Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a single woman, 55 years from England. Living in Thailand for 14 years.
Before i decided to settle down in Thailand and do real estate, i back packed/bummed around Malaysia/Thailand/Lao for 3 years. I now want to go on the move again with limited cash.
I have plans on how to make money along the way as i am ok on the computer for marketing.
My plan is to travel a number of locations on my way to Cairnes, where i will probably just bum about again.
Basically, it will be my first trip to Aussie land and i have not got a clue.
Can you advise he following if you have time?
Visa? Price?
Best price i can get on a cheap but clean private room? Maybe monthly rate?
Who to bum around with?
What to do that is lazy but fun?
How i get around?
Where to stay?
If i suddenly get a burst of energy to make extra money, my age, what could i do?
How much money i need per month to get by but not living like a tramp?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Your best bet is a visitor visa because at the age of 55, that's probably the only option you have. It does not allow you to work at all, so you need to make sure you have sufficient funds to pay your way. If you're from the UK you can apply for an ETA which (I think) costs about $10.

Can't help with your other questions.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
I am a single woman, 55 years from England. Living in Thailand for 14 years. Before i decided to settle down in Thailand and do real estate, i back packed/bummed around Malaysia/Thailand/Lao for 3 years. I now want to go on the move again with limited cash. I have plans on how to make money along the way as i am ok on the computer for marketing. My plan is to travel a number of locations on my way to Cairnes, where i will probably just bum about again. Basically, it will be my first trip to Aussie land and i have not got a clue. Can you advise he following if you have time? Visa? Price? Best price i can get on a cheap but clean private room? Maybe monthly rate? Who to bum around with? What to do that is lazy but fun? How i get around? Where to stay? If i suddenly get a burst of energy to make extra money, my age, what could i do? How much money i need per month to get by but not living like a tramp?
You cannot as a foreigner simply rock up to Australia and live/work there. UK citizens are considered to be foreigners. A tourist visa will only allow you to stay for a short time and you cannot work. You need to bring sufficient funds to be able to support yourself for the duration of your stay as a visitor.

If you attempt to enter Australia on a tourist/eVisitor visa with limited funds and no way of supporting yourself, you will be deported to your home country.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would prefer mam, you consult a MARA agent. There are so many ways that you could enter Australia and I hope my comments without experience(on how seniors should enter Aus for working ) should not kill your dream.

All the best!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i have money. I have enough to last a while.
How long can you get the visa for and can you extend it in any way, maybe by leaving for the cook islands etc and coming back. How long do you have to leave before you can come back etc?

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Well i have money. I have enough to last a while. How long can you get the visa for and can you extend it in any way, maybe by leaving for the cook islands etc and coming back. How long do you have to leave before you can come back etc?
As a UK citizen you can get an eVisitor visa which allows you to stay for 3 months maximum per 12 month period. It cannot be extended. You can also apply for a 600 tourist visa valid for 3, 6 or 12 months, which costs up to $335. More info on the DIBP website. http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/pages/600.aspx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts