Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My wife, 3 month old son, and I are strongly considering relocating to the east coast of Spain. My wife and I are both EU citizens and both speak Spanish fluently. My wife is Colombian and has a Hungarian and US passport, and I have a US and Greek passport. We are thinking about buying a house but would like to rent for a year first to figure out exactly where to buy. We were thinking about Alicante or somewhere north or south of the area. We are flexible.

I am an English professor in the states and hope to be able to teach English wherever we settle in order to have income for our living expenses. Since we are planning on buying a house, we would not have a mortgage, so I'm wondering about the cost of living (excluding mortgage). Any advice would be greatly appreciated regarding raising a child in Spain, cost of living, healthcare, etc...

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello, just a few words about the move: it would probably be helpful for you to get a qualification in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) if you don't already have one as most English language schools here require it and many offer the course itself -you wouldn't have a problem enrolling with your existing qualifications and the course itself, although intense, isn't too long.
As regards Residency you should contact your local Spanish consulate for the foreigners registration number NIE, you can apply in Spain but it's less hassle to have one beforehand. It opens many doors as does a Spanish phone number as for home delivery and indeed furniture moving most Spanish companies will not accept a foreign number and insist on a local one. It's a simple matter to get a sim card sent to you before you move, you can buy one online, alternatively give your estate agent's number and get one in any of the many phone shops in Spain as soon as you arrive.
To satisfy the residence requirements you'll need to show you have medical insurance but if you become an employee paying Spanish social insurance contributions this will be sufficient. Make at least four copies of every important document you possess, a printer with scanning and photocopying functions will prove very useful.
Hope this is helpful, it's based on what I learned having recently made the move myself.
Good luck and best wishes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Addendum: in my zeal to share info I didn't notice at first that your query was more about the cost of living etc rather than the ins and outs of moving. I'd say the cost of living here is about 25% less than in Ireland. If you go to Numbeo you'll get a comparison with the U.S. I don't drive but public transport is very cheap. And depending on the location accommodation is very reasonable. You can get a decent 2 bedroomed flat for as little as €500 or less. Go to ThinkSpain to get an idea of what's on offer but be warned that a lot of the properties advertised have already been rented as they're a bit slow in taking the ads down. The site also has properties for sale but almost everyone will tell you to rent first, look around, then buy.
Also a short stay here before committing yourselves to the move would be advisable.

·
Registered
15,744 Posts
You´ll find health insurance very much cheaper than it is in the US. And if you are working and paying social security contributions, your whole family will get free cover in the state system, which is very good.

Your son will grow up bilingual - trilingual probably, as he will pick up Catalan from other children. Spain is very child-friendly, he'll have a great life.

When you apply for residency you´ll be required to prove you have enough money to live on (currently around €700 per person per month (including the baby??) and private health insurance. I'd say €2,000 a month is the minumum you'll need for a comfortable existence, but many Spaniards live on much less.

Excellent advice to get the TEFL certificate. You won't earn a fortune teaching at a language school but you can always give private lessons on top. A location where there aren't many other British immigrants will give you an advantage in this respect.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts