Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I really don't know exactly what comes after granting the visa, is it the permanent residency? or the visa is already including the PR if i did the initial entry?

What are the requirements for the Australian citizenship? And what is the best scenario for staying long as possible in Jordan because of my parents?

Keep in mind that i will do the initial entry on 1st of May for 1 month.

Regards,

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Steafo:

Your visa sticker is your grant of PR (if you applied for a PR visa 175/176, etc.). It is validated if you enter before the date listed on the visa sticker (yours is to enter before May 1).

You may immediately return to Jordan if it is not convenient for you to settle in AU and you have 5 years to re-enter as a PR. So for the scenario you describe enter AU before AU once, go through Customs/Immigration and get your AU Entry stamp, then you may return on the return flight or after a few days.

Citizenship:
All the details are at Australian Citizenship - Becoming an Australian Citizen

1. You need to apply for it after residing in AU for at least 4 yrs NET (so outside AU time does not count)
2. Pass a test
3. Attend a ceremony

Please note AU allows dual nationality however your current Citizenship country may not. So know the consequence of that before you apply for AU Citizenship.

If your current Citizenship country is Jordan then I believe they allow Dual Nationality.

Guys,

I really don't know exactly what comes after granting the visa, is it the permanent residency? or the visa is already including the PR if i did the initial entry?

What are the requirements for the Australian citizenship? And what is the best scenario for staying long as possible in Jordan because of my parents?

Keep in mind that i will do the initial entry on 1st of May for 1 month.

Regards,

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great Information!! Thank You!!

To understand better, i will demonstrate a difficult example (its just an example and not my real case).

Suggested Scenario:

1- Went to Sydney on 1st of May.
2- Came back to Jordan at end of May.
3- Stayed in Jordan for 5 years without visiting Australia.
4- Then every year after stayed in austrlaia 6 months in Australia and the other 6 months in Jordan.
5- Within 8 years i completed 4 years total in Australia.

Am i eligible to get the citizenship? Or did i violate the rules?

Thank You,

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
You run into trouble at this step:

From the Citizenship website:
* have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying, including one year as a permanent resident, and
* not have been absent from Australia for more than one year, including no more than 90 days in the year before applying.

You need to get a Resident Return Visa after the first 5 yrs to maintain your PR status if you leave AU for trips abroad.

There are two types:

3 month RRV - for those who stayed < 2 yrs in the last 5 yrs in AU
5 yr RRV - for those who stayed > 2 yrs in AU in the last 5 yrs in AU

Please Resident Return Visa at immi.gov.au for more info.

Your first PR visa is also your first 5 yr RRV :)

Great Information!! Thank You!!

To understand better, i will demonstrate a difficult example (its just an example and not my real case).

Suggested Scenario:

1- Went to Sydney on 1st of May.
2- Came back to Jordan at end of May.
4- Then every year after stayed in austrlaia 6 months in Australia and the other 6 months in Jordan.
5- Within 8 years i completed 4 years total in Australia.

Am i eligible to get the citizenship? Or did i violate the rules?

Thank You,

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi,

My apologies for barging in but the situation described by Steafo is a possible scenario we are also looking at. We already have our PR visa and going to Australia in March for 1 month. If I understand Amaslam correctly, I will have to live for 2 years in Australia in the next five years to be eligible for the 5 year RRV. Am I correct?

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi,

My apologies for barging in but the situation described by Steafo is a possible scenario we are also looking at. We already have our PR visa and going to Australia in March for 1 month. If I understand Amaslam correctly, I will have to live for 2 years in Australia in the next five years to be eligible for the 5 year RRV. Am I correct?

Thanks
My understanding is that you're almost correct:

If you have completed 2 years at the end of the 5 you have no problem - you can automatically get a RRV and come and go as you please.

If you have not completed 2 years residency when your 5 years expire then you can still stay in the country but if you leave you cannot re-enter.

So once your initial 5 year visa expires you would have to stay in Australia until you have completed your two years and can therefore get a RRV

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Just to clarify the last bit, the RRV allows you to maintain your PR status when you are outside of AU, so you can re-enter as a PR (RRV = Resident Return Visa).

If you are not eligible for a 5 yr RRV you are still eligible for a 3 month RRV if you've spent time in AU as a resident.

The most important thing is to always have a valid RRV before you leave AU for any trips.

The only other alternative is AU Citizenship (which is the route I went) and then you may come and go as you please from AU (no more visas as you are a Citizen).

My understanding is that you're almost correct:

If you have completed 2 years at the end of the 5 you have no problem - you can automatically get a RRV and come and go as you please.

If you have not completed 2 years residency when your 5 years expire then you can still stay in the country but if you leave you cannot re-enter.

So once your initial 5 year visa expires you would have to stay in Australia until you have completed your two years and can therefore get a RRV

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks a lot for the clarification. Our aim is eventually to get the citizenship. Now the main thing is to get to Australia to validate the PR...and organise interviews with some companies/recruitment agencies...but that's another story...Fingres crossed there :)

Cheers

·
Registered
315 Posts
steafo, take care of the rules of permanent residence else you run the risk of losing it. As mentioned above, spending five years out of AU is a definite "nono".

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know why i don't understand it!!! hehe

Okay, let me ask it in different way, what is the scenario that makes me stay in Jordan maximum time without loosing the chance of getting the citizenship?

Sorry,,,,,

·
Registered
84 Posts

Okay, let me ask it in different way, what is the scenario that makes me stay in Jordan maximum time without loosing the chance of getting the citizenship?

Sorry,,,,,
i think the answer is stay in Jordan 3 years then move to aus

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Steafo:

1. Enter AU once by May 1 to validate your Visa
2. Return to Jordan and live there for 3 yrs
3. Return to AU and stay for 2 yrs without leaving
4. Apply for and get a new 5 yr RRV ~May 2015
5. Visit Jordan (for upto 3 yrs)
6. Return to AU and stay 2 yrs without leaving
7. Apply for and get a new 5 yr RRV ~May 2020 (still allows you leave AU if you need to and maintain PR)
8. Apply for AU Citizenship
9. Stay in AU until AU Citizenship granted and you have AU Passport
10. No more visas, you can come and go for however long you want

Initial entry: by May 1 2010
Step 10: ~November 2020

Time in Jordan: 6 yrs
Time in AU: At least 4 yrs net
Number of RRVs after your PR: 2

Or Fastest:
1. Enter AU by May 1 to validate your Visa
2. Stay in AU for 4 yrs without leaving
3. Apply for AU Citizenship
4. Stay in AU until AU Citizenship is granted and you have AU Passport
5. No more visas, you can come and go for however long you want

Step 5: ~October 2014

Time in Jordan: 0
Number of RRVs after your PR: 0 (still on first PR and RRV granted already)

and here's what most people do:
1. Enter AU by May 1 to validate your Visa
2. Stay in AU 1 yr
3. Visit home country for 1 month
4. Return to AU, stay another yr
5. Visit home country for 1 month
6. Return to AU, stay another yr
7. Visit home country for 1 month
8. Return to AU, stay another yr + 3 months
9. You are now eligible to apply for AU Citizenship, apply for it
10. Stay in AU until AU Citizenship is granted and you have AU Passport (~6 months)
11. No more visas, you can come and go for however long you want

Step 11: ~February 2015

Time in Jordan: 3 months
Number of RRVs after your PR: 0 (still on first PR and RRV granted already)

You'll notice the common things:
1. Have a valid RRV at all times (5 yr RRV)
2. Stay in AU at least 2 yrs in any 5 yr period (this allows you to get the 5 yr RRV)
3. In the last year before Citizenship do not make a trip to Jordan (you need to be resident 12 of the last 24 months and not outside the country)
4. Stay in AU while you apply for Citizenship (at this time you would have fulfilled the 4 yrs net requirement)
5. Once Citizenship is granted you may leave AU at anytime or stay (your choice)

Please note if you are outside AU for greater than 12 months then you will need to get a new PCC (police clearance) done when you apply for AU Citizenship.

Sorry,,,,,

·
Registered
84 Posts
wow amaslam

you really know your stuff!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really appreciate the details amaslam its so clear now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just please check the last scenario which seems i will follow:

1. Enter AU by May 1 and live there for 2 years.
2. Return to Jordan and live for 3 years.
3. Apply and get a new 5 yr RRV ~May 2015
4. Visit AU and live there for 1 years.
5. Return to Jordan and stay 2yrs.
6. Return back to AU and stay for 1 year and apply for Citizenship
7. Stay in AU until AU Citizenship.

Thank you indeed!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Are you going to drop the OZ job after 2 years and then move back to Jordan to hunt another and do that for 3?

That plan is like for a whole bloody decade! :-D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In Jordan no problem, i can find a job within 5 minutes.

The whole story is for my parents, i cant just leave them like this. and its just a possible plan, i should understand all possibilities and then decide.

·
Registered
541 Posts
amaslam.......

What a wonderful effort from your part to explain this matter.
Nice and Intresting.
Thanks alot
Regards
hari999999
.......................................................................................................................
Applied Visa 175 April 2008 (Paper visa MODL, CSL ,)
Got CO and Medicals July 2009
MEDICALS and PCC finalized July 30th 2009
Job Verification November 10th 2009
175 VISA GRANDED 22nd December 2009

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
That one looks fine, just make sure you get your 5 yr RRVs before the previous one expires (even if it's one month earlier). Also you should check the rules for both Citizenship AND RRV every year to make sure the rules haven't changed (they certainly can in the future).

I really appreciate the details amaslam its so clear now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just please check the last scenario which seems i will follow:

1. Enter AU by May 1 and live there for 2 years.
2. Return to Jordan and live for 3 years.
3. Apply and get a new 5 yr RRV ~May 2015
4. Visit AU and live there for 1 years.
5. Return to Jordan and stay 2yrs.
6. Return back to AU and stay for 1 year and apply for Citizenship
7. Stay in AU until AU Citizenship.

Thank you indeed!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
THANK YOU ITS REALLY BENEFICENT!!

Another small question , do i have to apply for getting a PRC (Permanent residency card) / green card? Or there is nothing like this in Australia ? Or maybe the visa is everything?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
No, nothing like it. The sticker on your passport and the entry stamp for your first Entry are your proof. When you start applying for things in AU take the Passport and grant letter with you everywhere and a few photocopies as well. Comes in very handy.

Once you are settled in AU for a while please try to get a Drivers License, that serves as a proof for most things in AU, so you don't need to carry your passport all of the time.

THANK YOU ITS REALLY BENEFICENT!!

Another small question , do i have to apply for getting a PRC (Permanent residency card) / green card? Or there is nothing like this in Australia ? Or maybe the visa is everything?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts