Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am Australian and have spent 3 months in Paris. I left Paris on 25th Sept 2013 and was under the impression I need to be out of the EU for 90 days before re-entry into the EU again. I have calculated that 90 days will fall on 24th December 2013. Can anyone provide me with some advice on whether you can re enter days prior to the 90 days or are customs quite strict with this?!

I need clarification and would like to hear from anyone who has had any experience with this?!

Merci

·
Administrator
50,441 Posts
To be perfectly honest about it, I have no idea how they are enforcing the "90 days in 180" part of the Schengen rules these days. I have noticed that they scan your passport on entry - but where this information goes and how it is used, I just don't know.

Normally, before all this scanning came about, they just stamped your passport to indicate you date of arrival and date of departure. On entry, they didn't seem to worry about what was stamped in your passport. But where it could come back to bite you is if you attempt to apply for anything where you need to show your legal presence in France. Then, they go back and quite carefully match up the entry and exit stamps.

I haven't heard of anyone being refused entry to France due to Schengen related issues like this. But perhaps one of our members has more information about this.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
737 Posts
as I know from friends who visit regularly france on schengen visas it is up to the man on the spot , and when they have overstayed a little they have never had more than a slight rap on the knuckles

you say you left paris on a certain date ...do you mean you left the schengen area on that date and have an exit stamp ? if so I find it hard to believe that you would be refused entry because you are a couple of days early , immigration officials don't have enough fingers to work out exactly where 180 days would fall !

btw , you don't have to have left the EU at all , just the schengen area ...where will you be entering from next time ?

also when will the 180 days have expired from when you last entered ...could be you would still be within that , if not you will be entitled to a new visa from whenever that expired

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify, I meant to write the Schengan area, not the EU.

Basically, I entered france on 25th June and departed on 25th September. In counting 180 days from when I first entered, it will be 30th Dec, however I want to be there for Christmas. I will be flying from Australia to Paris via Singapore and hoping to arrive between 20-24th Dec. I am just worried that they will refuse entry but in entering France at CDG, they seem pretty laid back and just stamp you on entry. I have heard stories of issues when overstaying but not issues while entering. I guess to be on the safe side, I'll just arrive a as close as the 180 day.

Thanks for your replies, I feel a tad less anxious!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify, I meant to write the Schengan area, not the EU.

Basically, I entered france on 25th June and departed on 25th September. In counting 180 days from when I first entered, it will be 30th Dec, however I want to be there for Christmas. I will be flying from Australia to Paris via Singapore and hoping to arrive between 20-24th Dec. I am just worried that they will refuse entry but in entering France at CDG, they seem pretty laid back and just stamp you on entry. I have heard stories of issues when overstaying but not issues while entering. I guess to be on the safe side, I'll just arrive a as close as the 180 day.

Thanks for your replies, I feel a tad less anxious!
well, obviously I use a different arithmetic to you ; as far as I can see your schengen visa expires on the 21st december so you are entitled to a new one from then !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.