Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the eligibility of an american married to a french national to doing any formations through the AFPA? Thank you as always for any insight and help.

·
Administrator
50,023 Posts
Doing as in teaching, or doing as in taking the classes.

In any event, based on a quick scan of their website, they aren't a government association, so there should be no restrictions on your taking any of their training programs. As long as you're legally in France with the right to work, you could even teach if they want to hire you.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Bev, hope so! as in taking classes, i just wondered because i thought it said something on there about registering with POLE, which i am not too familiar with, and since i thought it had something to do with unemployment. and, since i am always wary of something that seems all too cut and dry!
Doing as in teaching, or doing as in taking the classes.

In any event, based on a quick scan of their website, they aren't a government association, so there should be no restrictions on your taking any of their training programs. As long as you're legally in France with the right to work, you could even teach if they want to hire you.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Administrator
50,023 Posts
thanks Bev, hope so! as in taking classes, i just wondered because i thought it said something on there about registering with POLE, which i am not too familiar with, and since i thought it had something to do with unemployment. and, since i am always wary of something that seems all too cut and dry!
If they require that you be registered with Pole d'emploi, then perhaps they are one of these affiliated agencies that offers classes for unemployed people. Best you can do is try and register and see what they say.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, sorry perhaps I should have clarified but I was hoping someone out here on the forum was already familiar with this association. It is indeed for people unemployed and looking to change their career path, and it is often free for those people. So that is why I wondered as to my eligibility in taking classes or doing a formation for free. I am sure I can pay for the classes no problem, but just thought I would ask out here before I inquire directly.

If they require that you be registered with Pole d'emploi, then perhaps they are one of these affiliated agencies that offers classes for unemployed people. Best you can do is try and register and see what they say.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
594 Posts
be convincing

AFPA, is open to all residents, whether Citizen or not, but eligibility criteria are rather unspoken.
- the first eligibility criteria is being under the age of 26, with little of no qualifications (this is why they are asking you to register at Employement services ; Pole Emploi, where your qualifications will be assessed)
- AFPA is meant for the acquisition and certification of first level technical skills, some can be pretty complicated 'though

This said, they are tricky issues
- if you are over qualified, you will most likely not be able to qualify for registration
- if you have a non-conforming racial profile (France is extremely discriminatory), you might be either driven towards exhausting works : carpentry, civil engineering, ... or refused the class you prefer
- if your language skills are poor (who are they after all to be able to assess that, some AFPA staff can be rude to French language), same as above applies, and they might not consider you for the Accounting Assistant training for instance.

Now the good
- there is always space for convincing applicants, and you will be able to secure an appointment with you local AFPA director in no time. You must show BIG interest in the trade: jewelry making, hairdressing, or confectionery, and know what it is all about . It is surprising how many would like to learn cooking or baking, but do not imagine that working in a restaurant or a bakery entails long exhausting working hours. Please just figure out that as part of the training in cooking you will have to work in a restaurant (even if you wish to acquire skills an certification to mange your home made marmalade business).
- prepare your profile to match the job you seek and the education you need: if you are over-experienced with an MBA and you wish to learn Wine Technical certification, please adapt your profile, in explaining why Wine production certification becomes so needed. In the contrary, if you were a small entrepreneur and you wish to be certified in accounting or IT, you might have to stress on your accounting and IT skills in your profile and be able to demonstrate your experience with (sometime) tangible evidence. This makes good sense, but you would again be surprised how many applicant come with a mechanic profile and would like to do web design, and are barely able to explain why.
- age issue, gender issue, always a problem in France. Men do mechanics and women Cosmetics. Old chaps like me have no chance to become a Cosmetic Therapist at AFPA. Age issue can be overcome if you have convincing skills and the course you want to attend is not overcrowded.

Finally, I have met ex-electricians that have become fashion designers or even, medical doctor. Yes, you can. And I have also met an ex MBA-finance guy, who has successfully registered in Wine Agriculture and Production AFPA 2 year training at the age of 45.

Does this help?

-

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you!

that is so helpful! you obviously have the knowledge I was looking for, and/or are familiar with AFPA. I am 29 so I don't know if that means I have to make a convincing request for the cooking formation through AFPA, or I am just not going to be able to do it. But 26yrs old seems kind of young.

either way and again, merci beaucoup mille fois et encore :)
AFPA, is open to all residents, whether Citizen or not, but eligibility criteria are rather unspoken.
- the first eligibility criteria is being under the age of 26, with little of no qualifications (this is why they are asking you to register at Employement services ; Pole Emploi, where your qualifications will be assessed)
- AFPA is meant for the acquisition and certification of first level technical skills, some can be pretty complicated 'though

This said, they are tricky issues
- if you are over qualified, you will most likely not be able to qualify for registration
- if you have a non-conforming racial profile (France is extremely discriminatory), you might be either driven towards exhausting works : carpentry, civil engineering, ... or refused the class you prefer
- if your language skills are poor (who are they after all to be able to assess that, some AFPA staff can be rude to French language), same as above applies, and they might not consider you for the Accounting Assistant training for instance.

Now the good
- there is always space for convincing applicants, and you will be able to secure an appointment with you local AFPA director in no time. You must show BIG interest in the trade: jewelry making, hairdressing, or confectionery, and know what it is all about . It is surprising how many would like to learn cooking or baking, but do not imagine that working in a restaurant or a bakery entails long exhausting working hours. Please just figure out that as part of the training in cooking you will have to work in a restaurant (even if you wish to acquire skills an certification to mange your home made marmalade business).
- prepare your profile to match the job you seek and the education you need: if you are over-experienced with an MBA and you wish to learn Wine Technical certification, please adapt your profile, in explaining why Wine production certification becomes so needed. In the contrary, if you were a small entrepreneur and you wish to be certified in accounting or IT, you might have to stress on your accounting and IT skills in your profile and be able to demonstrate your experience with (sometime) tangible evidence. This makes good sense, but you would again be surprised how many applicant come with a mechanic profile and would like to do web design, and are barely able to explain why.
- age issue, gender issue, always a problem in France. Men do mechanics and women Cosmetics. Old chaps like me have no chance to become a Cosmetic Therapist at AFPA. Age issue can be overcome if you have convincing skills and the course you want to attend is not overcrowded.

Finally, I have met ex-electricians that have become fashion designers or even, medical doctor. Yes, you can. And I have also met an ex MBA-finance guy, who has successfully registered in Wine Agriculture and Production AFPA 2 year training at the age of 45.

Does this help?

-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.