Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Expats!

As a chronic asthmatic I need to ask if its possible to buy Salbutamol inhalators over the counter in Spain with out a prescription, or if I should just bring with me the right amount needed for the time we'll be in Spain.

Also if you can buy them over the counter how much are they?
Cheers in advanced.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Hi Expats!

As a chronic asthmatic I need to ask if its possible to buy Salbutamol inhalators over the counter in Spain with out a prescription, or if I should just bring with me the right amount needed for the time we'll be in Spain.

Cheers in advanced.
Hi Ronny. The rules of prescriptions change according to the area you live in. Do you know where you're going to live? If you want to be on the safe side, the best is to bring your own. When I moved here, I brought many repeats of all my Canadian meds, and slowly substituted as I ran out.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Hi Expats!

Cheers in advanced.
Relatives who have visited us here who use inhalers for asthma have bought two or three at a time to take home as they are available to buy over the counter, quite a bit cheaper than paying the UK prescription charge. It is a while since anyone last bought one but as best I remember they were around €7-8.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi ronny333,

Yes, you can definitely buy Ventolin/Salbutamol over the counter in Spanish pharmacies.

Where I live, in Málaga, they cost 29 cents with a prescription and €2.93 if you pay full price. I don't know if the price varies across the country, but that's how much they cost here at the moment.

I say at the moment, because prices of meds tend to fluctuate throughout the year. For example, my Seretide inhaler (which used to cost €96 euros - no, that's not a typing error!), now only costs a little over €61 euros. However, because I get it on prescription, it only costs €4.24, whereas it used to cost a little over a euro.

I can't remember how much my other inhalers (Becotide and Atrovent) cost, but they're both less than €5 if you buy them over the counter without a prescription.

Hope that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts