Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So so sorry if this is a question that has been asked a thousand times but we're kind of new to this.

Just in the opening stages of looking into moving to Australia, Perth to be exact. Having already had one query with one migration agent (who got my husbands name wrong!) I am wondering if this is the best way to go.

My husband qualifies on his skills with me as his dependant but his aunty lives there too so could also get a family sponsered visa.

If a migration agent is the best option, who are the best to go through?

Or is it possible to do it on your own with realistic time scales.

Thanks everyone for any help you can give us

Samantha & Anthony

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi Samantha,

welcome to the forum.
using an agent depends on you. if you are nearing the age limit (u get points if under 30, as u grow old, ur points keep getting less). if your case is not a straight one. you have problem gathering documents. are lazy like me :p. on and forth.

if you want to do it on your own, trust me you can, but again it depends on individual circumstances. many here are doing it on their own and have got visas without much hassle.

Agent or no AGent, you have to read a lot, you have to gather your entire life in form of documents and submit it.

if the skill is on CSL, it would take 2-4 months for skill assessment and another 6-8 months for visa post applying. I would say, if you dont waste time, have all documents ready, apply for assessment today and as soon as u get ur positive assessment, apply for the visa, u will be in Australia one year from now provided ur skill is in CSL.

In the main australia forum page, there are sticky threads, i suggest going through them nicely, at ease. everything is in there. if you get stuck somewehre, either search the forum for it or give us a shout. trust me, 2-3 months on the forum and you would beat the knowledge of an agent :p (atleast that is how we all think :p)

wish you luck

cheers
anj

·
Registered
541 Posts
Doing yourself is the best option as you can save lot of money .
But if you are a busy person and no time to collect information yourself its better to have an Agent.

But selecting a Good agent is the most important thing.
Other wise suffering alot like me
I think there are lots in this forum to say about good agents in UK. Especially Dolly and Kaz
Regards
hari999999
..........................................................................................................................
TRA Positive September 2007
Applied Visa 175 April 2008 (Paper visa MODL, CSL ,)
Got CO and Medicals July 2009
MEDICALS and PCC finalized July 30th 2009
Job Verification November 10th 2009
175 VISA GRANDED 22nd December 2009

·
Registered
619 Posts
Doing yourself is the best option as you can save lot of money .
But if you are a busy person and no time to collect information yourself its better to have an Agent
Hi Sam,

Yes, doing it yourself can save you money, but having an agent can give you peace of mind. I used an agent, but still religiously researched the visa process and followed everything my agent was doing. I even had all documents prepared before he asked for them because I knew the process. Basically I used my agent as a proof reader. Well worth the money in my mind.

What field does your husband work in? My agent specializes in people in the IT field.

Regards,

Mat (a fellow South Yorkshireman, now living in US)

·
Registered
84 Posts
we used visa-go.com and have been very happy with them. It's amazing how many queries they have sorted out for us, they provided sample references for skills assessment and proof read everything.

we met the business owner at one of the emigration shows, I would really recommend going to one of those, it gives you an opportunity to meet several agents, compare their services and costs, there is also lots of other free information available

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
There's absolutely no reason why you can't do the whole process yourself (if you're application is straightforward).

Some people use an agent to help with the skills assessment part (as that can be the most difficult bit) and then do the main application themselves. As Mat said, it's really a peace of mind thing as well.

If you want to PM a member there are a few ways of doing it but the easiest way is to find one of their posts and left click on their username. You then get some options, one of those options is 'send a private message'. Easy peasy.....

Dolly

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi

Another person from south yorkshire, what does that say that we all want to leave ;)

My husband is a building surveryor. The agency we have had some contact with so far has said we'll get a 176 visa due to his aunt also living in perth where we are looking to go.

She has just got back to me though and told me 2 - 3 years for processing, does that sound right???

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hi

Another person from south yorkshire, what does that say that we all want to leave ;)

My husband is a building surveryor. The agency we have had some contact with so far has said we'll get a 176 visa due to his aunt also living in perth where we are looking to go.

She has just got back to me though and told me 2 - 3 years for processing, does that sound right???
SamandAntMurdoch.......

Hallo..Every thing about PM already given by dolly.

What your agent told is right. Building surveryor dont belong to CSL.
So it takes a time frame of 2 to 3 years.
But other speedy options are also avaliable if your aunty act as a sponsor or you go for a Employersponsor in Perth.
These options will take only some months instead of years
Thankyou

·
Registered
5 Posts
MatJones, sorry to bother you, would you be able to send me the contact details for your agent, I have been 8 years in IT and I am looking to move back to Perth, lived there during primary school for 3 1/2 years and I am badly missing it :(

·
Registered
619 Posts
MatJones, sorry to bother you, would you be able to send me the contact details for your agent, I have been 8 years in IT and I am looking to move back to Perth, lived there during primary school for 3 1/2 years and I am badly missing it :(
Hi Gavinc,

My agent was Peter Chiam at Ptlabs Consulting . He was invaluable during my ACS skills assessment, as well as my Visa application.

Mat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts