Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

My family and I are on british passports and have a lot of close family in the Edinburgh/Scottish Borders area. We have visited many times and love it there but seem to be unable to take the final step to move over. I would like to list my concerns and questions and if anyone is able to relate and to give me some advice as to how much of an issue these things really are :
1. the weather - I have never touched snow so not sure how I will cope?
2. what do I do with my active sporty kids in winter?
3. is it true the kids are prone to drug abuse due to boredom?
4. cost of living - I would like to give up my pressurised Exec job for a more balanced lifestyle so would ideally like to work part time, where can I find the cost of living?
5. is it better for the children to live in the borders or Edinburgh?
6. are state schools there comparable to private schools here?

Thank you very much

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Hi there

My family and I are on british passports and have a lot of close family in the Edinburgh/Scottish Borders area. We have visited many times and love it there but seem to be unable to take the final step to move over. I would like to list my concerns and questions and if anyone is able to relate and to give me some advice as to how much of an issue these things really are :
1. the weather - I have never touched snow so not sure how I will cope?
2. what do I do with my active sporty kids in winter?
3. is it true the kids are prone to drug abuse due to boredom?
4. cost of living - I would like to give up my pressurised Exec job for a more balanced lifestyle so would ideally like to work part time, where can I find the cost of living?
5. is it better for the children to live in the borders or Edinburgh?
6. are state schools there comparable to private schools here?

Thank you very much
1and 2 The weather: humans adapt so easily, I am sure you will soon become used to the cold and the shorter days of winter and there are lots of winter sports to partake during the winter time.
3. Drug abuse is a world wide problem, if your children are used to entertaining themselves and not dependant on outside stimulation, there should be no concern about drug abuse.
4. It is cheaper to live in Scotland than in England, not sure what type of work you are doing, but make sure you have a job before you move ! Check Sainsbury's, Tesco , Morrisons or Asda online for grocery prices, there are different gas, water and electricity suppliers, use British gas as a guideline for electricity and gas.
5 and 6 ... where you live may depend on the type of school, do an online search... what are the opinions of your relatives in Scotland?
I personally love Scotland and am sure you will find the correct schools, house etc !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much, I suppose the best thing is just to decide to do it. I think we are currently in a state of over analysis paralysis :)

Will start doing my homework!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Thank you so much, I suppose the best thing is just to decide to do it. I think we are currently in a state of over analysis paralysis :)

Will start doing my homework!
Talon, what about doing a six to nine month reccie, or will that not be possible?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.