Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it might sound odd. My country has so many problems right now... We had problems in the past and later we were fine but that's not the main reason why I wanna leave.
The Main reason is that I'm homosexual in an homophobic country. It's not that gays are killed here but I can't marry, Not everyone knows about it, I feel that If I say it at work I'll be fired. So, I am really thinking about leaving.

Australia is a Perfect country: Good economy, security... However, I am a really bit scared to suffer from discrimination maybe not because of my sexuality but because I'm Dark Skinned. Not black, not white but dark skinned.

I speak English, Spanish and Italian. I am gonna study my MBA at Florida International University. I'm Economist and my speciality is Financial Risk and Financial products. I think I might have the qualifications but I'm seeking for advice.
thanks

·
Registered
619 Posts
I know it might sound odd. My country has so many problems right now... We had problems in the past and later we were fine but that's not the main reason why I wanna leave.
The Main reason is that I'm homosexual in an homophobic country. It's not that gays are killed here but I can't marry, Not everyone knows about it, I feel that If I say it at work I'll be fired. So, I am really thinking about leaving.
Well, you won't be able to marry in Australia just yet either, but people are fighting for that right too, just like in USA.
Where are you living now?

Australian Marriage Equality

Australia is a Perfect country: Good economy, security... However, I am a really bit scared to suffer from discrimination maybe not because of my sexuality but because I'm Dark Skinned. Not black, not white but dark skinned.
Unfortunately, racism & homophobia still exist in a lot of countries, and you will run into places in Australia where people will discriminate. If comparing the US and AU, then i would say they are pretty equal in terms of this.

I speak English, Spanish and Italian. I am gonna study my MBA at Florida International University. I'm Economist and my speciality is Financial Risk and Financial products. I think I might have the qualifications but I'm seeking for advice.
thanks
Well, remember once you get your qualification you will need at least 12 months work experience, if you wish to apply for the 175 permanent residency visa. Your other option would be to go for Employer Sponsorship (457).

Good Luck!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Since you're studying anyway why not do it Down Under? MBA generally is two years full-time hence that two years will be sufficient to apply for an onshore GSM - which is faster too, I think.

Don't take my word for it. Check out DIAC's website.
Good luck! We are all escapees, it seems...

·
Registered
619 Posts
Since you're studying anyway why not do it Down Under? MBA generally is two years full-time hence that two years will be sufficient to apply for an onshore GSM - which is faster too, I think.

Don't take my word for it. Check out DIAC's website.
Good luck! We are all escapees, it seems...
Only drawback is that you would have to pay international student fees.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Same-sex legislation is being introduced and is in effect in some states. Not the same thing as marriage but still on the agenda I think.

Here is the current status:
Recognition of same-sex unions in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Agree with the posts from Matjones. Also practically you will need work experience to get a skilled PR visa for AU. The graduate visa option is also viable if the fees would be the same between the US and Australia. In that case as your end goal is Australia you will have more visa options if you get a graduate degree in AU.

thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts