Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all Dubaiexpats,

Seeking some advise for a dubai newbie from all the old hands on here.

We are looking to move to Dubai ealry 2010, contract for the new job is pretty much agreed so just looking for advice on the location of housing (Villa) in relation to schools following the UK curriculum. We shall be coming over in a few weeks for a look see and to meet the team in my new employer, and as part of this visit we will fit a look see for a few days at schools and housing. I shall be working around Dubai health care city so we are interested in compounds, housing and schools around this area or with a commute for myself of upto 45 mins

We recently spent 4 years in Shanghai so as a learning point from there we would aim to find someone that has a lot of ameneties (restaurants, shops, public transport etc) in close proximity, as in China we lived in an area which didnt have the social infrastructer close, which meant driving everywhere for at least 30 mins. For schooling we are looking at secondary schooling as my children are 12 and 14 years ( schooling should be upto 50K each) and for housing 3 to 4 bedrooms around less than 180K per year.

Finally i have a car allowance so if anyone has recommendation for car leasing companies that would also be welcome.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Laowei.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Traffic has died down a lot so you can get to Healthcare City from most parts of the city within 45 minutes.

Don't know too much about british curriculum schools but good neighborhoods near your work would be Jumeirah 1 or Mirdif. Both easily within 45 minutes.

Regarding leasing a car, the cheapest rates we found when we got here was with Thrifty or Gargash, but these rates change all the time and so it's worth shopping around.

Are you Chinese in ethnicity? If so, there are some good Chinese restaurants near your work and next to Lamcy Plaza.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Traffic has died down a lot so you can get to Healthcare City from most parts of the city within 45 minutes.

Don't know too much about british curriculum schools but good neighborhoods near your work would be Jumeirah 1 or Mirdif. Both easily within 45 minutes.

Regarding leasing a car, the cheapest rates we found when we got here was with Thrifty or Gargash, but these rates change all the time and so it's worth shopping around.

Are you Chinese in ethnicity? If so, there are some good Chinese restaurants near your work and next to Lamcy Plaza.
Hi Vince, thanks for the info and its a start. We are coming over on the 12th to start the searching process and will atke your advice on board as a starting point.

no, i am not ethnically Chinese, actually a Brit, however spent the last 4 years there so have picked up some of the bad habits. Smoking and eating at the same time is actually a quicker way to enjoy a meal! Happy there are some decent Chinese retaurants as the slop served in the UK doesnt measure up to the geniune stuff.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That is an interesting habit indeed.

Also, my wife, who explored several schools for teaching positions, was saying that Raffles in Umm Suqueim received very high marks for the quality of their education. Not sure what age your children are or if Raffles would be a good fit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.