Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I know this forum is more for people moving to Australia permanently, but my husband and I would like to go to Perth for approximately 3 1/2 months from the middle of December 2015 to the end of March 2016. We know it is expensive, but we would appreciate any help we could get in finding a decent place to rent for that amount of time. Yes, we know we can look on Trade Me, but we have no idea where is a good area. We don't want to live in a high crime place. Also, we won't have a car, so we would need good transportation.

Any advice you can give would be great, where to go, what to do, where to eat etc. We have been to Australia before 15 years ago for one month in January, we went to Sydney and drove to Cairns and back to Sydney and we ate mainly at the RSL clubs, great wholesome food at great prices. At that time we were staying in hotels, (very expensive.) We are not youngsters, so backpacking and hostels are not our thing. We were hoping to find a base for the time we are there and do things from that rather than moving from place to place.

TIA for any help. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,694 Posts
Hi all,

I know this forum is more for people moving to Australia permanently, but my husband and I would like to go to Perth for approximately 3 1/2 months from the middle of December 2015 to the end of March 2016. We know it is expensive, but we would appreciate any help we could get in finding a decent place to rent for that amount of time. Yes, we know we can look on Trade Me, but we have no idea where is a good area. We don't want to live in a high crime place. Also, we won't have a car, so we would need good transportation.

Any advice you can give would be great, where to go, what to do, where to eat etc. We have been to Australia before 15 years ago for one month in January, we went to Sydney and drove to Cairns and back to Sydney and we ate mainly at the RSL clubs, great wholesome food at great prices. At that time we were staying in hotels, (very expensive.) We are not youngsters, so backpacking and hostels are not our thing. We were hoping to find a base for the time we are there and do things from that rather than moving from place to place.

TIA for any help. :)
What are you coming to do? 3 and a half months is a good long time!

It will of course be right in the middle of summer. Do you intend to venture much into the countryside? Do you drive at all, or will you always need public transport?

kaju

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are you coming to do? 3 and a half months is a good long time!

It will of course be right in the middle of summer. Do you intend to venture much into the countryside? Do you drive at all, or will you always need public transport?

kaju
Thanks for your reply Kaju,

We do drive, but won't have a vehicle, although we may rent one for a couple of weeks to explore a bit more. We are looking for a safe area to rent something in that is close to public transport.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,694 Posts
Thanks for your reply Kaju,

We do drive, but won't have a vehicle, although we may rent one for a couple of weeks to explore a bit more. We are looking for a safe area to rent something in that is close to public transport.

Thanks
A lot depends on the reason for your visit, as well as several other factors of course. Accommodation advertised as "short-term" that I might consider a handy location like Subiaco, will be at something of a premium - perhaps $1200 a week for a 2 bedroom apartment. Other places slightly further out will be cheaper, of course.

Do you have any reason to look in a specific area - like North or South of the Swan Riiver? Do you need to be near the beach? How far from the city is too far? (in time) Are Buses ok? (There are only a few rail lines).

Overall, the bigger Metropolitan Area is pretty safe, but there are certainly iffy pockets that I would avoid - the length of the Armadale train line from Gosnells to Armadale, areas around Midland, again not great on the train sometimes. Rockingham to the south is quite bogan-ish, so quite a lot of hoon drivers, etc.

Do you need all facilities? Can you get by without a pool, or does that need to be at your holiday place? Are there any other requirements? Upper crust? Or simple middle-class suburbia? Unit (apartment) or house?

Are you coming for Christmas to be with relatives? If so, how far from them can you be? Are your dates of travel fixed? Staying over Christmas in short-term accommodation can be done, but might cost more.

cheers
kaju

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lot depends on the reason for your visit, as well as several other factors of course. Accommodation advertised as "short-term" that I might consider a handy location like Subiaco, will be at something of a premium - perhaps $1200 a week for a 2 bedroom apartment. Other places slightly further out will be cheaper, of course.
We are visiting because we want to explore this beautiful Country. We have been to the East Coast and would now like to explore WA.

Do you have any reason to look in a specific area - like North or South of the Swan Riiver? Do you need to be near the beach? How far from the city is too far? (in time) Are Buses ok? (There are only a few rail lines).
It doesn't really matter where we are located, there are only two real requirements. The first being a safe place and the second being that it needs to be close to transportation.

Overall, the bigger Metropolitan Area is pretty safe, but there are certainly iffy pockets that I would avoid - the length of the Armadale train line from Gosnells to Armadale, areas around Midland, again not great on the train sometimes. Rockingham to the south is quite bogan-ish, so quite a lot of hoon drivers, etc.
Yes, it's those iffy pockets that we need to know about so we can avoid them. Not sure what bogan-ish means, sorry.

Do you need all facilities? Can you get by without a pool, or does that need to be at your holiday place? Are there any other requirements? Upper crust? Or simple middle-class suburbia? Unit (apartment) or house?
We are certainly not upper crust kind of people, the only requirements that we have regarding accommodation are, clean (high priority) non smoking, quiet, (if possible) Kitchen facilities need to be good as we like to cook our own food. We do not need a pool and don't want to be in the bush where spiders or snakes might be prevalent. I think I could probably find the accommodation on Airbnb, but it's the area I need to be looking in that I need help with.

Are you coming for Christmas to be with relatives? If so, how far from them can you be? Are your dates of travel fixed? Staying over Christmas in short-term accommodation can be done, but might cost more.
We have no relatives in Australia and no our dates are not fixed, in fact we have changed them slightly since I first posted asking for advice.

cheers
kaju
Cheers to you also

·
Super Moderator
5,694 Posts
It doesn't really matter where we are located, there are only two real requirements. The first being a safe place and the second being that it needs to be close to transportation.
I'll arrange a map of all Perth suburbs tomorrow and outline the areas where I wouldn't stay - you'll be able to download it from a dropbox link I'll put on another post here tomorrow. Transport networks are pretty good except for very late at night.

Generally though, I wouldn't consider Perth especially unsafe at all, although being careful outside at night would be common sense, as in most cities.

cheers
kaju

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll arrange a map of all Perth suburbs tomorrow and outline the areas where I wouldn't stay - you'll be able to download it from a dropbox link I'll put on another post here tomorrow. Transport networks are pretty good except for very late at night.

Generally though, I wouldn't consider Perth especially unsafe at all, although being careful outside at night would be common sense, as in most cities.

cheers
kaju
Thanks again Kaju, it is much appreciated. Coming from North America and the big city here, we are always conscious of safety. It's pretty hard to know where to go when you have never been there so asking for help is always a good idea. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,694 Posts
Rather than publicly show areas which I think might not be, uhh, completely desirable, and perhaps raise the hackles of others, or start a long discussion on the merits of different suburbs, I've sent you a PM (personal message) with that information.

cheers
kaju

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rather than publicly show areas which I think might not be, uhh, completely desirable, and perhaps raise the hackles of others, or start a long discussion on the merits of different suburbs, I've sent you a PM (personal message) with that information.

cheers
kaju
Thanks Kaju, I have replied to your PM. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts