Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to this group today. My husband and I have decided to move abroad due to the fact we will be receiving some extra money soon and we are looking to the future and hoping to start a better life for our 3 children and ourselves. Our children are presently in a good school here and we would like to make sure that wherever we move that they will firstly be happy and secondly be receiving an excellent education. We don't want to go too far from family that we have here so Australia, Canada is out of the question, so we are thinking of Spain, possibly Cyprus even.

Has anyone got a happy story that involves taking their children away from their schools and friends as this is what is worrying me - I want to give them a happy life and not be selfish about wanting to move as they are happy where we are, it's us the parents that want away from where we live and I don't want them to suffer in any way.

We are def decided that we are moving out of the country but we are very anxious and want to make sure we do things properly. Any suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Maxine x

·
Registered
19,449 Posts
Hello all,

I am new to this group today. My husband and I have decided to move abroad due to the fact we will be receiving some extra money soon and we are looking to the future and hoping to start a better life for our 3 children and ourselves. Our children are presently in a good school here and we would like to make sure that wherever we move that they will firstly be happy and secondly be receiving an excellent education. We don't want to go too far from family that we have here so Australia, Canada is out of the question, so we are thinking of Spain, possibly Cyprus even.

Has anyone got a happy story that involves taking their children away from their schools and friends as this is what is worrying me - I want to give them a happy life and not be selfish about wanting to move as they are happy where we are, it's us the parents that want away from where we live and I don't want them to suffer in any way.

We are def decided that we are moving out of the country but we are very anxious and want to make sure we do things properly. Any suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Maxine x
What age are the children?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hi. They are 8, 5 and 1, all girls
Hi Maxine

My kids were 4 and 8 when we made the move 12 years ago

they went into Spanish state school , it was heart breaking at first as there were no other English kids they could speak to , and none of the teachers had much English either .

Any way they are fine now , with only Spanish friends ( including boy and girl friends )

they are truly bilingual and have no English accent.

But remember id you move to the valencia region , Valencian language will also be taught in School , which caught us by surprise.

But all in all Spain is a great place for kids to grow up !!!

Cheers Tony Agost Alicante:)

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Hi Maxine

My kids were 4 and 8 when we made the move 12 years ago

they went into Spanish state school , it was heart breaking at first as there were no other English kids they could speak to , and none of the teachers had much English either .

Any way they are fine now , with only Spanish friends ( including boy and girl friends )

they are truly bilingual and have no English accent.

But remember id you move to the valencia region , Valencian language will also be taught in School , which caught us by surprise.

But all in all Spain is a great place for kids to grow up !!!

Cheers Tony Agost Alicante:)
I concur with the above.

Our children were 9, and twins of 7 when we moved 9 years ago. They all now speak Spanish, Valencian and English fluently.

Our eldest only had 1 year in primary before going on to ESO (secondary school) - for some reason they put him in a year ahead of where he was in UK - as it turned out, it was not a problem.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks,
Maxine x
Please be aware that you will have to show that you have means to support all of you and have health-care cover. You will be required within 90 days of arrival to register on the foreigners' list and show that you have an income going into a Spanish bank of 600/650€ per person per month (or capital of 60k per person, also in a Spanish bank account) plus you have to show that you have coverage for health care (at least for the first 12 months, after which you may be able to buy into the Spanish health service).

I'm not trying to be negative, but it is better that you know right from the start before making lots of plans. You may be faced with similar requirements in other countries.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Our son is now 5 and attending Spanish state school. We live in the campo above Torrox Pueblo. He loves the school and has made many friends - Spanish, Italian, English, Romanian and Sudanese - and his teachers, who speak no one work of English, adore him. He is fluent in Spanish and, of course, English and is also learning German. We arrived in Spain when he was 5 months old. His current project is to teach his class teacher English which she finds very funny...

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
(or capital of 60k per person, also in a Spanish bank account)
60k per person??? Who has that kind of money? Down our end it is €6k for the family or, as you said, €600 per month per person. Some folk we know who recently applied for residency, received it no problem and were not asked to provide financial proof nor healthcare proof. I think they might have gone on a Thursday....

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
Please be aware that you will have to show that you have means to support all of you and have health-care cover. You will be required within 90 days of arrival to register on the foreigners' list and show that you have an income going into a Spanish bank of 600/650€ per person per month (or capital of 60k per person, also in a Spanish bank account)
Just one small but important point - shouldn't that read capital of 6K per person, not 60?

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Thrax and Lynn, maybe you are right. I've never had much to do with rich people so normally think on the lines of the monthly income, but the OP says they are newly wealthy and in view of the employment situation, capital may be their only way of meeting the requirements without doing the money-shuffling fiddle.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
60k per person??? Who has that kind of money? Down our end it is €6k for the family or, as you said, €600 per month per person. Some folk we know who recently applied for residency, received it no problem and were not asked to provide financial proof nor healthcare proof. I think they might have gone on a Thursday....[/QUOTE

Retired people with life savings or investments, perhaps??? People who own several properties? There seems sometimes to be an assumption that everyone who comes to Spain must be just about getting by. Not true.

It is true that unlike other parts of the world, Spain doesn't attract so many HNWIs although there are a few about in Marbella and Soto Grande.

I'm not rich as the term is generally applied but after decades of work and saving I'm certainly not poor and sometimes I get a feeling that unless you can boast of how well you can live on how little you have some kind of moral defect.
We have no property, no assets other than goods and chattels and savings so we are probably in gross capital terms poorer than people who own houses here. But we do have our savings invested and intend to spend the lot before we die. We didn't work for a total of almost ninety years between us to live on bread and scrape and be proud of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for your advice. I think we will be okay on the money side of things (maybe not 60K per person tho...lol!) it's the schools im worried about most. Haven't slept a wink last night, will be researching all day now x

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thanks everyone for your advice. I think we will be okay on the money side of things (maybe not 60K per person tho...lol!) it's the schools im worried about most. Haven't slept a wink last night, will be researching all day now x
Hi Maxine

Yes it is a worry but your kids are young enough to adapt .

If its any consolation when I ask my kids where they prefer its Spain every time !

In my opinion kids seem much nicer here in Spain , some times in the Uk a group of teenagers can seen quite threatening , and the same drink culture dosnt seem to exist here ( for example you can buy beer at Mc domalds here but I have never seen any drunkenness , If Mc Donalds sold beer in the Uk I think you would see plenty of drunken binge drinking youths !

only my opinion though :)

Cheers Tony

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Hi Maxine

Yes it is a worry but your kids are young enough to adapt .

If its any consolation when I ask my kids where they prefer its Spain every time !

In my opinion kids seem much nicer here in Spain , some times in the Uk a group of teenagers can seen quite threatening , and the same drink culture dosnt seem to exist here ( for example you can buy beer at Mc domalds here but I have never seen any drunkenness , If Mc Donalds sold beer in the Uk I think you would see plenty of drunken binge drinking youths !

only my opinion though :)

Cheers Tony
Having a few teenage relatives and two Grandchildren I think that's a bit unfair to generalise. Have you never heard of the botellones? Or perhaps they don't happen in your area. Spain has a huge drug problem amongst the youth but I wouldn't post that they are all off their heads hanging around the streets.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Having a few teenage relatives and two Grandchildren I think that's a bit unfair to generalise. Have you never heard of the botellones? Or perhaps they don't happen in your area. Spain has a huge drug problem amongst the youth but I wouldn't post that they are all off their heads hanging around the streets.
Yes I agree there are good and bad every where , didnt mean to offend

Its just my opinion biased on what I have seen and experienced in the Uk

but I did live in London ! then Romford Essex

I have never felt the need to cross the road here to avoid a group of youths , and the odd ones that I have seen , off their heads on weed seem very happy and chilled not aggressive :)

Cheers Tony

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
As far as behavioural problems are concerned, much depends on where you move to. We live in an inland village (pop. 5,000) and the children, of all ages, seem to be very well behaved and respectful, always answering when they are spoken to. Crime is negligible and children can be out quite late and be safe, I have, even encountered a 6-year old walking home alone from her grandparent's at ten o'clock at night when I have been walking the dogs - it may appear that she is unattended but everyone keeps an eye open for everyone else. There are no stories of an elderly person lying dead for weeks without anybody noticing.

I have only encountered one piece of graffiti. They are brought up to respect both other people and their property. We had a small problem a couple of years ago but they were expats and their children, but they've gone back to where they came from. Here there is plenty to keep children occupied when they are not at school - football, judo, karate, art classes, music classes, we have two bands, chess club and much more. There are lots of private classes as well, because it is recognised that, in order to get on, the chances of finding employment will rest outside the village and possibly in another country (France, Germany, Switzerland, UK, etc.) so proficiency (B1 or B2) in another language is going to be important as are good levels in other academic subjects, e.g. maths.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Depends where you live in any country. Lots of graffiti in Malaga and around the CDS. In Spanish too so it isn't the Brits:D Lots in the UK but none where I live. Even the pretty wooden bus shelters are spotless but get close to cities and there is plenty. I don't think you can blame teenage drinking on the lack of things to do in UK. Our neighbour is like an unpaid chauffeur ferrying her kids around to various activities. Just some anti social kids who prefer to hang around and do nothing in inner cities.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts