Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are moving to Lyon for work, which could last from 2 to 6 years. We are also selling our current house in the US and will not have a place to store furniture and belongings. The company will arrange the move or pay a lump sum. Because we don't know how long we will live in France, we can't decide whether to move everything and store it in France, or whether to move some things and store the rest somewhere in the US (wherever we think we may return). Does anyone have a similar experience? (Or knowledge about storing things in France?) Thanks!

·
Administrator
51,630 Posts
Be careful whatever you do. Normally, there's a limit of one year for importing your household goods into France without incurring VAT and customs charges.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Bev,

That's really good to know. Sounds like it may make more sense to move everything and look for an unfurnished place.

·
Administrator
51,630 Posts
One caveat on moving "all your stuff" over - houses and homes in general in France are considerably smaller than in the US. It can be difficult (and very frustrating) to try and find a place to live that will take an entire household full of US furniture and other "stuff."

Before moving everything over, do a thorough weeding out of large pieces or appliances and the like that won't be usable in France. You can sell off or store the bits you decide not to ship, but it makes little sense to ship them over, store them in France and then ship them back later. (It's difficult to get rid of large, American furniture and appliances over here.)

Best examples: US fridge freezers are just too large for most French kitchens, although you're starting to see a few "US style" refrigerators here in the stores. And just search the forum here for several discussions about US vs. European washers and dryers. (European washing machines generally connect only to the cold water outlet because they heat their own water in the machine.)

Furniture is much the same. I've heard that IKEA had to redesign much of their furniture for their US stores because it was "too small" for the US market.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
We are moving to Lyon for work, which could last from 2 to 6 years. We are also selling our current house in the US and will not have a place to store furniture and belongings. The company will arrange the move or pay a lump sum. Because we don't know how long we will live in France, we can't decide whether to move everything and store it in France, or whether to move some things and store the rest somewhere in the US (wherever we think we may return). Does anyone have a similar experience? (Or knowledge about storing things in France?) Thanks!
If you have the choice store in the US - the rates are considerably cheaper than France - and I totally agree with everything Bev said about house sizes etc.

Given the choice I'd move to the chosen area, rent furnished, find the house you want then ship what you need.

Also, given the US housing market I'm not sure I would sell, renting out makes more long-term sense FWIW

Cheers

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have the choice store in the US - the rates are considerably cheaper than France - and I totally agree with everything Bev said about house sizes etc.

Given the choice I'd move to the chosen area, rent furnished, find the house you want then ship what you need.

Also, given the US housing market I'm not sure I would sell, renting out makes more long-term sense FWIW

Cheers
Thanks -- I think we're deciding to ship our smaller furniture and store our family "heirloom" antiques and larger furniture in the US. If we end up moving permanently, we can ship then and pay the fees (or distribute the stuff to our kids!). Although I appreciate the advice about selling vs. renting, we're definitely selling this house .. we've only been in the mid-west for 1.5 years and thrilled that France is saving us from living here any longer. (Sorry to any of you mid-westerners.) No way we'd come back here.

Cheers!
Leslie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.