Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new to the forum and I'd like to thank you all for any helpful info that will follow my posting.

I'm an American who would like to get married to my French Fiancee in France. I understand most of the requirements leading up to the marriage but are there any requirements post marriage? Do I need to stay in France for a certain amount of time after we are wed? I work in America and would like to get an idea of a timeline so I can know when I would be able to travel back to the states to get some more work done.

Thanks in advance!

David

·
Administrator
53,151 Posts
It rather depends on your long-term plans. If you are planning on settling in France, you'll have to return to the US to apply for a spouse visa (unless you're already in France on a long-stay visa) if you will be living in France. In that case, you'd only really need to stay in France long enough to get your livret de famille (which you'll need for the spouse visa).

If you're planning on settling with your new spouse in the US, then no real problem. You can return to the US and file the petition necessary to sponsor your French spouse to join you in the US. (There is no consular filing from Paris anyhow.) In that case, though, your new spouse may have a wait of 6 to 12 months before the visa will come through.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
AFTER marriage!.....good question but I think it's limited to that "love, honour and obey" business !!!!

The Mairie will give some papers......just make sure. the livre de famille is there, or at least the promise to produce one.

I'm sure all the posters wish you well on the day and a happy married life.

DejW

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bev and DejW!

Two things you should know:

1. We have been working on getting my Fiancee into America on the K1 Fiancee visa but have run into issues due to her being caught working on a non working visa. Her file has been flagged for fraud and she was given a waiver (i-601) which costs $930 to fill out and will take "a few months" to be reviewed. We have already been dealing with this visa for over a year and are getting frustrated being apart for such long periods of time (usually 4-6 months between me visiting her in France). Does anybody know anything about this waiver and how likely it is that it would even help? Also, would we have a better chance getting her in on a spouse visa rather than the K1 fiancee visa with the Fraud issue?

2. I do not particularly want to move to France (not saying that I wouldn't want to in the future) as I have very good work in the US. I can, however, work anywhere in the world as an offline affiliate marketer but it would make more sense to work in an english speaking country. Also, my french is very poor since I don't have anyone to practice with while I'm back in the US.

Question: I know that I had to provide sufficient income to sponsor her when we were trying to bring her to the US. Will she have to do the same for me (does she have to sponsor and prove that she makes enough money to support me)?

·
Administrator
53,151 Posts
As far as the waiver is concerned, you may have to ask that over in the US forum. I suspect strongly that she'll still have to apply for that waiver, even if she is going the spouse route. (The US has one of the more "difficult" immigration systems in that sense.)

As far as getting a spouse visa for France - it's very nearly an "automatic" visa, once you have the infamous "livret de famille." The French spouse doesn't have to prove any sort of financial standing or anything - basically just that she is French and that you are really married and have your livret de famille.

The one "inconvenience" is that once you arrive in France on a spouse visa, you're subject to the OFII processing, which includes an assessment of your French language skills (though they do provide mandatory classes if you really have no French at all) and various meetings and such. As an independent worker, you'd have to set up some sort of business entity to keep up your business online, but that may start to get a bit simpler as they make changes here to the labor code.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as getting a spouse visa for France - it's very nearly an "automatic" visa, once you have the infamous "livret de famille." The French spouse doesn't have to prove any sort of financial standing or anything - basically just that she is French and that you are really married and have your livret de famille.

The one "inconvenience" is that once you arrive in France on a spouse visa, you're subject to the OFII processing, which includes an assessment of your French language skills (though they do provide mandatory classes if you really have no French at all) and various meetings and such. As an independent worker, you'd have to set up some sort of business entity to keep up your business online, but that may start to get a bit simpler as they make changes here to the labor code.
Cheers,
Bev
So does my fiancee have to apply for a livret de famille or does she use the one her family already has?

My french is very poor so are you saying that the state provides free language classes that I must take before or after we are married?

As for my business I work offline so my business involves me meeting and talking to people. so I don't know how well that will work in France which is why I had the question about how long after being married I must stay in France. Is there a mandatory minimum amount of time I must live there after we are wed?

thanks for all the great info so far!

·
Administrator
53,151 Posts
So does my fiancee have to apply for a livret de famille or does she use the one her family already has?
No, no, no. If you get married in France you will get a livret de famille shortly after you get married - from the mairie where the marriage took place. Each marriage merits its own livret de famille.

My french is very poor so are you saying that the state provides free language classes that I must take before or after we are married?
Again, no. If and when you come to France to settle (i.e. on a spouse visa), you are supposed to work on your French so that you can attain an A1 level (which is pretty basic) by the time you go to renew your titre de séjour (i.e. your residence permit) after your first year in France. If, at your OFII visit, they determine that you don't have an A1 level, they will assign you to mandatory (and free) French classes and by the end of the year you are supposed to have passed the A1 level test.
Is there a mandatory minimum amount of time I must live there after we are wed?
No. If you're in France on a tourist visa to get married, you'll have to leave before your 90 days is up. If you're on a long-stay visa, returning to the US will just cancel out the visa and when/if you want to return to France to live, you start the process all over again.

But do ask about the waiver process over on the US section of the forum. Heck, the first lady of the US was working illegally in the US for a while and they appear to have pardoned her. It can't be that hard.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.