Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Joppa
Can you help me please?
My partner arrived to UK with 6 months visitor visa. We are married now and we hold UK marriage certificate. Can you please advice what's the best and quick way to get ILR for for my wife ( I am a UK citizen). If she is a visitor here , can we still apply from here for FLR(M) or SET(M) now or will she need to leave the UK and apply from abroad ????
Also if we can apply for ILR now, does she need to pass English exam or will she need this only to apply to UK citizenship.
Could you advice us whether we need FLR(M) or SET(M)?
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
There is no route to stay permanently from a visitor visa. She will have to return to her country and make an application for a spousal visa from her home.

She will be on the 5 year settlement plan, ie. she will have to apply for a 2.5 year spouse visa, renew it again for another 2.5 years (FLR(M)) and then apply for IRL in 5 years time. Yes she will have to pass English requirement.

Edit: I should add there is a financial requirement for you to sponsor her. You need to be earning at least £18,600 a year to bring her over to the UK in a permanent fashion. There are savings options if you don't earn that amount.

G

·
Hello Joppa
Can you help me please?
My partner arrived to UK with 6 months visitor visa. We are married now and we hold UK marriage certificate. Can you please advice what's the best and quick way to get ILR for for my wife ( I am a UK citizen). If she is a visitor here , can we still apply from here for FLR(M) or SET(M) now or will she need to leave the UK and apply from abroad ????
Also if we can apply for ILR now, does she need to pass English exam or will she need this only to apply to UK citizenship.
Could you advice us whether we need FLR(M) or SET(M)?
Thank you.
You married in the UK whilst they were on a tourist visa?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. On home office website i see 2 options, apply from abroad and from uk. Can we apply from here? If not , can she apply from abroad and back to Uk. Or she must waiting for results abroad?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
No, she must apply from abroad and wait there until she gets her visa. This process may take 2-3 months depending from what country she applies from.

Do you meet the financial requirements?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes i am working , just want to do this without to go back and long time waiting, we have kids and they in school and wife also want start work. thanks

G

·
You can not apply from in the UK unless you are already on a visa that allows you to, that does not include a tourist visa. She needs to go home and apply from there.

Are your kids British?

You also did not answer my question. Did she marry you whilst on the tourist visa?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
yes i am working , just want to do this without to go back and long time waiting, we have kids and they in school and wife also want start work. thanks
If there is priority service available from her country, you can pay the extra fee and that will hopefully reduce the amount of time spent apart.

However, there is NO other way than for her to return home and apply from there. She cannot apply while in the UK or overstay her tourist visa.

Working and meeting the financial requirement are two different things. You need to supply her with the appropriate documentation to prove that your earn at least £18,600.

Start with the application form and supporting documents guidelines, and ensure you send off a solid application. This will reduce the chances of being refused for missing documents and delaying her return to the UK.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for your help. you just confirm all what i have from the home office website. My wife need also pass eng exam, can she do this in UK and then back to country and apply for visa? or she can apply for visa and then in UK pass this exam?

·
Registered
406 Posts
elly71, it is important that you answer the question that was asked, regarding your marriage in the UK, and if when you two married here, your wife was, or was not, on a visitor visa.

When you married in the UK, was your wife in the UK on a tourist visa, or not?

The answer is important for the rest of the process.

G

·
You know you should not marry on a visit visa? UK Border Agency | Can you come to the UK as a general visitor? its not a good start to your life together and applying for a spouse visa to admit you have already broken the terms of a visa.

You say your children are in school, does that mean they normally live in the UK? Are they British, again important because it dictates if they need visas and how much you need to earn to sponsor them if you need to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.