Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
I was thinking of replacing my metal roof with a cement slab when it wears out. Mainly to cut down on the noise and eliminate the critters from getting through the roof.

Only concern would be if they heat up too much and retain the heat at night like the side walls do. Maybe being up high it would not make a difference:noidea:

·
Super Moderator
3,274 Posts
I was thinking of replacing my metal roof with a cement slab when it wears out. Mainly to cut down on the noise and eliminate the critters from getting through the roof.

Only concern would be if they heat up too much and retain the heat at night like the side walls do. Maybe being up high it would not make a difference:noidea:
I was stationed in Guam for 10 years and all the buildings there have a concrete roof it's usually flat and has an insulation top with a heavy duty plastic covering held on by metal stripping.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

Interesting thought and observations Zep, thought about that myself here for the extensions. You are correct with heat being transferred especially the roof as no shade, your walls get some shade depending on design.
The big problem is the additional weight and whether your foundations are up to that standard, then there is the cost, huge. Engineers, formwork, electrical modifications, perhaps suspended ceilings, moving house and renting while the work is happening.

Insulation batts in the ceiling and I mean like 4 to 6 inches thick and then you could replace windows with double glazed, install anew metal roof and you will save money opposed to a concrete roof, hey only my observations and where we are now.
I don't mind the rain on the roof, lets me know I don't have to water the garden.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I've always been proactive about rain on the roof, I aways use heavier sheet with a much higher pitch than the locals, plus ceilings. We do get a dull roar but can barely hears it over the neighbours snare drum roofs.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I've always been proactive about rain on the roof, I aways use heavier sheet with a much higher pitch than the locals, plus ceilings. We do get a dull roar but can barely hears it over the neighbours snare drum roofs.
Perhaps we are fortunate that the neighbours are too far away, their chickens, dogs or karaoke are rarely heard and if so just on a still day. But! We have the breaking waves only 50 metres away, sometimes quiet and like now some good breakers, roaring. I liken it to living next to a train line, you tend to block it out.

Back to the topic we are in the midst of a disagreement whether to spend PHP 450K for a generator to run my piggish wants with A/C and other dreams when the power goes out, Ben laughs and says what's wrong with a smaller generator and just run fans,,,,,,, in the middle of the day I like my A/C,,,,,,,,,,, in my heart he is right, we can save and retire to the bedroom A/C and only spend PHP 80K to run that A/C, the fridge and freezer, water pump, TV, internet,,,,,,,,,, more money for fuel. Old head on young shoulders.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Perhaps we are fortunate that the neighbours are too far away, their chickens, dogs or karaoke are rarely heard and if so just on a still day. But! We have the breaking waves only 50 metres away, sometimes quiet and like now some good breakers, roaring. I liken it to living next to a train line, you tend to block it out.

Back to the topic we are in the midst of a disagreement whether to spend PHP 450K for a generator to run my piggish wants with A/C and other dreams when the power goes out, Ben laughs and says what's wrong with a smaller generator and just run fans,,,,,,, in the middle of the day I like my A/C,,,,,,,,,,, in my heart he is right, we can save and retire to the bedroom A/C and only spend PHP 80K to run that A/C, the fridge and freezer, water pump, TV, internet,,,,,,,,,, more money for fuel. Old head on young shoulders.

Cheers, Steve.
We've had quite a bit of disruption lately due to 60k switch failure at the local grid take-off. They seemed to make hard work of fixing it. Off for 14 hours when it failed then all day whilst they replaced it then another day as they reshared the load then......

·
Super Moderator
3,274 Posts

Cheers, Steve.
A couple decades ago that 450K generator probably would have been a need but I've noticed everything keeps improving here and it's rare now if we lose power for any length of time.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
A couple decades ago that 450K generator probably would have been a need but I've noticed everything keeps improving here and it's rare now if we lose power for any length of time.
I am just renting here in Moalboal but in the last couple months I have only noticed a couple outages and they were only an hour or two.

·
Super Moderator
3,274 Posts
I am just renting here in Moalboal but in the last couple months I have only noticed a couple outages and they were only an hour or two.
Your out there a ways, I had no idea you do seem to get around. Luzon has over the years installed concrete poles and so the power grid has really improved but I'm not so familiar with the other islands. A couple decades ago on Luzon the power would be off all day long it was like a rotation or sharing of power 6 on 6 off.

The outages we've had were brief like the electrical company was switching power stations real early in the morning, sort of hurts the desk top when you don't have a battery back up system.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Your'e right Mark as is Ben, we don't need to waste money like that. Here we had a scheduled outing once for the whole day and a couple of 3 to 5 hour outages since I came back and we survived without the A/C or fans.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Your out there a ways, I had no idea you do seem to get around. Luzon has over the years installed concrete poles and so the power grid has really improved but I'm not so familiar with the other islands. ...
Not getting around as much the last couple of months. I have a good place here in a more rural area where it is nice and quiet, except for the roosters lol.

No cases of virus around and I can get by with only going out occasionally for groceries. I laid in a large stock of canned and dry goods that is still lasting after 6 weeks so all I need is fresh stuff. If the beaches and dive shops were open I would be a happy camper.

In my travels I see a lot of concrete poles especially on transmission lines, local distribution lines are still often steel poles, bent from traffic. Many places I see stockpiles of concrete poles or some laid along the road so it looks like a large upgrade to the system is ongoing just about everywhere.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Regarding Split-AC's. Having used both, I chose Split AC's over window type but buyer beware. Ensure you have a Split AC cleaning crew available in your area or learn what's involved & how to do the cleaning yourself.

Cleaning Window type AC's is a lot easier than Split type AC's. Each month I clean the filters, cut and tape an Airfil (from ACE Hardware) cut to size AC filter onto the plastic filter.

Every 4 months, 2 guys from Panasonic AC repair come to the house to clean the unit which involves removing the blower & other parts placing a tarp funnel & flushing the unit on the wall and other parts that were removed outside. Cost is P1,500

YOUTUBE has videos on cleaning Split AC units.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
A window unit you can just take outside and use the hose (let dry well before plugging in again though), split unit requires some knowledge, tools and equipment to do well without damaging the finishes. 1500 is well worth it. I think I was 2500 in Manila last year.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Your'e right Mark as is Ben, we don't need to waste money like that. Here we had a scheduled outing once for the whole day and a couple of 3 to 5 hour outages since I came back and we survived without the A/C or fans.

Cheers, Steve.
In more normal times if you can ever call the Philippines normal we would be off to the malls during scheduled brown-outs and use their aircon.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
In more normal times if you can ever call the Philippines normal we would be off to the malls during scheduled brown-outs and use their aircon.
Yes normal times, the mind boggles let alone where we are now.
The power went out yesterday afternoon for about 5 hours, high winds, probably a tree over the lines, thank god for gas cooking, candles and torches and more so a cooler day because of the rain. While we love our A/C, we live without it when the power goes down and improvise.
I peered out the door to our neighbours one block back and many were lit up like Christmas trees, every possible light on as opposed to when the power is on,,,,,,,,, oversized generators that they have to load up? Or "look what I've got". My turn is coming but will be minimal for comfort only. A/C, lol.

Cheers, Steve.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts