Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My husband has been looking for a job in Oz for a few weeks now as we're hoping to get sponsored and move asap.

He works as a senior structural engineer in the Oil & Gas industry. He's not chartered yet but has 17 years experience in the industry. Unfortunately, he has had several companies turn him down because he is not chartered or does not have a degree.

Can anyone offer any advice on this???

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Greenshields,
I am an engineer by profession and have been through the skilled migration process for Australia. I am not familiar with what being "chartered" means. But I do have an engineering degree. It looks like maybe Australia is similar to the US in that in the last 10 years or so, any new employees that will have a "xxx engineer" job title will require an engineering degree. Current employees who don't and have worked for years doing engineering work and have a job title "xxx engineer" will be grandfathered in. However, applying and wanting to move to a new company, that same person might find some difficulty without that engineering degree even though they have so many years of doing the same job as an engineer. It all depends on the company what their degree requirements are. But it also may have to do with potential lawsuits companies may get and the the lawyer of the person suing will try to find any information from the company to win the lawsuit. One of those things could be that the person doesn't even have an engineering degree. Other examples are like people giving medical advice or doing surgery and they don't have the proper credentials like a nursing or medical degree.

What I explained above doesn't help your husband at this moment. But I just wanted to give you an explanation of why the companies he had spoken to may have turned him down.

My only suggestion would be for your husband to review the Engineers Australia website to learn how to get "chartered". I believe there is a contact information in the website if he has specific questions,etc.

Chartered Status | Engineers Australia

Did your husband personally interview with these companies and told directly the reasons you stated above? Or they just notified him in an email or phone call why they can't consider him? I'm just wondering since I've read on this forum about people being interviewed for a job. Then later telling that person they have no local experience. A waste of time for the applicant considering the resume would show he didn't have that Australian local experience.

Lastly, in order for a company to sponsor an applicant, the applicant has to meet certain requirements. That of course would include the skilled work experience. But then may require being chartered or the university degree.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.