Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My name is Thomas and thanks a lot for taking some time to read this.

This is unfortunately a bit general but any help would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to move over to Spain by next April time, I am a single guy of 33. Over the last year it has became possible to head over as I don't have other commitments that I once had.

I will be ideally looking for an area with a bit of life to it but also not a a massive city, also wouldn't mind a more chilled "year round" holiday resort or surrounding area. I have a background in hospitality and bar work especially is something I love doing and would ideally like to do this over in Spain. I know you must hear that a lot but this is what I chose as to do for a good part of my career here and would like to continue it as I really enjoy it. I want this to be a new life and am not looking for a "Summer job". I done the summer season party life in Spain about 10 years ago and pretty much know I would like the opposite of that now! Haha!

I was just looking to get some information from people on the ground whether this is a viable option in Spain anymore? I am determined to give it a go. I am aware of the problems facing people in Spain at the moment in terms of unemployment etc and am sympathetic to that but I just want to try it out and make a new life. Also if anyone could suggest any areas that could suit my my needs? I have been taking Spanish lessons for the last while, but when I first move over I would like to be somewhere at least with a strong ex pat community with plenty of options for hospitality work and open all year round.

Again, thanks a lot for reading this and hopefully talk to you soon.

Thomas

Registered
There are a lot of unemployed "bar persons" here in Spain who, if they are lucky enough to have an opportunity, are expected to work very long hours for little reward. They are often made redundant after the high season.

Your best bet would be to come over on a fact finding mission to get the feel of the employment market.

Best of luck

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Yeah any research or feedback I have is saying the same, my plan is to head over for 2 or 3 months with enough cash and hopefully see what happens. Most hospitality work is long hours and not a lot of pay so I'm used to that, but I enjoyed it so that doesn't put me off.

Just have to try and decide on an area/place to base myself and head out for a fact finding visit as you saying. Just don't know where is best though...

Thanks again.

Registered
I can't give you much advice on many area's other than Benidorm (where I live) maybe Albir, Altea, Javier and similar places. All coastal towns along this coast are buzzing just now and you may be lucky enough to get a bar job but as I said you may be made redundant after the high season.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts