Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am currently pursuing my Masters in IT (Software Engineering) and am expected to graduate by June, 2018. I wanted to get some idea about the next steps.

I heard that we need to get the overseas Bachelor degree assessed in order to claim 15 points for the overseas degree (A Bachelor degree from an Australian educational institution or a Bachelor qualification, from another educational institution that is of a recognised standard. ). I did my Bachelors in Computer Science from JNTU, Hyderabad, India.

Could anyone help me out with that? How do I get my Bachelors degree assessed?

I just joined the group. So if I've missed out on any threads that already discussed this, please help me out with the links.

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I am currently pursuing my Masters in IT (Software Engineering) and am expected to graduate by June, 2018. I wanted to get some idea about the next steps.

I heard that we need to get the overseas Bachelor degree assessed in order to claim 15 points for the overseas degree (A Bachelor degree from an Australian educational institution or a Bachelor qualification, from another educational institution that is of a recognised standard. ). I did my Bachelors in Computer Science from JNTU, Hyderabad, India.

Could anyone help me out with that? How do I get my Bachelors degree assessed?

I just joined the group. So if I've missed out on any threads that already discussed this, please help me out with the links.

Thanks in advance for all your advice.
Hi,

It is not always mandatory to get Bachelor degree assessed if you have higher degree(s) like Masters. If you want to get 15 points you can easily get from your Masters degree after completion. However, if you want to claim any experience and that too was prior to your Masters degree then you will need to go for your bachelor degree assessment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

It is not always mandatory to get Bachelor degree assessed if you have higher degree(s) like Masters. If you want to get 15 points you can easily get from your Masters degree after completion. However, if you want to claim any experience and that too was prior to your Masters degree then you will need to go for your bachelor degree assessment.
Hello Adnan,

But there is another section where we get 5 points if we do a degree in Australia. So I thought that we get 5 points for completing Masters and 15 points for Bachelors.

According to you, if we complete Masters, do we also get the 5 points for the section where it is mentioned as "At least one degree, diploma or trade qualification from an Australian educational institution that meets the Australian study requirement"?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hello Adnan,

But there is another section where we get 5 points if we do a degree in Australia. So I thought that we get 5 points for completing Masters and 15 points for Bachelors.

According to you, if we complete Masters, do we also get the 5 points for the section where it is mentioned as "At least one degree, diploma or trade qualification from an Australian educational institution that meets the Australian study requirement"?
Yes that's right. If you complete bachelor degree or higher which satisfies Australian study requirement you get 20 points, 15 for bachelor and 5 for Australian studies, regardless of your overseas education.

If you complete any education which is not equivalent to Australian bachelor but satisfies Australian study requirement then you get 5 points for Australian studies plus whatever the higher education you have completed in your lifetime.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Adnan,

Thanks for the advice. That solves my confusion.

Ive got 6 months to graduate. Is there anything that I should do to prepare for the PR application?

The current cutoff is at 65 for IT and i will exactly get 65 once I graduate.

20-PTE
25-age (24 in 2018)
15-bachelors
5-Masters.

If I wait for another year, then i will get 5 extra points for age and also 5 extra for work experience.

What do you think I should do? Should I wait for an year or apply after my graduation?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts