Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family have just been granted our permanent residency visas.
We don't plan to take up permanent residency until Jan 2013 but will be going to Oz Apr 2011 for initial entry and a recce. However there are a few jobs advertised with Jan 2011 start dates so I am going to apply to test the water, see how my CV sits with Australian schools and if I am successful we may just go for it rather than wait.
We plan to take our dog (when we go for good). How should we plan for rental accommodation with this in mind?
We are looking at Sunshine Coast probably.
I am a secondary teacher (head of dept). What is the likelihood that I would be able to get a similar promoted post? Would I have to work my way up from the bottom again, don't mind but would be nice to know?
Also, does anyone know about teacher's salaries? Do you start off at the bottom and work your way up the payscale depending on time served in Oz, or do you go in at an appropriate pay scale to your level of experience that you currently have?
Another thing, does anyone have any experience or advice on building your own house, especially in Queensland?

·
Banned
934 Posts
You'll struggle to get any teaching job in any desireable decent area in Australia so essentially yes you'll start at the bottom.

I don't understand the facisnation of building my own home in some **** dangerous suburb but yeah what ever floats your boat I guess.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Carol-Anne,

I've deleted your other post since it was the same as this one and you kept trying to bump it up. That's not fair on other members and if members know the answer they do tend to reply.

Please remember that no-one is paid to reply on this forum (not even the moderators :) ) and this is all on a volunteer basis. And there are some questions that are so specific that they may not get an answer since we can only talk about our experience (or the experiences of other members) since we are not agents.

Rental accommodation: Get in contact with agents in the area and see what they say. A lot of rental accommodation will not take pets at all and you may have to pay a higher bond (deposit).

I don't have any advice on teaching or building your own home (although it's very common down here on the Limestone Coast).

If you haven't done so already try doing a search on the forum and you may find some of your questions have already been answered :)

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Karen,
thanks for the advice towards the end of your response, very much appreciated as advice is what I was looking for when I posted the thread.
With regard to deleting my original post you would also have noticed how long the original message had been posted with no response until I added to it.
As for being unfair to other users, I disagree.
I am aware that this is a forum and those who use it are not agents, I was merely seeking advice and thought that was what this forum was for. It's not like I was using my post for advertising or anything terrible like that :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
My family have just been granted our permanent residency visas.
We don't plan to take up permanent residency until Jan 2013 but will be going to Oz Apr 2011 for initial entry and a recce. However there are a few jobs advertised with Jan 2011 start dates so I am going to apply to test the water, see how my CV sits with Australian schools and if I am successful we may just go for it rather than wait.
We plan to take our dog (when we go for good). How should we plan for rental accommodation with this in mind?
We are looking at Sunshine Coast probably.
I am a secondary teacher (head of dept). What is the likelihood that I would be able to get a similar promoted post? Would I have to work my way up from the bottom again, don't mind but would be nice to know?
Also, does anyone know about teacher's salaries? Do you start off at the bottom and work your way up the payscale depending on time served in Oz, or do you go in at an appropriate pay scale to your level of experience that you currently have?
Another thing, does anyone have any experience or advice on building your own house, especially in Queensland?
LIves on the sunshine coast , re teaching , you might try googling Education QUeensland website or the Queensland Teachers Union for help re this ( though we need all the good teachers we can get , queensland has low educational standards). As for builidng your own home that varies with each reigon ( council) they all have thier own rules some are easy to get along with others are real ratbags. As for your dog , i'd look at mebee putting him in a kennel for the short term and look around for a rental , some allow animals some dont. mebee again google sunshine coast newspapers or real estate agents under rentals for more information.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
With regard to deleting my original post you would also have noticed how long the original message had been posted with no response until I added to it.
As for being unfair to other users, I disagree.
I am aware that this is a forum and those who use it are not agents, I was merely seeking advice and thought that was what this forum was for. It's not like I was using my post for advertising or anything terrible like that :)
We can only give advice on the subjects we know and therefore as I mentioned some posts will go unanswered.

It is being unfair to other users since when you bump up your post you push their post down and that's why I won't allow bumping from any members.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LIves on the sunshine coast , re teaching , you might try googling Education QUeensland website or the Queensland Teachers Union for help re this ( though we need all the good teachers we can get , queensland has low educational standards). As for builidng your own home that varies with each reigon ( council) they all have thier own rules some are easy to get along with others are real ratbags. As for your dog , i'd look at mebee putting him in a kennel for the short term and look around for a rental , some allow animals some dont. mebee again google sunshine coast newspapers or real estate agents under rentals for more information.
Thank you very much for your advice, I will look into kennels.
I didn't know that Queensland education had a poor reputation, best get in there and shake things up a bit then. I've noticed they are in the process of major curricular reform. It's the same in Scotland at the moment and it looks like a lot of what they are doing is very similar to what we are doing here, I think we may be a bit further along with it though as we have begun implementation.
Thanks once again:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts