Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a thought. OH is talking about starting a small service operation similar to that the had a few years ago in the UK. It seemed like a good idea as it could provide additional income but raised a few questions.

Firstly, if OH does this would I also have access to the health system. Also where we we stand regarding our other income, which mostly comes in my name - would this all be added together for tax and other, eg social charges, under the AE regime. Finally, if the AE entity didn't make much money could this stop access to the health system?

·
Administrator
50,470 Posts
There are changes coming to the AE system, but these seem to be mostly related to the various "caps" on income (i.e. at what point you have to graduate to another form of business entity).

OK, the AE registration does include registration in the French sécu (i.e. health system) which covers the AE registrant and any dependents. Mutuelle coverage would have to be obtained separately and is paid for on a per person basis rather than as a percentage of turnover.

As I understand it, you have to have a certain level of contribution for a couple or three months before the health coverage becomes valid (the idea is that those going AE usually have some coverage from a prior employment or unemployment going in). Check the AE portal for information on that angle: Portail officiel des auto-entrepreneurs

As far as income taxes go, you must declare your worldwide income as a household if you are married (or PACS'd) - and each source of income is then evaluated according to the tax rules that are applicable.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you that was helpful. I have looked on the website and can find plenty on the limits but it's harder to find the details on the minimum contributions you have to make. I understand that if you don't make any contributions for two years you lose the AE status.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
At the moment there is no minimum cotisation level for AE but who knows what will happen in the future, as Bev says the scheme is in the melting pot at the moment. Ideas that have been talked about to date include making a distinction between AEs that are a person's/household's main source of income, where they may well have a minimum cotisation imposed to bring it more into line with other entreprise individuelle regimes, and AEs that are run as an extra to another form of employment or a pension, where the person already has healthcare from another source, which presumably would have no minimum cotisation. The proposal was that people would have to state, when they apply to set up an AE, the source of their income and their healthcare at the moment. But there have been so many different suggestions tossed around that who knows what they will do in the end.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.