Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Forum,

My very first post here.

I am an US citizen on an indefinite leave to remain visa in the UK, which I got through my civil partner. I currently qualify for British citizenship.

I am thinking of applying for British citizenship, but am unsure that if I do get British citizenship, will I have to renounce my US citizenship. Can I still retain my US citizenship? I guess in short, can I hold dual US and UK citizenships?

Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ashish

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Dear Forum,

My very first post here.

I am an US citizen on an indefinite leave to remain visa in the UK, which I got through my civil partner. I currently qualify for British citizenship.

I am thinking of applying for British citizenship, but am unsure that if I do get British citizenship, will I have to renounce my US citizenship. Can I still retain my US citizenship? I guess in short, can I hold dual US and UK citizenships?

Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ashish
I hold both without problem

US perspective here: Dual Citizenship FAQ
There's no great UK perspective on it I've ever found.

·
Administrator
51,318 Posts
Same here - dual citizenship, only with France instead of the UK. There are several big advantages, the major one being that you have an EU nationality should you want to strike out on your own elsewhere in Europe. Another is that you get to vote in elections that may actually affect you.

It is also rather difficult these days to renounce your US nationality - if they suspect you are doing so "for tax reasons" (i.e. to get out of having to file US taxes the rest of your life), there are a number of awkward penalties they can hit you with - though I have yet to hear of anyone being so "blessed."

Just don't neglect to file your US tax returns each year and make sure to use your US passport when entering the US.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have dual citizenship with the UK and US. I am a naturalized American citizen and my parents were both born in England. My mother applied to become an American citizen after we were all naturalized. But we all lived in the U.S.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.