Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a permanent resident I haven't left the country for a few years, but I'm told that passports are no longer stamped or stickered when a visa is extended.
My pal recently returned to Australia; the immigration dept at NAIA said that there was no record of his last visa extension on the computer, and he had to fork out P2,340 or exit would be denied.
If he's right about passports no longer being stamped/stickered, the opportunity for fraud is immense; at the BI field office the payment can disappear into a pocket; and at the airport an officer can say 'There's no computer record. You are an overstayer. Give me money!'
Is it true that passports are no longer stamped/stickered, and if so, has anyone else been caught out this way?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Yes Darby from my experience in the immi office that I frequent no stamps or stickers and I always bring all my receipts for the last 2 and a half years, my passport is stamped with my last entry in March 2020 and the rest is receipts.
I dutifully fill out the cr#ppy A5 visa extension form, hand that, my previous receipt, my passport and ACR card and out in 5 to 10 minutes.
When I fly out next I will bring my doc's with me, hopefully their computer works.

Not sure but could your pal may have misinterpreted that fine? Did he secure an ECC prior, if that was required?
Cert fee and fine?

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Super Moderator
4,660 Posts
As a permanent resident I haven't left the country for a few years, but I'm told that passports are no longer stamped or stickered when a visa is extended.
My pal recently returned to Australia; the immigration dept at NAIA said that there was no record of his last visa extension on the computer, and he had to fork out P2,340 or exit would be denied.
If he's right about passports no longer being stamped/stickered, the opportunity for fraud is immense; at the BI field office the payment can disappear into a pocket; and at the airport an officer can say 'There's no computer record. You are an overstayer. Give me money!'
Is it true that passports are no longer stamped/stickered, and if so, has anyone else been caught out this way?
I still carry my initial passport (expired) with the 13a Visa sticker in it whenever I check in and I won't be traveling anymore, I'm done with flying in anything so the airport isn't a worry anymore.

I thought that the passports had a stamp on them now but I guess not?

I have a briefcase just for my Immigration receipts and passport, last year they had no record of my annual check-in and wanted to bill me an extra 3,000 pesos plus so I also renewed my ACR card last year at the main office and made a copy of every single year I check in because my prior ACR card renewals would cost me upwards of 6,000 pesos but last year it was only 3,000 pesos for the very first time the Immigration Officer handed me back my annual check-in receipts.

·
Registered
348 Posts
There is a 2600p or so fee he has to pay to leave the country, this is normal. All permanent residents pay this fee, not sure if it is less at some airports. Maybe he had a misunderstanding in the explanation from BI on why he was paying.

·
Super Moderator
4,660 Posts
That was my shocker first time I left, you will always pay that when leaving it's a part of the immigration fee, my fee was more like 3,000 pesos.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
That's for ex military personal from memory, every one else it's US 360 per year and from memory if you stay in PH for over a year then you pay exit fees like 9A holders do after 6 months, perhaps someone can correct me on this as I may be wrong.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Super Moderator
4,660 Posts
That's for ex military personal from memory, every one else it's US 360 per year and from memory if you stay in PH for over a year then you pay exit fees like 9A holders do after 6 months, perhaps someone can correct me on this as I may be wrong.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.
Good one Steve, I wasn't aware of that but you are correct if you qualify for the SRRV Courtesy or Expanded Courtesy (Government worker, diplomate, military) the annual fee is only $10, here's a link and it's the table on page 18.
PRA SRRV guide

The other SRRV variations require an annual fee of $360.

·
Registered
722 Posts

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.
9a holders pay an ECC fee after 6 month and travel tax after a year.

MCA the fee is on page 18 not16.

Chuck

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thats terrible, another way they make money. The I.T system there seems so lacking.

Having said that when I extended my visa back in 2018 they put a sticker in the passport.

Good reminder from the others to keep all receipts.

On another note this airport fee to LEAVE the country seems unique to the Philippines - is it? I havent seen it in other Asian countries (well at least the ones ive been to) - Malaysia, India, Singapore etc.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I guess you are struggling with my english. I didn't use the word raise in the context of increase. I means to gather.
THIS time I believe it was you having problem with my English :) because
"They have LOWER tax at things RICH earn by ( =dividens and shares) than the tax percentage such as teachers pay..."
=What the RICH earn by ( =dividens and shares) have LOWER tax percent than e g teachers pay,
Taxes at WORK incomes are similar or higher (depending of incomer level)
while taxes at CAPITAL incomes are in average only around HALF of what they are in Sweden
so there are space to gather much more by change to higher taxes at capital. But I suppouse that will never happen as long as poor Filipinos vote as the rich want, which make around 80 % of the national elected are family or supporters to the top 10 rich families, which in reality mean they have 100 % of the power...

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
THIS time I believe it was you having problem with my English :) because
"They have LOWER tax at things RICH earn by ( =dividens and shares) than the tax percentage such as teachers pay..."
=What the RICH earn by ( =dividens and shares) have LOWER tax percent than e g teachers pay,
Taxes at WORK incomes are similar or higher (depending of incomer level)
while taxes at CAPITAL incomes are in average only around HALF of what they are in Sweden
so there are space to gather much more by change to higher taxes at capital. But I suppouse that will never happen as long as poor Filipinos vote as the rich want, which make around 80 % of the national elected are family or supporters to the top 10 rich families, which in reality mean they have 100 % of the power...
I think Art got it right.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts