Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello im a single mum whos looking at moving to spain! I start a tesol course in january so i can possibly work in a school over there!? anyways i was wondering how do-able this is if your a single mum? ,my child just turned a 1yr 2wks ago and we dont have anything over here!

I have been looking at rentals which are long-term starting from £170 per month. Is there any work over there and if so would i be able to get enough for rent and childcare?? Is there any markets or anything i can rent stalls from to start with> as this is what im doing at present! I sell like make-up costume jewellery prams and handbags etc here so i could start with the stock i have!

I have been teaching my son spanish since the day he was born through nursery ryhme cds etc and want to do this before hes older as if we go in between now and next 2 yrs it wont be a big change for him as hes still really young! But i need and want as far out off Glasgow as possible! the sooner the better (i know its not going to be easy )

Its not something im taking lightly, my childs father done a runner when i were pregnant and i dont have any family cept my mum and 2 nephews but they are quite happy with the fact they can come visit when i go! I am only 27 but really really want a different life for my son! and obviously if things dont work out i can always come back! anyway thanks for reading this :confused:

·
Administrator
36,756 Posts
Hello im a single mum whos looking at moving to spain! I start a tesol course in january so i can possibly work in a school over there!? anyways i was wondering how do-able this is if your a single mum? ,my child just turned a 1yr 2wks ago and we dont have anything over here!

I have been looking at rentals which are long-term starting from £170 per month. Is there any work over there and if so would i be able to get enough for rent and childcare?? Is there any markets or anything i can rent stalls from to start with> as this is what im doing at present! I sell like make-up costume jewellery prams and handbags etc here so i could start with the stock i have!

I have been teaching my son spanish since the day he was born through nursery ryhme cds etc and want to do this before hes older as if we go in between now and next 2 yrs it wont be a big change for him as hes still really young! But i need and want as far out off Glasgow as possible! the sooner the better (i know its not going to be easy )

Its not something im taking lightly, my childs father done a runner when i were pregnant and i dont have any family cept my mum and 2 nephews but they are quite happy with the fact they can come visit when i go! I am only 27 but really really want a different life for my son! and obviously if things dont work out i can always come back! anyway thanks for reading this :confused:
Hi & welcome

I can absolutely understand why you want to do what you do - after all many of us here on the forum have moved here for a 'better life'

it's fantastic that you are already teaching your son Spanish - & great that you are doing the Tesol course

you might be able to get a job in a language academy with that & in normal circumstances I might even say 'go for it' '

you would be highly unlikely to get a job in a state school though

but right now Spain is in a much deeper recession than the UK - around 20% unemployment- there is also no real government support if all goes wrong

you do say that you want to come within the next 2 years - that IMO is the best plan - give it a couple of years

in that time the recession might have eased - your son will be old enough for free state school in most areas (giving you more freedom to work), and you will both be speaking more Spanish

also save as much as you can - in the 'good times' it used to be recommended that you need at least 6 months worth of cash behind you

in the meantime, please feel free to keep coming back & asking questions:)

·
Registered
19,449 Posts
Hi,
Good to see someone who's willing to do a bit of planning before coming over!
There's always some TEFL teaching going somewhere, but it's difficult to make a living out of it. If you're young, single with no responsibilities (you nearly made it!) you're OK. If you've got to support someone else, it's a strain. And what xabiachica says about unemployment in Spain is true.
However, in 2 years you can learn some Spanish and you'll hopefully have some teaching experience. Although it's a good idea to expose your son to Spanish, I wouldn't worry about him picking up the language. Small children usually learn how to communicate very quickly. However it would be great if you could learn as much as possible. Don't expect miracles. You won't reach fluency for years, but anything you learn before you come will be an advantage over all those brits who can just about ask for a beer in Spanish.
Look at the teaching English sticky at the top of the page.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hola

Where you thinking of moving to? I live in place called Moraira which has a great school for youngsters plus a great community.

G

·
Erm, does anyone have prices on childcare? That's the one thing that really concerns me... Working in your own shop, it'd be "easy" enough to have the little one there with you but if you get into teaching, I'm not so sure.

In the region where I work, many state-schools offer care/class for children from 2 years and up, with a few offering from 0-2 years. However, it's fairly difficult to get a spot and I'm not sure if this is available where you're looking to move.

You seem pretty ambitious, and that's very important. The situation for young folks (we're "young" here until we hit +/- 35!!!!!) is pretty dire right now, with unemployment running much higher than the official Spain-wide figures. Once you get here, THROW yourself into Spanish to get a leg up on your competition. If you've got a university degree, there's a program in which you can work in Spanish state schools BUT they can send you pretty much anywhere in Spain, and you're only working from October to the end of May.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Think VERY carefully about this. There are over four million unemployed in Spain. There are very many people teaching English, many of them graduates.
You say you can find long-term rentals for £175 amonth....to which I can only reply 'Beware'.
You have a young son and you need decent accomodation, not some run-down slum. I have heard of rents of 300 euros a month excluding utilities - add another 150 euros a month - but in areas which may not appeal to you.
An example of 'realistic' rent levels in this part of the Costa Del Sol: around 500 euros per month excluding utilities in a perhaps not very attractive urb.
Of course there are cheap rents but there's always a reason for this.
Wage levels here are lower than in the UK and the cost of living not really that much lower.
I seem to be the voice of doom but I am reflecting reality as I see it. I know of several people, no dependents, professional people, whose businesses have failed or who have lost their jobs or seen their hours and wages reduced. They are all returning to the UK - that is, when they can find buyers for their properties.
Why not come on a fact-finding trip before you make any decision?.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All these replys are brilliant thanks!

I have to rephrase my better life statement! Im under no illusions what the situation is over there and most of the worlds in a recession! What i meant by better life is a different 1, I cant have my son growing up with all thats here! i had no choice as a child i had to take what was here (its not even the area to be honest) its a family thing. I have worked hard to NOT be like my so called family and really want my child away from all that bring you down! the only downside of that is my mum and my nephews which i will miss but i can see them so no big deal.

I am not really looking at anywere in particular, i was looking at properties last night on a site called think spain? they had loads of "long term rentals" although to be honest i actually tink most looked more like holiday homes! but werent to pricey either!

Yeah i am trying to get into a spanish course here but im quite suprised how much im picking up just listening to my sons rhymes cd!

If i maybe found premises for a shop do you think theres much call for the likes of the stuff i have? i do normally sell at a market i ended up with this as my job when my job went out the window (yes this recession) Its took me ages but i now have a not bad amount of stock etc as yes i actually started off with nothing! I used my what was left in my savings 1 day to buy these goods and obviously the rest was from there!

·
Administrator
36,756 Posts
All these replys are brilliant thanks!

I have to rephrase my better life statement! Im under no illusions what the situation is over there and most of the worlds in a recession! What i meant by better life is a different 1, I cant have my son growing up with all thats here! i had no choice as a child i had to take what was here (its not even the area to be honest) its a family thing. I have worked hard to NOT be like my so called family and really want my child away from all that bring you down! the only downside of that is my mum and my nephews which i will miss but i can see them so no big deal.

I am not really looking at anywere in particular, i was looking at properties last night on a site called think spain? they had loads of "long term rentals" although to be honest i actually tink most looked more like holiday homes! but werent to pricey either!

Yeah i am trying to get into a spanish course here but im quite suprised how much im picking up just listening to my sons rhymes cd!

If i maybe found premises for a shop do you think theres much call for the likes of the stuff i have? i do normally sell at a market i ended up with this as my job when my job went out the window (yes this recession) Its took me ages but i now have a not bad amount of stock etc as yes i actually started off with nothing! I used my what was left in my savings 1 day to buy these goods and obviously the rest was from there!

have a look at these sites - they are in Spanish but it's good practice!!

on both you can put in any area & they are sites used by the Spanish so the rents are usually pretty realistic

bear in mind that if you find things on any English language site it is likely to be run by a brit with brit clients who sadly frequently expect a brit to pay more!!

idealista.com — casas y pisos, alquiler y venta. anuncios gratis

Pisos en alquiler en toda España, pisos Madrid y Barcelona - Enalquiler.com

the sort of stuff you are selling will always sell - but you'd be in competition with the chinese bazaars (we have about a dozen in our town!) who sell stuff pretty cheaply - and it's not ALL rubbish;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ohh fantastic gracias muchio i will have a wee look, im soo glad i came across this forum! Yeah theres alot of competition here for what i sell but its no been easy although im getting there now! on the plus side i think its been easier to sell as its all good brands which helps! Im away to look at they sites!

I was thinking as sum they properties i was lookin at last night were from 3-qqmonths rentals that i could maybe come over for 3-4months just kind of have a feel of a town see if my boy was ok etc?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I sell Prams but i dont do that at the market i do this online! Apart from them I sell Make-up, costume jewellery, handbags, gift bags etc. Nothing to flash! Its something i have only been doing for 6 months! although i am shocked at how well ive done so fast! like i sadi though its all branded names stuff and it sell well due to the price i can actually sell it for! :D

·
Registered
572 Posts
My friends have a fully furnished 2 bed house up for rent for 200 euros a month + bills, but it is not on the coast. I doubt you will get anything decent on the coast for that amount of money. I think you are going to struggle financially over here. The nursery near us charges about 35 euros a week, and spanish state schools are free, but you have to buy books etc. I am not sure about all areas but if you are a Spanish resident with children our council guarentees you 3 months work a year, I think the pay is about 600 euros a month. Things are now getting very expensive over here, so I think you need to bring some savings with you. Maybe you could look for a room in a shared house, but you need to be very careful. I know a lot of people that will take in lodgers, but again they are not on the coast.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
where abouts is their apartment? Its not necessarily the coast i want, I want some where where my boy will live in their lifstyle and not a British 1! I havent been to spain much but found some places are like little britain so me and my mum would travel miles to get into the spanish! so a bit of both basically! I want out of here and theres no point going to england if im going im going all full hog! I have been trying to research but like xabiachica quotes its mostly brits web pages that you find so sometimes its just rubbish on their sites!

I must stress though im not trying to move on a whim! Its something i thought long and hard about! when my job (company went bust) fell from my hands i was like god! I cant live on benefits!! so then i made my own luck! i used what little money i had at the time and i invested it in products to sell now i have sold this stuff and so much more since and what i done was a gamble as i could have done this and lost my money as the good maybe not have sold! but i had to try! I tried and won! Im not greedy though all i want is to provide for my son!

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Where you thinking of moving to? I live in place called Moraira which has a great school for youngsters plus a great community.
Well well well! That brings back memories, my Father Ted, used to live in El Portet, what a pretty part of the world it was,

Hepa

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Tesscam,

All I can say is that you are a very brave person!

I believe you will succeed, Go for it and the best of luck,

Hepa

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tesscam,

All I can say is that you are a very brave person!

I believe you will succeed, Go for it and the best of luck,

Hepa
Aww thanks!!

Guts and more than anything determination and loads of hard work! but ive had a bity bad life and want better for my son so i will succeed and if he dont settle there or me for that matter i can always return!

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
i looked up el poret but now im going to look up were u are! how long have you been there?
On and off since 1995, rented at first, then bought an old place in 2001 and have almost completed the refurbishment. We sold up in England last year and are here on a permanent basis, retired of course.

We are two of the three residents from the U.K. so no Ex pat groups here!!

Look at the web page below, there are photos of the best kept secret in the whole of Spain,

Hepa

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.