Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have bought/built a small property (holiday home) near Angeles to use when visiting my wife's relatives as per this thread: http://www.expatforum.com/expats/philippines-expat-forum/952050-building-small-vacation-home-building-costs.html

While I was there I visited some of the electrical stores in SM Clark to take a look at air conditioning options. I had never bought an airconditioning unit before and was therefore quite taken aback at the prices which seemed to range from 40,000 pesos upwards for any decent 'split-type' air conditioning unit.

Anyway, two questions as a result of this:

1) Do you have any particular recommendation on a specific shop or brand that is reliable and effective (and will not break the bank)? It would need to be capable of at least 12,000 to 15,000 BTU/KJ based on the size of our house.

2) Am currently living in Malaysia and when I compared the air conditioner prices here it seemed that they were less than half the price of those in the Philippines. Can anyone advise if we would need to pay any tax/duty if we simply purchased a unit here and shipped it ourselves? If so - any idea how much that tax/duty would be?

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Have bought/built a small property (holiday home) near Angeles to use when visiting my wife's relatives as per this thread: http://www.expatforum.com/expats/philippines-expat-forum/952050-building-small-vacation-home-building-costs.html

While I was there I visited some of the electrical stores in SM Clark to take a look at air conditioning options. I had never bought an airconditioning unit before and was therefore quite taken aback at the prices which seemed to range from 40,000 pesos upwards for any decent 'split-type' air conditioning unit.

1) Do you have any particular recommendation on a specific shop or brand that is reliable and effective (and will not break the bank)? It would need to be capable of at least 12,000 to 15,000 BTU/KJ based on the size of our house.

2) Am currently living in Malaysia and when I compared the air conditioner prices here it seemed that they were less than half the price of those in the Philippines. Can anyone advise if we would need to pay any tax/duty if we simply purchased a unit here and shipped it ourselves? If so - any idea how much that tax/duty would be?

Many thanks in advance!
Your split AC's should not cost that much.
Here are prices I have been quoted in Davao
Brand LG 1.5HP Standard type P23,500. Inverter type P30,500
Brand Panasonic 1.5HP Standard type P28,000. Inverter type P38,000

Unfortunately Malaysia is 50Hz supply same as UK, whereas Philippines is 60Hz supply. You will face problems using AC units bought from Malaysia.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Try 'Savers' on McArthur highway and if you're going to run it for more than 6 hours a day then definitely get the inverter type.
Bear in mind that the price you negotiate does not include installation which has to be done by an approved installer or it invalidates any warranty.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Also try looking at the S&R in Pampanga, they do seasonal deals so the selection now might not be as good as during the hotter times of the year but you can find good pricing on selected units. As was already posted, you will need to pay for professional installation...

·
Registered
313 Posts
For a vacation house, I'd personally go with window type units.
For a permanent/retirement house, I'd have split types installed.

As for inverters, some expats have had problems with them, especially with lizards shorting out the ridiculously expensive controller boards. An expat living near IloIlo has a website detailing the building of his house there and he has several posts where he discusses the pros and cons of purchasing an inverter type aircon vs a regular type.

If its ok with JetLag, I'll see if I can find the site and post it here later.

·
Registered
604 Posts

As for inverters, some expats have had problems with them, especially with lizards shorting out the ridiculously expensive controller boards. An expat living near IloIlo has a website detailing the building of his house there and he has several posts where he discusses the pros and cons of purchasing an inverter type aircon vs a regular type.

Yes I read that story and several others when researching the AC's for my house. It is true that the control circuitry is much more complex for the inverter types. In the end I decided to hedge my bets, I am going for 1.5HP standard split types in the bedrooms and 2HP inverter types in living areas downstairs.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts

That is Bob Hammerslag in Tigbuan, about 20 Kms out of Iloilo proper. He & I have conversed a couple times some time ago but I haven't heard from him for the last year & a half. I remember Tukaram had some not-so-good thoughts about inverter appliances too in a thread about appliances awhile ago. I think he was a HVAC Tech in his working life.

Fred

Fred

·
Registered
470 Posts
Have bought/built a small property (holiday home) near Angeles to use when visiting my wife's relatives as per this thread: https://www.expatforum.com/expats/philippines-expat-forum/952050-building-small-vacation-home-building-costs.html

Many thanks in advance!
I have used window and split. I will never buy a window unit again. They are getting expensive and unsanitary.

Once you buy a split you will never go window again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For me, central air conditioning is the most efficient and powerful way of keeping your whole house cool. With greater indoor comfort, cooler temperatures, and lower humidity, you could also expect a lower energy bill, you could check LG APNQ36GRA0 or Panasonic CSUS18SKQ units.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
For me, central air conditioning is the most efficient and powerful way of keeping your whole house cool. With greater indoor comfort, cooler temperatures, and lower humidity, you could also expect a lower energy bill, you could check LG APNQ36GRA0 or Panasonic CSUS18SKQ units.
We have just put in Panasonic's and the electricity bill has skyrocketed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
aircon

we have had a Mitsubishi split aircon in the bedroom for 2 years now , the wife usually goes to bed around 9pm and again at around 12.30 pm until 3pm I wake up around 8am
our electric bill averages around 1500 pesos a month which covers 2 fridges,electric oven,kettle and aircon and a fan running all day in the living room we had a window type but it was too noisy for us the split aircon is very quiet and very effiecient
we clean the filters weekly and its been serviced each year

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Isn't that the usual case with central air vs window types?
Well we have 2 x 1 Hp splits and one 2Hp split in the new house. The latest inverter types, super efficient, compared to two old 1Hp window types in the old house. I was expecting not to see much overall difference. Tess will be paying the 1st full month tomorrow but I'm expecting a large increase.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Well we have 2 x 1 Hp splits and one 2Hp split in the new house. The latest inverter types, super efficient, compared to two old 1Hp window types in the old house. I was expecting not to see much overall difference. Tess will be paying the 1st full month tomorrow but I'm expecting a large increase.
I'm curious to see/hear your figures and opinion on the difference Gary. Is there much of a difference in size, insulated etc from the old house to your new house?
When we purchased our house here only the 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms had ceilings, the living areas, hallway and laundry were open to the iron roof. So when it was 33C outside inside was 39/40C but cooled down quickly overnight. New ceilings and decent insulation batts negated the temperature difference but also holds the heat overnight. Before new ceilings the temp would be 30C at 5am, now it's 32C at the same time even though it's only 26/27C outside, thermal mass I suppose, rendered concrete block.

I have been monitoring our A/C usage, the living areas we have not run the split system since I returned mid March, the main Bedroom we run the wall/window (new a year ago and from memory 1.25HP) for about 15/16 hours a day (middle of the day we watch TV in the bedroom) our last bill was PHP 4,300.00, affordable but interestingly when I'm not here the monthly bill is only PHP 1.6 to 1.8K but that's through the cooler months and Ben says he mostly uses a fan in the bedroom overnight.

Interestingly the other day I found that there are some manufactures of split systems that coat susceptible components with a resin to prolong life in salt environments which is important as we need to install more A/C units as our extensions happen.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
682 Posts
hey Henrycollins---

As far as I know they don't make a central AC unit in the Philippines. I am a general contractor here in the states. When I was there in the Philippines I never saw a central unit in a house. Most all were window units and wall units. They don't run duct work to individual rooms when building a house there as I ever saw there. So they can't install a central unit inside and a condenser outside.

Art

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
hey Henrycollins---

As far as I know they don't make a central AC unit in the Philippines. I am a general contractor here in the states. When I was there in the Philippines I never saw a central unit in a house. Most all were window units and wall units. They don't run duct work to individual rooms when building a house there as I ever saw there. So they can't install a central unit inside and a condenser outside.

Art
I've only ever seen the single splits, wall unit with external compressors here in the Philippines. Googling looks like if you go commercial you can find double and triple compressors

·
Registered
682 Posts
yeah you are right Gary D. Only the split units. I have never seen a house with ac duct work installed there. I have been to a lot of new subdivisions like Camella homes and never saw central units like in the USA. Also, I am sure the cost is sky rocketing to cool whole house there.

Art

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
yeah you are right Gary D. Only the split units. I have never seen a house with ac duct work installed there. I have been to a lot of new subdivisions like Camella homes and never saw central units like in the USA. Also, I am sure the cost is sky rocketing to cool whole house there.

Art
I think the problem is there's no reel insulation here. We have the 10mm foil backed foam against the underside of the roof sheets. I would think the effectiveness is minimal at best. For it to half work you would need to force ventilate the roof space. I will be laying the foam on the ceilings as well once the shops are open, it's only going the be a couple of hundren dollars to do the whole house, saying that that's probably more than most of the neighbours spend on their whole roof. We have some sofit venting but to my way of thinking not sufficient, but I think until I can force some air flow the roof space is going to be well into the 40s. Mind you the water storage tank gets nice and warm.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts