Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
yeah you are right Gary D. Only the split units. I have never seen a house with ac duct work installed there. I have been to a lot of new subdivisions like Camella homes and never saw central units like in the USA. Also, I am sure the cost is sky rocketing to cool whole house there.

Art
Ducted A/C is available in the Philippines if you are prepared to pay the costs of these beasts as opposed to reduced installation and running costs of split systems single and multiple heads, wall/window mounts for smaller areas. My neighbour up the road has ducted A/C throughout his mansion on the beach, PHP 1.5M then a further 1.5M for a solar system to negate the running costs through the day. Up to 3 million pesos to cool your house? Some people have too much money and his electricity bill is still more than ours.

Even if I ran all our A/C units, wall and split day in day out my bill would/could be 10K per month, that's 120K per year, let's say 150K per year, do the sums for 20 years on. Cool only what you need, reduce purchase and running costs.

The other thing I will add is for the last 8 or 9 years being back and forward here is I realised I was a soft c*ck and needed to acclimatise, Already from a semi tropical locale in Oz am manning up.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I think the problem is there's no reel insulation here. We have the 10mm foil backed foam against the underside of the roof sheets. I would think the effectiveness is minimal at best. For it to half work you would need to force ventilate the roof space. I will be laying the foam on the ceilings as well once the shops are open, it's only going the be a couple of hundren dollars to do the whole house, saying that that's probably more than most of the neighbours spend on their whole roof. We have some sofit venting but to my way of thinking not sufficient, but I think until I can force some air flow the roof space is going to be well into the 40s. Mind you the water storage tank gets nice and warm.
Gary, Spend some more dollars on decent insulation, R3.0 batts at the minimum (that was the best I could find here), Higher outlay initially but you will recoup the costs over the years with reduced running costs. Our mother country (England) boasts central heating (radiators or floor heating) open and closed fire places (combustion stoves, pot belly stoves) and the winner has to be double glazing, a sad affair here as it doubles the cost for some inexplicable reason with building costs, Filipino consumption market appears be 30 years behind, construction methods also lack. Definitely not hanging on this fine country but there are opportunities for eco and efficient designs/construction methods available and not necessarily at higher costs.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Gary, Spend some more dollars on decent insulation, R3.0 batts at the minimum (that was the best I could find here), Higher outlay initially but you will recoup the costs over the years with reduced running costs. Our mother country (England) boasts central heating (radiators or floor heating) open and closed fire places (combustion stoves, pot belly stoves) and the winner has to be double glazing, a sad affair here as it doubles the cost for some inexplicable reason with building costs, Filipino consumption market appears be 30 years behind, construction methods also lack. Definitely not hanging on this fine country but there are opportunities for eco and efficient designs/construction methods available and not necessarily at higher costs.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.
Ahh but if your grandad did it that way. A lot of the more modern materials when available they don't seem to be able to use properly or of a two component solution only one part is available.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Ahh but if your grandad did it that way. A lot of the more modern materials when available they don't seem to be able to use properly or of a two component solution only one part is available.
While I never met my grandad/s I certainly listened to my father. If you look after the pennies the pounds look after themselves. We plan, take risks when viable but never waste and focus on the future unlike my landing spot here in the Philipines, slowly slowly.

Cheers, Steve.

Oh and as my dear old Dad taught me, penny wise, pound foolish. Research.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
We just spent 500k on our new roof, it's got the Spanish effect look, works really well but the ridge caps are crap, you have to cut the profile over the tile with tin snipes. They made such a mess of the first lenght we made them stol and find someone who could do it neatly, the second guy was better but not by much. A bit more thought by the manufacturer would have gone a long way. We visited their plant and they were rolling to lenght from massive rolls of pre finished sheet, some serious investment but ridge caps looked like an after thought.

I bought an antenna distribution amp from Manila, obviously Chinese made. The F type connectors are very slightly bigger than the local fittings so they supply a set of adaptors,the trouble is the local cable diameter is too small to push over the adapter.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
While I never met my grandad/s I certainly listened to my father. If you look after the pennies the pounds look after themselves. We plan, take risks when viable but never waste and focus on the future unlike my landing spot here in the Philipines, slowly slowly.

Cheers, Steve.

Oh and as my dear old Dad taught me, penny wise, pound foolish. Research.
I was thinking more they do thing like their father and his father before. Learning new ways is not in their nature and will ultimately resort to bodging it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
We just spent 500k on our new roof, it's got the Spanish effect look, works really well but the ridge caps are crap, you have to cut the profile over the tile with tin snipes. They made such a mess of the first lenght we made them stol and find someone who could do it neatly, the second guy was better but not by much. A bit more thought by the manufacturer would have gone a long way. We visited their plant and they were rolling to lenght from massive rolls of pre finished sheet, some serious investment but ridge caps looked like an after thought.

I bought an antenna distribution amp from Manila, obviously Chinese made. The F type connectors are very slightly bigger than the local fittings so they supply a set of adaptors,the trouble is the local cable diameter is too small to push over the adapter.
Wow must have been a large roof Gary. The roof I had installed on my Beach house was 140 sqm, and I pad P70K.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Ducted A/C is available in the Philippines if you are prepared to pay the costs of these beasts as opposed to reduced installation and running costs of split systems single and multiple heads, wall/window mounts for smaller areas. My neighbour up the road has ducted A/C throughout his mansion on the beach, PHP 1.5M then a further 1.5M for a solar system to negate the running costs through the day. Up to 3 million pesos to cool your house? Some people have too much money and his electricity bill is still more than ours.

Even if I ran all our A/C units, wall and split day in day out my bill would/could be 10K per month, that's 120K per year, let's say 150K per year, do the sums for 20 years on. Cool only what you need, reduce purchase and running costs.

The other thing I will add is for the last 8 or 9 years being back and forward here is I realised I was a soft c*ck and needed to acclimatise, Already from a semi tropical locale in Oz am manning up.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.
There is another system becoming popular here, Centralised air con. It is basically, a split unit system, with indoor units in the areas that need cooling, but only one large outdoor unit to handle the total load. I did consider this when installing my system but decided against it on the grounds that if the OD unit were to fail, I'd lose cooling in the whole house. Of course it's possible to install 2 OD units, one as a back up, but the cost goes up of course.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Wow must have been a large roof Gary. The roof I had installed on my Beach house was 140 sqm, and I pad P70K.
Wow Dave that was cheap, I have been getting quotes for .6mm (24#) coloured roof deck and it is the same price as Australia retail @ $14.00 or PHP 462.00 PerM2. While I have no idea why it's the same cost as Oz given this countries economy and cheap labour costs it is what it is. We have about 300M2 with extensions and replace existing roof so roughly PHP 140K just for the roof iron before flashings, gutters, fixings and of course the big one labour. As a plumber for over 40 years the labour costs are generally the same as the material costs.
I would be keen to get your suppliers info and if they operate in Luzon. All in all well done on securing a great price.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Gary, Spend some more dollars on decent insulation, R3.0 batts at the minimum (that was the best I could find here), Higher outlay initially but you will recoup the costs over the years with reduced running costs.

Cheers, Steve.
I would love to add insulation but so many critters get into the area under my roof that it would get destroyed within a year.

I have a few nephews climb up into the crawl space once or twice a year and they carry out a rice sack full of crap like dead birds, bats, dirt, nests.

And in case you ask there is no way to seal the roof line from allowing all these critters in. The roof design is so freaking complex (5 dog houses) that it is not possible. Gaps everywhere that chicken wire can't plug.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
There is another system becoming popular here, Centralised air con. It is basically, a split unit system, with indoor units in the areas that need cooling, but only one large outdoor unit to handle the total load. I did consider this when installing my system but decided against it on the grounds that if the OD unit were to fail, I'd lose cooling in the whole house. Of course it's possible to install 2 OD units, one as a back up, but the cost goes up of course.
The biggest problem I see here are the building methods, nippa hut heats up as the day heats up and cools just as quickly, rendered block houses while secure against typhoons and hopefully earthquakes store external temperatures through the day even if shaded then radiate/disperse energy through the evening, I remember Mark, MCA mentioning planting trees to the east and west to block the direct sun, great move but for some that's not possible, regardless the solid walls are the equivalent of a heat bank. Even if you shade your house with trees, solid walls exposed to the external ambient temperature are heat sinks, difficult to stop. I think you made the right move Dave, several cheaper A/C systems, zone control etc instead of spending 50 to 100% more for a top of the line central system that you may never utilise to its full potential. For us we are in the living area most times and as said, turned the split system on once for a couple of hours in the last 2 months, sea breezes etc. bedroom different story, 14/16 hours a day. The other thing even though I come from a semi/sub tropical area where we lived in Oz it is far more humid here even if the temperatures are lower, I am slowly acclimatising and will cope.

Sorry for yet another ramble.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I would love to add insulation but so many critters get into the area under my roof that it would get destroyed within a year.

I have a few nephews climb up into the crawl space once or twice a year and they carry out a rice sack full of crap like dead birds, bats, dirt, nests.

And in case you ask there is no way to seal the roof line from allowing all these critters in. The roof design is so freaking complex (5 dog houses) that it is not possible. Gaps everywhere that chicken wire can't plug.
All the fun of the fair like the rest of us we deal with it the best way possible. For us it is only geckos, large and small but not in the ceiling, very clean apart from dust. The geckos are keen in the house and we live with them, no spiders etc but a regular clean of the droppings.
I have seen mice try to nest in the fibre glass insulation in some of my houses in Oz but I think it's uncomfortable for them the same as humans.
I want/need to hire your nephews to finish installing the insulation in the 3 bedrooms/2 bathrooms as it's too hot for this old soul to venture into the roof space.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Wow Dave that was cheap, I have been getting quotes for .6mm (24#) coloured roof deck and it is the same price as Australia retail @ $14.00 or PHP 462.00 PerM2. While I have no idea why it's the same cost as Oz given this countries economy and cheap labour costs it is what it is. We have about 300M2 with extensions and replace existing roof so roughly PHP 140K just for the roof iron before flashings, gutters, fixings and of course the big one labour. As a plumber for over 40 years the labour costs are generally the same as the material costs.
I would be keen to get your suppliers info and if they operate in Luzon. All in all well done on securing a great price.

Cheers, Steve.
Our roof is about the same size and cost about the same for the roof sheets, gutters and spandals. The trusses were about that again plus a couple of hundred k for labour.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The biggest problem I see here are the building methods, nippa hut heats up as the day heats up and cools just as quickly, rendered block houses while secure against typhoons and hopefully earthquakes store external temperatures through the day even if shaded then radiate/disperse energy through the evening, I remember Mark, MCA mentioning planting trees to the east and west to block the direct sun, great move but for some that's not possible, regardless the solid walls are the equivalent of a heat bank. Even if you shade your house with trees, solid walls exposed to the external ambient temperature are heat sinks, difficult to stop. I think you made the right move Dave, several cheaper A/C systems, zone control etc instead of spending 50 to 100% more for a top of the line central system that you may never utilise to its full potential. For us we are in the living area most times and as said, turned the split system on once for a couple of hours in the last 2 months, sea breezes etc. bedroom different story, 14/16 hours a day. The other thing even though I come from a semi/sub tropical area where we lived in Oz it is far more humid here even if the temperatures are lower, I am slowly acclimatising and will cope.

Sorry for yet another ramble.

Cheers, Steve.
It's either a lot cooler here in Davao, which is unlikely, or I've acclimatized myself to the heat. Seriously, I don't find the heat too bad at all, in fact I sit in the garden most days, I am as I write this. During the current lockdown, as a senior I'm not allowed out, so I am literally in my garden all day. I do like aircon in the bedroom at night, really cold, snuggled up under the quilt, but for the rest of the house, the aircon is only really on for the huskies. They find it hot between midday and 4pm. Crazy I know, I'm sat in the garden and the huskies are inside with the wife in the aircon.
Our beach house doesn't have aircon at all.
Maybe my 38 years living in the Middle East has something to do with it. In the summer, the minimum temperature at night is often 40C, so here is not a problem.

·
Registered
598 Posts

Cheers, Steve.
Hi Steve. My price included roof insulation and labour for the installation. Included gutters etc, but not the roof struts. My builder prepared them in readiness for the roof installation.
He's based in Davao so I don't think there's any chance of using him in Luzon. I'll dig out a couple of photos.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Hi Steve. My price included roof insulation and labour for the installation. Included gutters etc, but not the roof struts. My builder prepared them in readiness for the roof installation.
He's based in Davao so I don't think there's any chance of using him in Luzon. I'll dig out a couple of photos.
Well done Dave, wish me luck finding a decent costing as we get closer.
Sorry that we wandered of the A/C topic, my bad.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
242 Posts
How to Post Pics

How to post pics?
Hogrider, I had the same problem a few weeks back. Here's a copy of the solution that I posted previously.

'I’ve noticed others are experiencing difficulties in attaching a document to a post, so here are my findings. I’ve just had another go at attaching a document and I think I’ve sussed out where I went wrong. I've attached the comparison table referred to in post ⋕12.

1. write up the post
2. scroll down to the ‘Additional Option’ section and under ‘Attach Files’ select ‘Manage Attachments’.
3. from the ‘Manage Attachments’ box, select ‘Browse’, which enables you to choose the relevant file from your desktop or wherever.
4. click on the ‘Open’ box if you’re using a MacBook
5. select ‘Upload’ from the ‘Manage Attachment’s box and 'Bob's your uncle'.

I missed out item 5 before, thinking that when I selected the ‘open’ box that was the end of the matter. This may help some of you.'

Good luck!

21 - 40 of 70 Posts