Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Myself and my boyfriend have a big dream to move to NZ within the next few years, and I figured this is as good a place to find out some info.

Since visiting in 2012 it has been on my mind ever since. I felt totally at home there and I love the way of life compared to the UK. Neither of us are happy living in the UK (even though we are both from here!) but we have also never moved abroad before - and this is probably the furthest place we could have chosen. So for me (not so much boyfriend) I need to get over my fear of the unknown! I keep worrying I will get home sick but know I would just need to persevere.

What is the job market like? We are thinking North Island ideally, are there any parts in particular we should look at? Boyfriend is an artic lorry driver and I am currently doing a degree in Psychology (wont go until that's done).

We don't want to live in the really busy areas, we are happiest when we have space to be outdoors and enjoy the countryside. Anywhere in particular we should be looking?

The big part about us moving, is our 2 dogs. One of them originally came from Cyprus so he has flown before but the other dog hasn't. Has anybody else on here moved dogs from UK to NZ? Did you find it ok, or was it very stressful on the dog?
We wouldn't want to do it if there was any risk of us coming back again as I wouldn't want to put them through the flight twice.

I think that's the main questions for now, if you have any other info that you think would help then please add it in!

Thank you in advance :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
First worry about the college first, as you'll need the education and a job offer to get a visa from immigration in order to be able to move over there and 2nd, make sure that you can handle being away from your friends and family first. That's a very important and very hard choice for a lot of people to deal with. Get that part figured out in your mind first, then worry about the next step once it comes time.

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Hi everyone,

Myself and my boyfriend have a big dream to move to NZ within the next few years, and I figured this is as good a place to find out some info.

Since visiting in 2012 it has been on my mind ever since. I felt totally at home there and I love the way of life compared to the UK. Neither of us are happy living in the UK (even though we are both from here!) but we have also never moved abroad before - and this is probably the furthest place we could have chosen. So for me (not so much boyfriend) I need to get over my fear of the unknown! I keep worrying I will get home sick but know I would just need to persevere.

What is the job market like? We are thinking North Island ideally, are there any parts in particular we should look at? Boyfriend is an artic lorry driver and I am currently doing a degree in Psychology (wont go until that's done).

We don't want to live in the really busy areas, we are happiest when we have space to be outdoors and enjoy the countryside. Anywhere in particular we should be looking?

The big part about us moving, is our 2 dogs. One of them originally came from Cyprus so he has flown before but the other dog hasn't. Has anybody else on here moved dogs from UK to NZ? Did you find it ok, or was it very stressful on the dog?
We wouldn't want to do it if there was any risk of us coming back again as I wouldn't want to put them through the flight twice.

I think that's the main questions for now, if you have any other info that you think would help then please add it in!

Thank you in advance :)
Hi and welcome to the forum,

We too wanted a much slower, more fulfilling, less materialistic lifestyle than we had in the UK. We didn't like living in the UK rut although we had a great lifestyle, good jobs, a really nice home etc it wasn't enough. We also wanted to live nearer to a good beach and give our kids a completely different lifestyle than what we had when we were kids back in the 1970's/1980's in North West England. Only difference for us is that we had never been for a visit beforehand. We had planned to come out on a recce/holiday trip, but the Mrs fell pregnant with our first so it never happened so we just jumped in with both feet - new adventure n all that!
I felt totally at ease the moment I stepped off the airplane. Didn't take me long to settle at all. Not surprising really. I'd be happy living anywhere so long as I have my family with me and they're blossoming and happy plus beer, sand and golf :D
The Kiwi way of life is soooo much more different than what you expect (not in a bad way) and it took my Mrs way longer to get used to it and like it here but eventually she has done and has settled.
We started off in Wellington which was fine but after 2.5 years moved North to Tauranga in the Bay Of Plenty for the much better climate.

Can't really comment on your fears of the unknown. If you want to try living in another country it's something you're just going to have to get over or live with. We've done it and we're still alive. We have really missed family and friends and the contact does slowly reduce but if we didn't sacrifice those friendships and that contact we wouldn't have been able to live here :p

Job market all depends what occupation you are looking at.

The main thing you have to worry about is How you are going to get a visa that allows you to live study and work here ?
Most likely at least one of you will need a written job offer from an NZ employer and this offer can then be used to apply for a visa. The place that you initially live will be the place where you get a job so don't get hung up on the Where for the time being. It isn't important. What is important is getting a job offer no matter where that may be. Once you are here and working you can travel to check out other places, get a feel for NZ and then decide if you want to concentrate on getting work in another area if you wish to move.
Truck driver is a skilled occupation and on the Canterbury Skill Shortage List so if he received a job offer from an employer in this region then the temporary work visa application shouldn't be too difficult.

For the North Island the main centres are Auckland, Wellington, Hamilton, Tauranga, New Plymouth and Palmerston North. As for busy places, only Auckland is busy from a people and traffic point of view, but the countryside is still all around and in between. You are never far from somewhere rural in NZ and it's never more than 100 KM's to the beach no matter where you are.
As I said I wouldn't worry about location as Christchurch and others on the SI are fine places to live and could be at least a stepping stone. I wouldn't discount anywhere if I was trying to get here.

Many people bring dogs over. A few of our friends have done it and the dogs were very well looked after and not stressed. It is a huge cost though. Maybe £5k for a couple.

Just ask away with any questions.

Reactions: jawnbc and Baker190

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum,

We too wanted a much slower, more fulfilling, less materialistic lifestyle than we had in the UK. We didn't like living in the UK rut although we had a great lifestyle, good jobs, a really nice home etc it wasn't enough. We also wanted to live nearer to a good beach and give our kids a completely different lifestyle than what we had when we were kids back in the 1970's/1980's in North West England. Only difference for us is that we had never been for a visit beforehand. We had planned to come out on a recce/holiday trip, but the Mrs fell pregnant with our first so it never happened so we just jumped in with both feet - new adventure n all that!
I felt totally at ease the moment I stepped off the airplane. Didn't take me long to settle at all. Not surprising really. I'd be happy living anywhere so long as I have my family with me and they're blossoming and happy plus beer, sand and golf :D
The Kiwi way of life is soooo much more different than what you expect (not in a bad way) and it took my Mrs way longer to get used to it and like it here but eventually she has done and has settled.
We started off in Wellington which was fine but after 2.5 years moved North to Tauranga in the Bay Of Plenty for the much better climate.

Can't really comment on your fears of the unknown. If you want to try living in another country it's something you're just going to have to get over or live with. We've done it and we're still alive. We have really missed family and friends and the contact does slowly reduce but if we didn't sacrifice those friendships and that contact we wouldn't have been able to live here :p

Job market all depends what occupation you are looking at.

The main thing you have to worry about is How you are going to get a visa that allows you to live study and work here ?
Most likely at least one of you will need a written job offer from an NZ employer and this offer can then be used to apply for a visa. The place that you initially live will be the place where you get a job so don't get hung up on the Where for the time being. It isn't important. What is important is getting a job offer no matter where that may be. Once you are here and working you can travel to check out other places, get a feel for NZ and then decide if you want to concentrate on getting work in another area if you wish to move.
Truck driver is a skilled occupation and on the Canterbury Skill Shortage List so if he received a job offer from an employer in this region then the temporary work visa application shouldn't be too difficult.

For the North Island the main centres are Auckland, Wellington, Hamilton, Tauranga, New Plymouth and Palmerston North. As for busy places, only Auckland is busy from a people and traffic point of view, but the countryside is still all around and in between. You are never far from somewhere rural in NZ and it's never more than 100 KM's to the beach no matter where you are.
As I said I wouldn't worry about location as Christchurch and others on the SI are fine places to live and could be at least a stepping stone. I wouldn't discount anywhere if I was trying to get here.

Many people bring dogs over. A few of our friends have done it and the dogs were very well looked after and not stressed. It is a huge cost though. Maybe £5k for a couple.

Just ask away with any questions.
Thank you so much for the detailed reply, its good to hear from someone that has also made the leap into the unknown and not regretted the decision!
My boyfriend would live anywhere, he isn't at all phased, I am just the kind of person that needs to do things to then realise that the time worrying wasn't worth it after all - I will be a mess leading up to it worrying but at the same time we aren't at all happy with life here. We want a better work/life balance and all round lifestyle which we wont have here.

I have been looking into visa options and it did notice that with his current licences Christchurch would be a good option. How does it work with visa and job offers- as in can he receive a job offer for something not on the skilled list and that be used for our visa for example? I have been doing loads of research on everything but the visa part is the bit that I am trying to get my head around. If we wait until I am a qualified Psychologist then that is on the skills shortage and skills occupation list so that would give us even more opportunity.

Can I ask what made you make the move having never been? Funnily enough a good friend of mine lives in Tauranga so that's where I visited and absolutely loved it! They are coming over to stay in the next few weeks for a holiday so we will be picking their brains whilst they are here!

With regards to the dogs, it does seem a very normal thing for people to move animals abroad, maybe I am thinking too much into it! The cost is something we would just live with to be honest, we wouldn't go and leave them behind ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Thank you so much for the detailed reply, its good to hear from someone that has also made the leap into the unknown and not regretted the decision!
My boyfriend would live anywhere, he isn't at all phased, I am just the kind of person that needs to do things to then realise that the time worrying wasn't worth it after all - I will be a mess leading up to it worrying but at the same time we aren't at all happy with life here. We want a better work/life balance and all round lifestyle which we wont have here.

I have been looking into visa options and it did notice that with his current licences Christchurch would be a good option. How does it work with visa and job offers- as in can he receive a job offer for something not on the skilled list and that be used for our visa for example? I have been doing loads of research on everything but the visa part is the bit that I am trying to get my head around. If we wait until I am a qualified Psychologist then that is on the skills shortage and skills occupation list so that would give us even more opportunity.

Can I ask what made you make the move having never been? Funnily enough a good friend of mine lives in Tauranga so that's where I visited and absolutely loved it! They are coming over to stay in the next few weeks for a holiday so we will be picking their brains whilst they are here!

With regards to the dogs, it does seem a very normal thing for people to move animals abroad, maybe I am thinking too much into it! The cost is something we would just live with to be honest, we wouldn't go and leave them behind ;)
I can sympathise with you about life in the UK and a better work/life balance here in NZ. Much the same reasons why we moved across the world. In our experience, NZ has not failed at all. Yes it is way more expensive to live here and yes in general salaries are a lot less than the UK, but after months/years of living here it pales in to insignificance as you can't get away from those facts and live here with the benefits of a much better climate and a much better lifestyle and work/life balance.
It doesn't work for everyone though and you really need to do your homework before coming here. Our work/life balance was massively improved coming here but in saying that it all depends on the industry you are working in and your employer....they're not all family friendly.
There are some old interesting forum discussions (Google is your friend) about truck driving in NZ and they don't paint a great picture of it, however I've no idea how this compares to NZ. With you doing the Psychologist degree you'll also never have worked in this industry in the UK or in NZ so won't have a clue if the occupation is better in the UK or in NZ and whether either allows a good work/life balance. You need to research research research.

As visas go, you really have only two options.....you either apply for a temporary work visa or you apply for a permanent resident visa.
For the temporary work visa route the person applying must have a written job offer from an NZ employer and assuming that visa can be granted (for up to 5 years depending on the length of the job offer) you can also score a temporary work visa on the basis of partnership. Take note though that new rules have been applied that take effect Aug 14th onwards and it may affect the eligibility of the partner to get a visa through partnership.
Getting a job offer whilst overseas is difficult. Truck driver is classed as a skilled occupation but it is only listed on the Canterbury Skill Shortage List so in that respect it'll be more straightforward if he got a job offer from an employer in this region as Immigration has identified there is a skill shortage there so won't apply any other hoops to jump through whilst processing the visa. If he got a truck driving job offer anywhere else in the country the employer would have to justify offering the job to someone from overseas so it would be harder to get the visa.
For the permanent resident visa route via the skilled migrant category it's a points system and you need at least 160 points for the EOI to be selected so will most likely need points from a job offer to get your score high enough. Unfortunately truck driver is not on the skills shortage list for this visa type (it's called the LTSSL) so you wouldn't get any points for it even if your partner got a job offer meaning you'd be unlikely to score enough for the EOI. It is possible that your soon to be occupation Psychologist will be on the LTSSL, but you need at least 2 or 3 years post qualification experience in order to claim the points and you are unlikely to land a job as a newly qualified Psychologist here in NZ so again this may mean you wouldn't be able to make the points. You'd also need to gain professional registration for that occupation and it may not be possible to do that here in NZ without some experience. You most certainly wouldn't be able to be employed without the registration.
Looks like the temporary work visa route via a truck driving job offer in Canterbury region is your only option for the time being.

You can score a temporary work visa with a job offer not on the skills list but the process is more difficult for you and for the employer. More hoops to jump through.

There are other options - e.g. visitor visas or WHV (working holiday visas) but with you wanting to ship dogs with you that kind of rules them out.

We always wanted to live elsewhere. We didn't like the way the UK was going. We didn't agree with the influx of so many immigrants on benefits etc plus a lot more issues besides. Too many people, too much traffic, crap weather etc.
Just wanted to live somewhere with a better climate, good outdoors, good beaches, less people, less traffic, much safer as in regards serious crime, less politically correct....and NZ has all this. Tauranga is awesome and after 5 years renting we have now bought our own lifestyle block and built our own house so are settling in well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can sympathise with you about life in the UK and a better work/life balance here in NZ. Much the same reasons why we moved across the world. In our experience, NZ has not failed at all. Yes it is way more expensive to live here and yes in general salaries are a lot less than the UK, but after months/years of living here it pales in to insignificance as you can't get away from those facts and live here with the benefits of a much better climate and a much better lifestyle and work/life balance.
It doesn't work for everyone though and you really need to do your homework before coming here. Our work/life balance was massively improved coming here but in saying that it all depends on the industry you are working in and your employer....they're not all family friendly.
There are some old interesting forum discussions (Google is your friend) about truck driving in NZ and they don't paint a great picture of it, however I've no idea how this compares to NZ. With you doing the Psychologist degree you'll also never have worked in this industry in the UK or in NZ so won't have a clue if the occupation is better in the UK or in NZ and whether either allows a good work/life balance. You need to research research research.

As visas go, you really have only two options.....you either apply for a temporary work visa or you apply for a permanent resident visa.
For the temporary work visa route the person applying must have a written job offer from an NZ employer and assuming that visa can be granted (for up to 5 years depending on the length of the job offer) you can also score a temporary work visa on the basis of partnership. Take note though that new rules have been applied that take effect Aug 14th onwards and it may affect the eligibility of the partner to get a visa through partnership.
Getting a job offer whilst overseas is difficult. Truck driver is classed as a skilled occupation but it is only listed on the Canterbury Skill Shortage List so in that respect it'll be more straightforward if he got a job offer from an employer in this region as Immigration has identified there is a skill shortage there so won't apply any other hoops to jump through whilst processing the visa. If he got a truck driving job offer anywhere else in the country the employer would have to justify offering the job to someone from overseas so it would be harder to get the visa.
For the permanent resident visa route via the skilled migrant category it's a points system and you need at least 160 points for the EOI to be selected so will most likely need points from a job offer to get your score high enough. Unfortunately truck driver is not on the skills shortage list for this visa type (it's called the LTSSL) so you wouldn't get any points for it even if your partner got a job offer meaning you'd be unlikely to score enough for the EOI. It is possible that your soon to be occupation Psychologist will be on the LTSSL, but you need at least 2 or 3 years post qualification experience in order to claim the points and you are unlikely to land a job as a newly qualified Psychologist here in NZ so again this may mean you wouldn't be able to make the points. You'd also need to gain professional registration for that occupation and it may not be possible to do that here in NZ without some experience. You most certainly wouldn't be able to be employed without the registration.
Looks like the temporary work visa route via a truck driving job offer in Canterbury region is your only option for the time being.

You can score a temporary work visa with a job offer not on the skills list but the process is more difficult for you and for the employer. More hoops to jump through.

There are other options - e.g. visitor visas or WHV (working holiday visas) but with you wanting to ship dogs with you that kind of rules them out.

We always wanted to live elsewhere. We didn't like the way the UK was going. We didn't agree with the influx of so many immigrants on benefits etc plus a lot more issues besides. Too many people, too much traffic, crap weather etc.
Just wanted to live somewhere with a better climate, good outdoors, good beaches, less people, less traffic, much safer as in regards serious crime, less politically correct....and NZ has all this. Tauranga is awesome and after 5 years renting we have now bought our own lifestyle block and built our own house so are settling in well.
Thank you so much, that is unbelievably helpful! As we're planning this for a few years away yet we have some time to work out the best visa route and make any amendments we can whilst here to our careers that may help with visas.

Is there anybody/company we can speak to who can advise? Or did you just purely do it yourself? Sorry, I am totally inexperienced in this field!! :eek: If there is some kind of company we can speak to and advise us it may give us a better idea of our options.

Your reasons for moving are completely our reasons for wanting to move. We've thought about America, Australia, and New Zealand but out of the 3 New Zealand seems to be the most appealing to us as its exactly the kind of lifestyle we want - We're planning a holiday there hopefully end of next year so with any luck we can have a good look around and see what we think from a moving prospective.

At the end of the day, we don't like living here and it boils down to the pure fact of if we don't like living here now then do we really want to stay here for the rest of our lives and regret not trying something new?!

Our friends that are visiting in a few weeks time, he is truck driver so hopefully he has some helpful info for my OH, and she moved over there about 7 years ago so again they should have plenty of info for us - It will be easier to pick their brains in person!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I need to ask.... what is a lifestyle block?? lol

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Sorry I need to ask.... what is a lifestyle block?? lol
Basically a lifestyle block is defined as a smallholding or small farm that is maintained without expectation of being a primary source of income. Some are merely to provide some recreational land, and perhaps a few horses for the family's children. Others are managed as working farms for sideline income, or are even run at an ongoing loss as a lifestyle choice by people with the means to do so, functioning more like a country home than a business.
Even though we've only a smidge over an acre - 1.06 to be exact it is considered a lifestyle block as we do have avocado's that we can sell.....pays the rates at least :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
lifestyle blocks are just a small bit of land usually on the edge of town with a house and a bit of land for growing your own trees or just putting a few sheep on the table...nothing special but still room for being more self sufficient

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi,
I am kind a new to this forum and looking for some help. I am thinking to move to NZ.

By profession, I am an Engineer and kind a confuse with qualification accreditation. It is not listed in the list of exempt.

Do I need to apply at NZQA or IPENZ?
Who will assess my experience and what evidence I need to provide to claim the experience points?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Hi,
I am kind a new to this forum and looking for some help. I am thinking to move to NZ.

By profession, I am an Engineer and kind a confuse with qualification accreditation. It is not listed in the list of exempt.

Do I need to apply at NZQA or IPENZ?
Who will assess my experience and what evidence I need to provide to claim the experience points?

Many thanks in advance.
If your qualification is not listed on the exemption document for the country it was awarded you MUST have NZQA assessment before submitting the EOI. You must at least have PAR which is only suitable for the EOI submission and later if you are invited to apply you will also have to have IQA completed. You only need to submit for IPENZ assessment if you are directed to do so by NZQA or Immigration because of an issue between your qualification and experience.
Experience is not assessed by any other separate body in NZ. It will be assessed by immigration at the visa processing stage if you subsequently progress that far. If there is a difference between your qualification and experience you may be asked to approach IPENZ.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If your qualification is not listed on the exemption document for the country it was awarded you MUST have NZQA assessment before submitting the EOI. You must at least have PAR which is only suitable for the EOI submission and later if you are invited to apply you will also have to have IQA completed. You only need to submit for IPENZ assessment if you are directed to do so by NZQA or Immigration because of an issue between your qualification and experience.
Experience is not assessed by any other separate body in NZ. It will be assessed by immigration at the visa processing stage if you subsequently progress that far. If there is a difference between your qualification and experience you may be asked to approach IPENZ.
Hi,
Thanks for the detailed feedback. Appreciate it.
I heard that Nz immigration is not accepting any more EOIs and it is expected to come with some changes on 14th aug'17.
Do you have any indications on what kind changes I can expect and when they are expecting to start accepting the EOI?
Any source/links/forum I can follow to get more understanding on whole visa process?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for the detailed feedback. Appreciate it.
I heard that Nz immigration is not accepting any more EOIs and it is expected to come with some changes on 14th aug'17.
Do you have any indications on what kind changes I can expect and when they are expecting to start accepting the EOI?
Any source/links/forum I can follow to get more understanding on whole visa process?

Thanks.
That is correct. Immigration are currently applying amendments to the points calculation process, training their staff, changing the info on the website etc and as such the EOI selection process has been temporarily suspended.
The new rules should come in to force 14 Aug, however it is likely to be towards the end of Aug when the EOI process starts up again ?
There aren't many changes, however the new rules have been streamlined to target a more specific clientele than previously.
The proposed rule changes can be viewed on the INZ website although they aren't crystal clear yet. If you look in the Immigration Sharing Ideas area of the forum there is a sticky thread with links to the information.
All the info you need on a specific visa is contained within the Immigration website. There are links within to assist with eligibility requirements and how you start the process. Something else to also look at is Immigrations Operations Manual which can be viewed online. This is the case officers bible and they must follow it to the letter. Google is your friend.

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
My firend is planning to work as an expat in New Zealand. So do you have any idea which part/city of New Zealand is more suitable for expats?
It all depends on your friends occupation and experience.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts