Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking for some advice please. I am a UKC married to a USC, living in UK, my husband has his LTR. I have an unmarried 21 yrs old daughter. We would all like to go to USA to live. I understand that my husband would go back to USA first to petiton for me, then hopefully I would eventually get my green card, how long approx would this take? Also, once I have my green card, and have permenant residence, I understand that I can petiton for my daughter, to come over with me sponsering her, approx how long would this take?
Can I recieve my own green card while still being in the UK, or do I need to be in USA, and if I can recieve it while in UK, how long can I be here before I would need to go to USA, (reason being, my daughter still lives with me, and want to have as little time away from her as possible). Would appriciate any help and advice, also any other information regarding our wishes.
Thank you

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Hi, I'm looking for some advice please. I am a UKC married to a USC, living in UK, my husband has his LTR. I have an unmarried 21 yrs old daughter. We would all like to go to USA to live. I understand that my husband would go back to USA first to petiton for me,[
Yes you can do that
spousal visa
Immigrant Visa for a Spouse of a U.S. Citizen (IR1 or CR1)
or file in the london consulate
Filing I-130/I-360 | Embassy of the United States

then hopefully I would eventually get my green card, how long approx would this take?
From the US about a year

Also, once I have my green card, and have permenant residence, I understand that I can petiton for my daughter, to come over with me sponsering her, approx how long would this take?
as an LPR you can file for an unmarried daughter
currently takes around 7 years

Can I recieve my own green card while still being in the UK, or do I need to be in USA,
you get it on arrival in the US ..its mailed to you

and if I can recieve it while in UK, how long can I be here before I would need to go to USA, (reason being, my daughter still lives with me, and want to have as little time away from her as possible).
That not going to happen .. she is an adult and has no right to enter the
us as a child

Would appriciate any help and advice, also any other information regarding our wishes.
Thank you

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
One common option in that age range is that your daughter pursue a university degree -- an advanced one, probably -- in the United States if you all want to be together for some/most of that permanent residency waiting time. She'd get a student visa in other words. We're assuming of course she is not a U.S. citizen.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
Thank you for your answers, Davis1, I'm not quite understanding your last answer to me, I understand she cant enter the US as a child, I know, what I was asking, (I probably worded it wrong,) was if I am granted my green card, can I still be in the UK when its granted, and if so, when granted, how long would it be before I would have to move to the US, before it would become void, (if that happens) is there a time limit after it being granted, that I need to go to US, or is it like UK Leave to Remain, come and go as pleased? not sure if conditions apply, I've been married over two yrs.
BBCwatcher, correct, she in not a US citizen, and at the moment she is currently doing an Open University degree, not sure if she could transfer or anything.
thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
You can file DCF direct consular filing with the London US embassy which should take 3-6 months. Once your Green Card is approved you have six months to enter the US with it. After a Green Card is Granted | USCIS
This link should answer your questions - a Green Card is no ticket to Prison USA but your center of life has to be the US.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
You just get the Immigrant visa in the UK no green card is not even made until you arrive and the paperwork is inspected... once you have the visa you have 180 days to enter the US

1 - 7 of 7 Posts