chosen as we eat on the day....the criteria in choosing is the suggester must know the restaurant, know the tel no etc, have eaten there, and the cost for the meal must be below 100d's...and that's it...oh and all attendees must be over 21....:)
What happens afterwards is up to the Gods...:love: sometimes it's a nice cup of coffee in a convenient coffeee shop...and sometimes it's as attached..it has always been good fun... what you spend after the meal is up to yourself...the meal cost 77d's on Friday...the drinks I don't know....and lets just forget about Fat Boy Slim...:eek:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
So you did end up going to Sandance, i somehow knew you would :)
were the KC's "convinced" to go there as well by Ibkiss ?

I did give my opinion of the food which was pretty much: "average", have had better Pasta, have had worse, though the Penne I dropped on my shirt did affect my mood and opinion slighty... towards the negative..

As for the next place, I did suggest Maria Bonita's, though i never tried it; going by the feedback here and from Wambuis the other day, i think we should be fine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I did give my opinion of the food which was pretty much: "average", have had better Pasta, have had worse, though the Penne I dropped on my shirt did affect my mood and opinion slighty... towards the negative..

As for the next place, I did suggest Maria Bonita's, though i never tried it; going by the feedback here and from Wambuis the other day, i think we should be fine.
Ha ha ...'wish I remembered the shirt incident for the summary Topicano..:p
Yeah you were right everything was just about average in Oregano's... the KC's,( not much convincing needed after the carlsberg...a happy wife is a happy life...:love:) Wambuis, IBKiss and ...:eek: ...yours truely...went to Fat Boy...
Maria Bonta's it is then.. sounds like the place all right...I think Friday 25th at 1.30 was the date and time.....?
Looking forward to seeing you and everyone there ...and also anyone else who would like to come along....:)

·
Registered
692 Posts

I think the convincing role was very well played by Wambuis .. LOL ! :p :p

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the convincing role was very well played by Wambuis .. LOL ! :p :p

I agree IB, I mean ..."for crying out loud"...was I EVER going to dance...? :rolleyes: I did say however ( under chemical influence ) that If everyone at the table went ...I would go...and Wambuis did not forget...
well it was fun...I think...:confused2:

·
Registered
196 Posts
La Isla Bonita

Why not come along and find out for yourself...?...:eek:
I will do so :clap2:

Just to make sure there are no more artistic licenses being taken by RedMac :boxing:

ah he has the gift of the gab :love:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Now of course if we want to be pedantic, i will point out that Tex Mex can be quite different from real Mexican :)

Personally I prefer New Mexican cuisine with its red/green chile, blue corn pancakes and what not, , all of which is more Mexican than Tex-Mex, but not quite full Mexican,

Confused? You should be....!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Sorry you guys didn't enjoy Oregano's - we go from work and the pizza's are always really good :(

Oh well - I'll lay off recommending places for a few weeks :nono:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have always liked the pizzas form there, but had one last week (tres amigos) and the chicken on it had bone and cartilage on it! Was not impressed

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.