Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
I had my Sharp split-type A/Cs cleaned last year by technicians from the Sharp service center in Manila and I think it was p1500 per unit as well. They used a pressure-type washer on low or medium and they came out VERY clean. The guys also did a good job of catching all the water and making sure all of our things in the room didnt get wet.

·
Registered
598 Posts
All you guys paying P1500 per unit for cleaning split units are being ripped off. I use the Panasonic authorized technicians, same guys that installed the units, and they charge P800 per unit.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've had my aircons cleaned by an authorized service center before too and it also ran about p800 per.

I was having one of my aircons fixed by Sharp (not an authorized service center, actual Sharp employees) and since they were there I had them do the cleanings for p1500 each. I wanted it done before I left the PI to go back to work so it was worth it for me to pay more. Had I been retired and on a fixed income, I would have waited and had the other guys come and do it for cheaper. This was in Quezon City.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Not all us guys are paying, some are capable of doing it on our lonesome. Maybe in 10 years I'll be too old to get up the ladder.
A site I work on in Oz has some 85 A/C units both split and window rattlers, I have a contractor come in to maintain/clean them, the air handlers, chiller units and pumps for the bigger installations are serviced by our power supplier, never a failure,,,,,,,,, it's not coming out of my pocket but we do have a budget and it's a heck of a lot more than 50 bucks per unit and I shopped it.
In the mean time I will fight/haggle with the architect, builder, electrician and labour to save bucks.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Not all us guys are paying, some are capable of doing it on our lonesome. Maybe in 10 years I'll be too old to get up the ladder.
A site I work on in Oz has some 85 A/C units both split and window rattlers, I have a contractor come in to maintain/clean them, the air handlers, chiller units and pumps for the bigger installations are serviced by our power supplier, never a failure,,,,,,,,, it's not coming out of my pocket but we do have a budget and it's a heck of a lot more than 50 bucks per unit and I shopped it.
In the mean time I will fight/haggle with the architect, builder, electrician and labour to save bucks.

Cheers, Steve.
I clean the ground floor outdoor units weekly insofar as I remove the grills and remove all the debris, birds nests etc that have built up.
However, there is no way I could clean the units, especially the indoor units as well as the professional guys.
They have pumps, blowers and high power washers to really clean everything well. Whilst at the same time they have plastic sheets for covering up all of the electronics to keep them dry and safe. They also use a plastic sheet to collect all of the water which is funneled into a large plastic drum. All of the furniture in the room close to the units is moved and put back carefully afterwards and all the curtains are carefully folded out of the way.
They do a first rate job, plus they are also able to carry out repairs. They've replaced damaged plastic drain tubes twice on 2 of my units, and at a friends place they replaced a capacitor to restore a faulty ac back into action. Good value at P800 a unit.

·
Super Moderator
3,282 Posts
Capacitors

They do a first rate job, plus they are also able to carry out repairs. They've replaced damaged plastic drain tubes twice on 2 of my units, and at a friends place they replaced a capacitor to restore a faulty ac back into action. Good value at P800 a unit.
I have a Carrier 1 hp standard wall unit and the only maintenance other than cleaning needed done since 2008 have been two capacitors.

On the last capacitor change it was incredibly hot (last year) and on a Sunday so I had to take a jeepney about 20 kilometres or 12 miles to get it repaired, the connections are many on the capacitor so I didn't want to remove and replace and it cost me about 800 pesos this time for new one, the technician mentioned that the power outages and instability with the power degrade these capacitors until they won't work anymore.

Lady riding in the jeepeny told me to buy another one (AC unit) ha haa... she didn't' speak English and this man told her that I only need to spend from 600 - 800 pesos for repairs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
"...the technician mentioned that the power outages and instability with the power degrade these capacitors until they won't work anymore."
I have a cousin who married a Filipino, they're currently residing in a place called Cebu, and let me tell you, the power outages in the Philippines is just insane. No wonder air conditioners break down easily in their country more than here in the U.S.

·
Super Moderator
3,282 Posts
I have a cousin who married a Filipino, they're currently residing in a place called Cebu, and let me tell you, the power outages in the Philippines is just insane. No wonder air conditioners break down easily in their country more than here in the U.S.
Hi Andrew and welcome to this side of the forum. They do sell the capacitors here, I've had my Carrier unit for 13 years and changed out the capacitor twice and the capacitor cost the first time was 600 pesos or $12 usd the second time it was 800 pesos or $14 usd, labor can be from 300 - 500 pesos.

Another note on how badly they gauge us on the price, the first time I inquired about the capacitor it was 400 pesos and then I went back about an hour later and the cost climbed to 600 pesos the lady claimed she was showing me a different capacitor but she sold me the same exact one I looked at.

It's been a long time since I changed out the capacitor and online they run 200 - 300 pesos.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts