Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently came to a verbal agreement for a job in Culiacan, Mexico. Before applying, I, of course, knew of its reputation, but did not consider it to be a deal-breaker. Recently however, I have been hearing new information that suggests it might be as dangerous as the reports make it out to be. In speaking with a few people, some Mexican nationals, they have said that no one leaves at night for fear of violence, and that it is not unusual to seem armed gangs outside of shopping centers. To me, this sounds a bit exaggerated, but I would like to avoid signing a contract to spend a year of my life in a city without being sure it would be safe for me.

Is there anyone who lives, has lived, or visited Culiacan recently who can vouch either for its safety or its danger? Absolutely any information you can provide would be much appreciated.

Additionally, my salary is approximately 25,000 American Dollars a year starting. For a single adult, is this sufficient to be comfortable in Culiacan, or am I getting paid barely a living wage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently came to a verbal agreement for a job in Culiacan, Mexico. Before applying, I, of course, knew of its reputation, but did not consider it to be a deal-breaker. Recently however, I have been hearing new information that suggests it might be as dangerous as the reports make it out to be. In speaking with a few people, some Mexican nationals, they have said that no one leaves at night for fear of violence, and that it is not unusual to seem armed gangs outside of shopping centers. To me, this sounds a bit exaggerated, but I would like to avoid signing a contract to spend a year of my life in a city without being sure it would be safe for me.

Is there anyone who lives, has lived, or visited Culiacan recently who can vouch either for its safety or its danger? Absolutely any information you can provide would be much appreciated.

Additionally, my salary is approximately 25,000 American Dollars a year starting. For a single adult, is this sufficient to be comfortable in Culiacan, or am I getting paid barely a living wage.

Well... I asked a Mexican national and she says, yes, it is dangerous. There are a lot of narco traficante there. I live in Cuernavaca, Morelos and was nearby, when a body was found with the head severed. Also there were more bodies found on the freeway and more found a bit further away, hung from the freeway and shot to death. For me, that is the only crazy shtuff that went on. But that is Cuernavaca. If you are comfortable with a tougher city and know how to carry yourself and not to stare and things that might annoy someone less friendly, then... go for it. hehe You would make about 27K $$$ a month, which for 1, is fine. You can rent for around 5K to 8K a month and food is cheap, too. You can pay a maid for a full days work, for about $15O to $2OO pesos a day. They cook, too! And wow.. the food is sooooo good here! If there was a chance to advance in your job and maybe go somewhere else in Mexico... me, I would go for it. And if you speak the language, even better.

Suerte!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you,

I do speak Spanish, and its actually my goal to live and work in a Spanish speaking country. I am not intending to make this a permanent career, but more to simply get my foot in the door for other opportunities that might present themselves after the year contract is up.

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
If you are not 'involved with anything to do with drugs', you will be fine. Just don't hang out in bars, etc. Enjoy your time in Mexico.

·
Banned
74 Posts
I am afraid that RV Gringos advice is dated. At one time his statement was sage but not now. Culiacan is an interestring city. Lots of money from the Agri industries and the support for the Narco traficantes. Want a hummer: They have lots in stock. Want it armorproofed: No problem. Want a huge diamond for your girl: They have it. Many of the streets are dangerous but I doubt you would be in those areas at night. There are drive bys and shoot outs between the police and the gangs. These can be anywhere. We have a Mexican friend whose nephew was living on the outskirts. He returned to Sonoar as he felt it was like living in a prison. In many areas the locals do not go out after dark. Another problem is the kidnappings and car jackings We have visited the city during the day and enjoyed our trip. Good restaurants and the shrine to Jesus Malverede is a must see ( do a google). But I would never consider living in Culiacan or anywhere else in that state. Even Mazatlan!!
Moisheh

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am a Gringa living in Culiacan...

Hi VanVader,

It was interesting for me to stumble upon your post. I just moved to Culiacan a few days ago. Let me start by saying that there don't appear to be any other gringos living here, so I hope I can serve as some source of advice for you, since I was looking for some before I came here and didn't find any.. I looked online and found two girls who had been here teaching English and left because they hated it, and shared horror stories about it...

I came to live with my boyfriend, who is Mexican, and is currently living here for work. He's been living here since January, and to date, hasn't seen any shoot outs or dead bodies or anything like that. I've only been here a few days so I can't give extensive advice, but I would say I probably wouldn't want to live here if I didn't already know someone here. He's great because he can drive me everywhere and accompany me everywhere, which makes me feel safer. I don't know if you are a guy or a girl, but I think it would be more difficult to be a single female living here. The people don't strike me as friendly as in other parts of the country (I've lived and traveled in other cities in Mexico so I speak from experience).

I agree to an extent about what RV ****** says - that if you are not involved with buying, selling, or taking drugs, you wouldn't be a target for violence, which is usually very targeted...the narcos know who they are killing and usually have their own reasons for it. However, one of the girls who taught English told me she had been in a sushi restaurant that got held up by armed robbers....that was the final straw for her.

However, I would say that if you had the option to go to another city, you probably should go somewhere else over Culiacan (that is coming from my boyfriend). I can't give more advice since I haven't been here that long so I haven't seen anything scary....and hopefully I won't....in general it is quite a modern city (the drug money shows - lots of new and modern buildings...stores...etc...which is nice)...but is lacks the colonial charm of a lot of other Mexican cities. I think it might be more difficult to make friends and feel safe going out at night, which is a definite con. But if you don't mind keeping to yourself, staying inside during the evenings, being careful what you do and say when you are out, you would probably be fine. But do you want to live like that? I wouldn't want to long term and hopefully we will only be here for another 6-8 months.

Again, though, from what I've seen so far, it isn't an all out war zone in the streets or anything. To that extent I think the media exaggerates it. But then again, in a moment's notice I could have an experience that changes my point of view. I mostly keep to myself though and work at home and stay inside and only go out with my boyfriend. Not an ideal life, but when we do go out, it's fine, and the restaurants and malls are nice.

If you do come, let me know - it would be nice to have another ******/a friend! I hope this advice helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice everyone. I have decided to take the job. I am not a big partier or night owl, so its not like I will be prowling the streets at night. I figure I will keep my nose clean and do my job. If its too much, its only a year contract.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good luck! I think you will have a fine experience. Let me know if you would like to meet up for coffee or something once you've arrived and gotten settled. :) Suerte!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Culiacan traffic

It's been 5 years since we stayed overnight in Culiacan, on the way south to Mazatlan, (a nice hotel, La Riviera, 480 pesos), and, not to make light of a serious issue like safety/security, we were more intimidated by Culiacan's traffic and lousy road signs than by the narcos that we'd been led to believe are on every street corner.

We've since learned to bypass Culiacan, only because every time we tried going through it, we got lost. Too bad, because it's not an unattractive city.

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
During your stay, be sure to travel and explore other parts of Mexico. We've just returned from a week along the Pacific Coast, north and south of Puerto Vallarta, and had a great time. Tourists were in evidence and a cruise ship made a call while we were in PV. Prices in PV were shocking for those of us who live in other parts of Mexico; it is a tourist destination and they 'get it when they can'.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well believe me, I intend to stick around on here and see Mexico for all its worth. First step on a dream.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello

Contrats on your new job, I myself will be moving there for a while. I'm from TX feel free to reply and see if you ever want to hang out. i dont have friends there at all just my fiance and little girl. good luck once again and be safe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Beinvenidos

I have been living here for 7 months now. I have not had any bad experiences while here. One thing I will mention is be careful when using bank machines. Take care and good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. I have decided to take the job. I am not a big partier or night owl, so its not like I will be prowling the streets at night. I figure I will keep my nose clean and do my job. If its too much, its only a year contract.

Hi..

I am an expat from Canada who has been living here in Mexico for 20 years, and will be visiting schools in Culiacan this school year as an International Sales Rep for a very well known Childrens book distributor.

If it is not too much to ask, what school will you be working at? I would love to visit when I am there.

My e mail is [email protected]

MissEly

·
Registered
8 Posts
some details

Hi VanVader,

It was interesting for me to stumble upon your post. I just moved to Culiacan a few days ago. Let me start by saying that there don't appear to be any other gringos living here, so I hope I can serve as some source of advice for you, since I was looking for some before I came here and didn't find any.. I looked online and found two girls who had been here teaching English and left because they hated it, and shared horror stories about it...

I came to live with my boyfriend, who is Mexican, and is currently living here for work. He's been living here since January, and to date, hasn't seen any shoot outs or dead bodies or anything like that. I've only been here a few days so I can't give extensive advice, but I would say I probably wouldn't want to live here if I didn't already know someone here. He's great because he can drive me everywhere and accompany me everywhere, which makes me feel safer. I don't know if you are a guy or a girl, but I think it would be more difficult to be a single female living here. The people don't strike me as friendly as in other parts of the country (I've lived and traveled in other cities in Mexico so I speak from experience).

I agree to an extent about what RV ****** says - that if you are not involved with buying, selling, or taking drugs, you wouldn't be a target for violence, which is usually very targeted...the narcos know who they are killing and usually have their own reasons for it. However, one of the girls who taught English told me she had been in a sushi restaurant that got held up by armed robbers....that was the final straw for her.

However, I would say that if you had the option to go to another city, you probably should go somewhere else over Culiacan (that is coming from my boyfriend). I can't give more advice since I haven't been here that long so I haven't seen anything scary....and hopefully I won't....in general it is quite a modern city (the drug money shows - lots of new and modern buildings...stores...etc...which is nice)...but is lacks the colonial charm of a lot of other Mexican cities. I think it might be more difficult to make friends and feel safe going out at night, which is a definite con. But if you don't mind keeping to yourself, staying inside during the evenings, being careful what you do and say when you are out, you would probably be fine. But do you want to live like that? I wouldn't want to long term and hopefully we will only be here for another 6-8 months.

Again, though, from what I've seen so far, it isn't an all out war zone in the streets or anything. To that extent I think the media exaggerates it. But then again, in a moment's notice I could have an experience that changes my point of view. I mostly keep to myself though and work at home and stay inside and only go out with my boyfriend. Not an ideal life, but when we do go out, it's fine, and the restaurants and malls are nice.

If you do come, let me know - it would be nice to have another ******/a friend! I hope this advice helps.
Hello,
My name is Cristian, and I might be move to Culiacan from September this year, together with my wife. I will receive a monthly salary of 16.250 mexican pesos, and I want to ask you a few questions:
1-in your opinion this salary is good or a bad deal?
2-please give me some average prices of monthly rent in Cuilacan (a one bedroom apartment in a good and safe zone to live)
3-is it safe to live there?
Thank you in advance, and I will be grateful if you reply me.
Cristian

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Your salary appears to be just about the same minimum level that immigration requires for an expat retiree who wants to live in Mexico. My guess is that you will have to live quite conservatively for two of you to live on that amount.
Your employer will sponsor you for your visa. What about your wife?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello,
My name is Cristian, and I might be move to Culiacan from September this year, together with my wife. I will receive a monthly salary of 16.250 mexican pesos, and I want to ask you a few questions:
1-in your opinion this salary is good or a bad deal?
2-please give me some average prices of monthly rent in Cuilacan (a one bedroom apartment in a good and safe zone to live)
3-is it safe to live there?
Thank you in advance, and I will be grateful if you reply me.
Cristian
Hi Cristian:

Would you be teaching? A monthly salary of 16.250 pesos seems reasonable for a teacher here. Anything here above 10.000 pesos is considered a "good" salary. I think it would be especially fine for a single person, but are you planning to support your wife on this salary as well? You can definitely do it but you might have to live a bit more conservatively.

We rent a one bedroom apartment in the center of town for 3.600 Pesos per month. It's a really nice place and the area if fine. You can find even more luxury apartments for more expensive though, and less nice for less money, but I think the price we pay is reasonable for the place we have. Las Quintas is another nice area but the nicer areas aren't necessarily safer.

It's safe here if you aren't involved in buying, selling, or taking drugs. I don't go out alone at night and kind of keep to myself. I haven't seen anything bad in the two months I've lived here (knock on wood)...but I won't deny that a LOT of violent, bad stuff does take place in the city but the likelihood of you being caught in a gun battle or seeing dead bodies on the street is pretty rare if you aren't involved in narco life in any way.

Let me know if you have any more questions..happy to help. And let me do know if you end up moving here! It would be nice to meet other expats.

·
Registered
8 Posts
thank you

Hi Cristian:

Would you be teaching? A monthly salary of 16.250 pesos seems reasonable for a teacher here. Anything here above 10.000 pesos is considered a "good" salary. I think it would be especially fine for a single person, but are you planning to support your wife on this salary as well? You can definitely do it but you might have to live a bit more conservatively.

We rent a one bedroom apartment in the center of town for 3.600 Pesos per month. It's a really nice place and the area if fine. You can find even more luxury apartments for more expensive though, and less nice for less money, but I think the price we pay is reasonable for the place we have. Las Quintas is another nice area but the nicer areas aren't necessarily safer.

It's safe here if you aren't involved in buying, selling, or taking drugs. I don't go out alone at night and kind of keep to myself. I haven't seen anything bad in the two months I've lived here (knock on wood)...but I won't deny that a LOT of violent, bad stuff does take place in the city but the likelihood of you being caught in a gun battle or seeing dead bodies on the street is pretty rare if you aren't involved in narco life in any way.

Let me know if you have any more questions..happy to help. And let me do know if you end up moving here! It would be nice to meet other expats.
Hello,

I won't be teaching, I will be the second oboe player in the Orquesta Sinfonica Sinaloa de las Artes. My wife have a master degree in English and French languages, she is also a translator, from both of this languages. I am an instrumental artist-oboe player. I guess that the first months we will have to live from my salary but I hope that she will manage to find something suitable for her studies. We ARE NOT involved in any way with drugs and we never plan to get involved in something like that.Please tell me do you think that we will manage to find something suitable for my wife studies (English-French languages/translator)?
Also , tell me about the current expenses there in Culiacan (the current bills, and the daily prices there). Thank you for all, Cristian

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow, that's interesting that you will be playing in the Orchestra. I have no clue if the salary you posted is good or bad for that kind of job!

I would imagine your wife may be able to get a job as an English or French teacher here. She could also think about doing freelance translation from home. I work from home here. I don't see the job market to be terrific here, to be honest..

Expenses are generally low. We pay about 600 pesos a month right now for electricity but we have our air conditioning on ALL the time. If you don't do that, it will be less than half that price. Our rent includes gas and water.

Eating out is pretty cheap here. You can have a really nice meal for two people for 200-300 pesos. You can also get basic weekly groceries for less than 1000 pesos.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Hello,

I won't be teaching, I will be the second oboe player in the Orquesta Sinfonica Sinaloa de las Artes. My wife have a master degree in English and French languages, she is also a translator, from both of this languages. I am an instrumental artist-oboe player. I guess that the first months we will have to live from my salary but I hope that she will manage to find something suitable for her studies. We ARE NOT involved in any way with drugs and we never plan to get involved in something like that.Please tell me do you think that we will manage to find something suitable for my wife studies (English-French languages/translator)?
Also , tell me about the current expenses there in Culiacan (the current bills, and the daily prices there). Thank you for all, Cristian

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, that's interesting that you will be playing in the Orchestra. I have no clue if the salary you posted is good or bad for that kind of job!

I would imagine your wife may be able to get a job as an English or French teacher here. She could also think about doing freelance translation from home. I work from home here. I don't see the job market to be terrific here, to be honest..

Expenses are generally low. We pay about 600 pesos a month right now for electricity but we have our air conditioning on ALL the time. If you don't do that, it will be less than half that price. Our rent includes gas and water.

Eating out is pretty cheap here. You can have a really nice meal for two people for 200-300 pesos. You can also get basic weekly groceries for less than 1000 pesos.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Thank you for all the kindness that you reply to me. Do you feel safe in Culiacan?is it many thieves there? How much it will be a plain ticket from there to Europe? or to USA, or Canada?
Do they have internet there? How much it's cost a home internet? Thank you in advance. Cristian

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.