Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was hoping someone could give me some advice. My wife’s spouse visa application was refused last week on the following grounds (I am the sponsor):
—————————————————————
In order to meet the financial requirements of the Rules your sponsor needs a gross income of at least £18,600 per annum. You have stated that your sponsor is employed as a ************* earning £**,*** per annum. However, you have failed to provide the specified documents of your sponsor’s employment. You have declared your sponsor is in salaried employment and therefore needs to provide the following:

(a) Payslips covering:

(i) a period of 6 months prior to the date of application if the person has been employed by their current employer for at least 6 months (and where paragraph 13(b) of the Appendix does not apply); - Not provided

(b) A letter from the employer(s) who issued the payslips at paragraph 2(a) confirming: - Submitted

(c) Personal bank statements corresponding to the same period as the payslips at paragraph 2(a), showing that the salary has been paid into an account in the name of the person or in the name of the person and their partner jointly: - Bank statements not submitted for the required six months.

These documents are specified in Immigration Rules in Appendix FM-SE and must be provided. I therefore refuse your application under paragraph EC-P.1.1(d) of Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules. (E-ECP.3.1)
—————————————————————
Regarding my salary it is comfortably above the minimum requirement so is not the issue but obviously some of the evidence I provided clearly was.

In the relation to the payslips I provided 6 months and therefore do not understand the wording “Not provided”. I am only given e payslips from my employer but these are still in the form of formal payslips containing all the information required for a formal payslip. In my letter from my employer letter, which they acknowledge was submitted, it also stated that these payslips were authentic. As I am becoming aware of now the issue with e payslips seems somewhat contentious as some people have had these accepted and others not.

In regards to the bank statements these were also provided and from their wording on the refusal letter I can only think they did no accept my last one. This was printed out at my local bank branch and contained all the info required (such as my name etc.) and were stamped by the bank. I thought this was acceptable but maybe in hindsight I should of waited for my next statement to be posted to me when it was ready.

I also submitted a P60 as additional proof of my earnings along with employment contract and employer letter confirming the length of my employment and salary etc.

Maybe it is just wishful thinking but I believe the decision maker could have contacted us to resolve any issue they had. Is it worth appealing and hoping when they review the case that they see they could have issued a visa if they had asked for more information. Or is it better to just take it on the chin, reapply and make sure I get the financial evidence perfect next time.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Sorry to hear about the rejection.

You didn't submit the required documents, so they refused it, which they are within their rights to do, it's tough but that's how it is.

No point appealing, you'd rather re-submit the application/documentation again from scratch ensuring you have EVERYTHING included. Don't leave anything to chance.

I'm sure once you are ready to submit again, you can post on here what you have and more than one person will be able to take a look and advise you further.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear about the rejection.

You didn't submit the required documents, so they refused it, which they are within their rights to do, it's tough but that's how it is.

No point appealing, you'd rather re-submit the application/documentation again from scratch ensuring you have EVERYTHING included. Don't leave anything to chance.

I'm sure once you are ready to submit again, you can post on here what you have and more than one person will be able to take a look and advise you further.
Thanks for your reply but what kind of payslip are they expecting? How do they even know if it is a genuine payslip? It is perfectly valid to give employees an electronic payslip instead of a printed one and this is by the governments own payroll guidelines. How can they even tell if it was you or the company that printed the payslip, they would still look exactly the same? Are they still expecting people to receive dot matrix printed payslips or ones where you rip the ends off to open it? I mean its not like these aren't easily forged as well.

Sorry for the rant and I know you may not know the answers but I'm just trying to understand what they think is an original formal payslip since they do not give an example to help people.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Thanks for your reply but what kind of payslip are they expecting? How do they even know if it is a genuine payslip? It is perfectly valid to give employees an electronic payslip instead of a printed one and this is by the governments own payroll guidelines. How can they even tell if it was you or the company that printed the payslip, they would still look exactly the same? Are they still expecting people to receive dot matrix printed payslips or ones where you rip the ends off to open it? I mean its not like these aren't easily forged as well.

Sorry for the rant and I know you may not know the answers but I'm just trying to understand what they think is an original formal payslip since they do not give an example to help people.
Surely the employer must have a pay roll system that generates wage slips and emails them out to you or a login where you can login and print them out?

My pay slips had the company header on it, with all the relevant information on. They were official, but printed. Submitting 6 months of pay slips is enough. If they have any concerns regarding the employment they will ring the work place and make their enquiries. Submitting pay slips is better than not submitting them, it is a requirement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Surely the employer must have a pay roll system that generates wage slips and emails them out to you or a login where you can login and print them out?

My pay slips had the company header on it, with all the relevant information on. They were official, but printed. Submitting 6 months of pay slips is enough. If they have any concerns regarding the employment they will ring the work place and make their enquiries. Submitting pay slips is better than not submitting them, it is a requirement.
My payslips are emailed to me each month as password protected pdf documents. I can download these and then print them out, which is what I did and these were submitted. They are generated by our payroll software (PaySuite) and contain the company name and the required information.

They made no contact with my employer during the entire process.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had my (self printed) payslips stamped by my employer. The person writing the employment letter also signed each of them. I think it is similar to bank statements - if you can't provide the originals, the print outs need to be stamped.

·
Registered
556 Posts
(i) a period of 6 months prior to the date of application if the person has been employed by their current employer for at least 6 months (and where paragraph 13(b) of the Appendix does not apply); - Not provided
Well you've mentioned here "not provided" - looks like the refusal was for this.

If you are want to appeal, i suggest taking some legal advice and see what they say and whether you have grounds for appeal that will ensure a quick turnaround. If not then submit the case again from scratch.

I'd speak to a local MP and see if they can make an enquiry on your behalf as you've stated that the payslips were submitted and the case was refused. Were these payslips 6 months prior to submitting the application?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well you've mentioned here "not provided" - looks like the refusal was for this.

If you are want to appeal, i suggest taking some legal advice and see what they say and whether you have grounds for appeal that will ensure a quick turnaround. If not then submit the case again from scratch.

I'd speak to a local MP and see if they can make an enquiry on your behalf as you've stated that the payslips were submitted and the case was refused. Were these payslips 6 months prior to submitting the application?
Yes these were payslips for the prior 6 months before the application was submitted. thanks for the suggestion, I will contact my local MP.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had my (self printed) payslips stamped by my employer. The person writing the employment letter also signed each of them. I think it is similar to bank statements - if you can't provide the originals, the print outs need to be stamped.
I wish I had done the same now I just don't understand what they think an original formal payslip is suppose to look like and how they can tell whether it was me or the employer who printed it.

·
Super Moderator
5,188 Posts
My payslips are emailed to me each month as password protected pdf documents. I can download these and then print them out, which is what I did and these were submitted. They are generated by our payroll software (PaySuite) and contain the company name and the required information.

They made no contact with my employer during the entire process
The Home Office is under no obligation to contact employers on your behalf to verify if the documents that you submit are genuine or not. The onus is on you to provide genuine payslips or self-printed out slips that have been stamped/signed by your employer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Home Office is under no obligation to contact employers on your behalf to verify if the documents that you submit are genuine or not. The onus is on you to provide genuine payslips or self-printed out slips that have been stamped/signed by your employer.
I understand they have no obligation (which considering how much they charge for a visa is absurd but it's their rules I guess so can't really argue) but what is an original formal payslip or genuine as you put it? Is it printed on some kind of special paper or something?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was the most recent payslip no more than 28 days older then when you applied?
It was, it was dated 30/06 the application was submitted on the 24/07. I don't think this was the issue.

I'm just trying to understand what an original formal payslip is suppose to be?

But for anyone who hasn't yet applied and receives e payslips just get them stamped and signed by your employer and with an accompanying letter stating their authenticity just to be on the safe side in case your ECO is picky.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Payslips in this day and age are normally emailed to people, so printing them with all the company details and tax code etc on it is legit, Home Office/Sheffield are just picky!

I just don't understand why they don't look up the National Insurance number as i'm sure that will show where you work and how much you are earning?

Just make sure that they are signed by the employer and write a short letter to say these are genuine wage slips issued by the company and get the boss or whoever manages the pay to hand sign it.

Reactions: nat_west

·
Super Moderator
5,188 Posts
I understand they have no obligation (which considering how much they charge for a visa is absurd but it's their rules I guess so can't really argue) but what is an original formal payslip or genuine as you put it? Is it printed on some kind of special paper or something?
When I was working here in the UK, I received payslips from my employer that looked like this

At past jobs I had in Canada, I received payslips that were that were printed and glued together before being issued and I had to remove some paper strips (along some perforations) and pull the advice slip out of the "envelope"... other slips I received looked like this.

These slips generally were printed on so-called NCR or carbonless paper that have special security/privacy features on them that one can usually use to verify the authenticity of the document.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.