Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently filed my adjustment of status with my affidavit of support with my wife sponsoring me. She has 3 children and has a part time job which most certainly means I will need a joint sponsor.
Her brother has opted to help us and has no dependants and is not married. But lives with his dad who is retired. He earns around $40k or a bit more, will his wages and my wife's low wage be enough to be more than the 125% poverty guidelines?
I have a house in the uk, can I use this as an asset?? If so how can we?
What do I need to do to get past this stumbling block?

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
Your brother in law alone has an adequate income to qualify as a financial sponsor.

Or, if your wife is trying to qualify as the financial sponsor on her own on the basis of adequate wealth, yes, your assets can be counted (along with hers) toward that alternative method of qualification.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the minimum he could earn to be able to sponsor us? There would be 5 in my household with my wife and 3kids plus him and father too??

How would I prove and show my house as an asset? Would I need paperwork from the uk?

·
Registered
7,585 Posts
From your post I would deem that your brother in law is not sponsoring you, your wife and her children, he is sponsoring only you.

Presumably your wife supports herself and her three children.

So, presuming your brother in law is single and has no other dependents (you do not say that his father is dependent on him) when your brother in law completes form I-864 as the joint sponsor he will declare that he is sponsoring one immigrant (you) and that his household consists of himself and you. i.e two people.

If on the other hand your brother in law classifies your wife and her three children and father as dependents that is a whole other story and would have to be earning a fortune to support them all and you.

Look at the I-864 form here

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864.pdf

and the poverty levels for number of households here:

2015 Poverty Guidelines

Whatever number of people in household you come to, BIL needs to be earning 125% of that poverty level to qualify. Assets can be used to make up shortfall

Here is general info on how to sponsor an immigrant:

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/F3en.pdf

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He doesn't need to sponsor all of us but they ask for all of the people in the household and add them up and the guideline needs to show they earn 125% of everyone in the household.

Do I send the 3 most recent tax returns form off to the uscis or only this years?
I'm working at the moment too can I put down what I'm earning even if it is cash in hand??

·
Registered
7,585 Posts
He doesn't need to sponsor all of us but they ask for all of the people in the household and add them up and the guideline needs to show they earn 125% of everyone in the household.

Do I send the 3 most recent tax returns form off to the uscis or only this years?
I'm working at the moment too can I put down what I'm earning even if it is cash in hand??
Does your wife and her children live in the same household as your brother in law and are they his dependents?

Read the following guidance notes under "Who may be considered a household member"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts