Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner is a dual citizen by descent but has never lived in Canada. He has been offered a job over there and our plan is to stay with his dad in ab until we have enough to get a house. We are not submitting mine and our 2 year old sons immigration application until we are there as we aren't sure of we want to move over permenantly. We are hoping that we get a nice officer who will let us stay 6 months. A couple of questions: 1. Is there anything my partner needs to do aside from getting a social security number and changing his driving licence over? 2. Is it better for us to get return flights? Im so terrified were going to get refused entry!

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
It's unlikely you and son will be refused admittance. Just tell the IO what is your plan and he/she will understand. Do not lie to him/her.
1) there is nothing else he needs to do
2) one-way flights should suffice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I have read so many different things about officers and their questions it's just got me panicked, we are leaving next month so it's panic central!

·
Registered
713 Posts
It's unlikely you and son will be refused admittance. Just tell the IO what is your plan and he/she will understand. Do not lie to him/her.
1) there is nothing else he needs to do
2) one-way flights should suffice.
Without valid onward travel or proof of ongoing status in Canada you will likely not even be allowed to board the plane.There have been significant financial implications in the form of hefty fines for airlines allowing passengers to travel without meeting these requirements.

(My wife is a TICO certified travel agent specializing in visitors/travel visas.)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Without valid onward travel or proof of ongoing status in Canada you will likely not even be allowed to board the plane.There have been significant financial implications in the form of hefty fines for airlines allowing passengers to travel without meeting these requirements.

(My wife is a TICO certified travel agent specializing in visitors/travel visas.)
Does this apply to people from visa-exempt countries too? I'm hoping to go over to wait out the PR decision with my husband and had intended to go on a one-way ticket with proof of funds for a return ticket if needed.

·
Registered
183 Posts

88 needs to clarify if he or she is visa exempt before we can accurately comment on boarding privileges. If exempt, no guarantee will be permitted to stay in Canada, and definitely bring as much documentation as possible showing ties to home country. Let us know how it goes!

Sometimes in this case you would not qualify for visitor permission, as you don't exactly look like a tourist.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.