Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a used car (Audi A3) and have found a few I like online.

I have only been in Spain for a couple of months so I don't have the nerves to attempt a private buy. Instead I have focused on cars from dealers that offer to do the "transferencia" + offer a year's guarantee.

So far so good.

The car I am most interested in is at a dealer 9 hours from where we live. But the dealer replied to my email that if I buy the car, they are happy to deliver it at my door. Sounds good.

So I am planning to drive up there next week to view it.

Now, what if I like it and want to buy it? How does it work? I have googled and found some information but am still a little unsure.

Should I pay then and there? Or ask for an invoice that I will pay via bank transfer later? Can you generally trust car dealers to perform the transferenica and deliver the car? Do I need to do anything except provide the dealer with my NIE-number and some cash? They generally take care of absolutely everything? And what about insurance? I am guessing that has to be sorted before I drive the car, but is there an overlap where the car's existing insurance will cover while I get the new insurance set up?

Would be very happy with some advice from more seasoned expats who have been through it.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
I want to buy a used car (Audi A3) and have found a few I like online.

I have only been in Spain for a couple of months so I don't have the nerves to attempt a private buy. Instead I have focused on cars from dealers that offer to do the "transferencia" + offer a year's guarantee.

So far so good.

The car I am most interested in is at a dealer 9 hours from where we live. But the dealer replied to my email that if I buy the car, they are happy to deliver it at my door. Sounds good.

So I am planning to drive up there next week to view it.

Now, what if I like it and want to buy it? How does it work? I have googled and found some information but am still a little unsure.

Should I pay then and there? Or ask for an invoice that I will pay via bank transfer later? Can you generally trust car dealers to perform the transferenica and deliver the car? Do I need to do anything except provide the dealer with my NIE-number and some cash? They generally take care of absolutely everything? And what about insurance? I am guessing that has to be sorted before I drive the car, but is there an overlap where the car's existing insurance will cover while I get the new insurance set up?

Would be very happy with some advice from more seasoned expats who have been through it.

Thanks,
I bought from a small dealer and he handled the transfer for me. I paid him up front of course, because they arent going to to the transfer unless they know you are serious about the purchase. If it is a genuine audi dealer, then I doubt if they are going to mess you about because then you could of course complain to audi and they would risk their dealership

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
I bought from a small dealer and he handled the transfer for me. I paid him up front of course, because they arent going to to the transfer unless they know you are serious about the purchase. If it is a genuine audi dealer, then I doubt if they are going to mess you about because then you could of course complain to audi and they would risk their dealership
Sorry, I should add that you should gain insurance cover before collecting, as usual

Your "car tax2 reminder, when it expires will be sent to you, being the new owner. The tax on there is valid

In the valencia region we had to take passport, NIE, residencia and an up to date padron in order for them to get the car registered in our name. Some people will tell you that you dont need a padron, but we were specifically told we needed it before they would be able to register

·
Registered
388 Posts
Most dealers will be able to arrange insurance as well (if they deliver to you - nothing to worry, you can do it yourself online via linea directa) and they will tell you what documents you need (passport copy, NIE copy, residencia/padron/rental contract copy) for the transferencia. I doubt that there will be an insurance policy running on it right now, this would be more likely for a private sale. Insurance in Spain is on the car and mostly covers all drivers over a certain age range (check the certificate!). Organising insurance is not a big deal and can be quickly done.

If you like the car, most serious dealers will want a deposit and then payment on delivery. I doubt they will accept bank transfer via invoice after delivery, so depending on the price it will be cash / credit card / cheque. Do not pay the full price before you have a sale contract AND a"Justificante" of a gestoria in your hand, this is a legal document valid for 60 days that acts as prove that the car is being transferred into your name (which can take 2-12 weeks).

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
The only concern I would have would be A) the delivery & B) what happens if you have a problem & need guarantee work ? 9 hrs is a long way unless you can use a local audi dealer.
Having experienced a car (a friends fortunately :D) being 'delivered' in the UK & seeing it appear over the brow of a hill, in excess of 100mph & airborne I would have reservations. A 9 hr trip in a vehicle that is now registered in your name means any infractions, speeding etc ; will be laid at your door.You also have no idea how it's going to be driven.:(

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everybody! I have a follow up:

I do not have a residencia nor a padron. The thing is that I own and run a small internet based company and have stationed myself (+wife and daughter) in Spain indefinitely. This means that I do not pay Spanish tax. This is all pretty standard EU stuff. Because I am "stationed" here, health care for the whole family is paid for by Denmark for up to 3 years and I still pay my taxes in Denmark - not Spain.

Will this cause problems in terms of getting the residencia (and padron)? I do have my NIE number and a long term rental contract.

I am quite happy with avoiding complex double-taxation issues by not registering with public offices more than I absolutely need to. If I start the whole residencia/padron registration I see problems up ahead.

But maybe I am wrong?

By the way, I live in Valencia, so it sounds like I will also need the padron (hadn't heard of it before today ...)

·
Registered
388 Posts

I do not have a residencia nor a padron. The thing is that I own and run a small internet based company and have stationed myself (+wife and daughter) in Spain indefinitely. This means that I do not pay Spanish tax. This is all pretty standard EU stuff. Because I am "stationed" here, health care for the whole family is paid for by Denmark for up to 3 years and I still pay my taxes in Denmark - not Spain.

Will this cause problems in terms of getting the residencia (and padron)? I do have my NIE number and a long term rental contract.

I am quite happy with avoiding complex double-taxation issues by not registering with public offices more than I absolutely need to. If I start the whole residencia/padron registration I see problems up ahead.

But maybe I am wrong?

By the way, I live in Valencia, so it sounds like I will also need the padron (hadn't heard of it before today ...)
So you say you are living all year round in Spain and don't pay taxes? Better not tell the tax man. And how does the whole health care work? Without residencia / padron you cant register with the local doctors. I have my doubts that this is all legal. Hope your health care is sorted in case something happens, european health insurance cards are for emergency treatment only. You are considered a resident in Spain if living more than 183 days in the country. In the future you might run into trouble without a residencia (doctors, buying car, school). But not the topic of this post, so let's see:

Well officially you can not transfer ownership of a car without padrón. Lately more and more people are reporting that they even need a residencia certificate. You probably read about the problems obtaining residencia now. So getting a residencia cert might be difficult for you (needs prove of income and health insurance).

Saying all that there is still a chance that you can use your rental contract, with passport copy and NIE. All this depends on the local trafico office and more importantly the gestor that is used to do the transfer, so before you commit to buy a car make sure the dealer's gestoria accepts the rental contract!

·
Registered
4,037 Posts

But maybe I am wrong?

The padron shouldn't be problem , you should just need a rental contract . ( I assume you haven't bought ?) This is enough here in Murcia, along with your passport , to purchase a vehicle.
Unfortunately , due to this law that they are attempting to modify ,it is possible that they will ask for a certificate of registration on the 'registro ciudado de la union europa'.

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
As far as I know .........
You will be unable to pay the registration tax due on the car unless you have a Spanish Tax number (so I was told by the local Gestor)

Anderso have you spoken to www.assanchis (dot) com who are based in Valencia & have a very good service into traffico and anything else you need.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To the best of my knowledge my setup is perfectly legal. The EU has allowed this kind of "stationing" to make it easy for EU citizens to temporarily work for their companies in other EU countries. All 3 of us have EU health insurance cards along with a signed and stamped certificate that health expenses are covered by the Danish state. Denmark allows this for up to 3 years. After that it's either go back home or start paying your tax in Spain. So I am assuming Spain is ok with this as we are in the EU together. I hope I am right.

The Spanish tax number? Isn't that identical to my NIE?

Sounds like I can get my padron without any major issues. Think I will try that.

Apart from that, I guess I need to let the dealer know exactly what documentation I have and ask if that is enough.

Haven't talked to Assanchis. Do they speak English?

Thanks to everybody again ...!

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
Yes I guess a member of staff will, but if not the office here in our village has a good English speaker (Ricardo)

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
To the best of my knowledge my setup is perfectly legal. The EU has allowed this kind of "stationing" to make it easy for EU citizens to temporarily work for their companies in other EU countries. All 3 of us have EU health insurance cards along with a signed and stamped certificate that health expenses are covered by the Danish state. Denmark allows this for up to 3 years. After that it's either go back home or start paying your tax in Spain. So I am assuming Spain is ok with this as we are in the EU together. I hope I am right.

The Spanish tax number? Isn't that identical to my NIE?

Sounds like I can get my padron without any major issues. Think I will try that.

Apart from that, I guess I need to let the dealer know exactly what documentation I have and ask if that is enough.

Haven't talked to Assanchis. Do they speak English?

Thanks to everybody again ...!
Yes , the NIE is the tax number. If you apply for a padron & are asked for your registration certificate , applying for one sholudn't be a problem as you already have an nie, you can prove you live here & the Danish letter stating that they will pay all health charges should cover you under the new 'rules' ,; whatever they are !
Start with the padron, you should be able to buy with that only but check with the dealer what he requires.
Let us know how you get on regarding padron /registration cert. as no one appears to be beinggiven the same info & a 1st hand account would be helpful !

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes , the NIE is the tax number. If you apply for a padron & are asked for your registration certificate , applying for one sholudn't be a problem as you already have an nie, you can prove you live here & the Danish letter stating that they will pay all health charges should cover you under the new 'rules' ,; whatever they are !
Start with the padron, you should be able to buy with that only but check with the dealer what he requires.
Let us know how you get on regarding padron /registration cert. as no one appears to be beinggiven the same info & a 1st hand account would be helpful !
Thanks a lot. I will update you on my progress. First step is the ajuntament for the padron tomorrow then hopefully later in the week I will be on my way to buy a car.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks a lot. I will update you on my progress. First step is the ajuntament for the padron tomorrow then hopefully later in the week I will be on my way to buy a car.
As promised an update:

Getting our padrons today was an abolute breeze. We needed to queue for about 2 minutes and then needed to present one copy of:

Passports
Our NIE certificates
Our rental contract
(+ the birth certificate of our 3-year old daughter)

Another 5 minutes of waiting for a little keyboard tapping, and we emerged from the city hall with our signed and stamped padrons. It was a beautiful thing :)

Will update again when I have news about the car buying.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
A note regarding the padron. We are having a car transferred into our names but have been told that we do need copies of everything (NIE, passports, driving licences, make and model number of our loo seats etc etc) but that the padron certificate cannot be more then 3 months old!!! Anyone come across this before??

·
Registered
388 Posts
A note regarding the padron. We are having a car transferred into our names but have been told that we do need copies of everything (NIE, passports, driving licences, make and model number of our loo seats etc etc) but that the padron certificate cannot be more then 3 months old!!! Anyone come across this before??
Yes this gets requested quite regularly. The padrón is used to varify your address and the receiving party wants to make sure it's up to date. It's not a biggy to get an up to date one from the local Ayuntamiento, just a pain in the butt :s

·
Registered
11 Posts
this thread is great and perfectly timed for us.

Can anyone recommend a car dealer anywhere in Valencia Communidad? We're moving soon and need to buy a car.

We're looking for a subcompact, no particular make. Any ideas on who we can go to in or around the cities below? tips on buying? how the system works or registration, insurance, etc?

We'll be near Alicante, Valencia and Castellon de la Plana area in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your advice.

·
Administrator
36,464 Posts
this thread is great and perfectly timed for us.

Can anyone recommend a car dealer anywhere in Valencia Communidad? We're moving soon and need to buy a car.

We're looking for a subcompact, no particular make. Any ideas on who we can go to in or around the cities below? tips on buying? how the system works or registration, insurance, etc?

We'll be near Alicante, Valencia and Castellon de la Plana area in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your advice.
:welcome:

if you have a look at the 'forms, education, driving etc etc.............' thread which is 'stuck' above, you'll find lots of info, links & threads about cars & buying them.

hopefully someone will be able to recommend a local dealer for you

one thing has very recently changed from the info in the driving thread though, in that to transfer ownership you now have to show your 'resident certificate' if an EU citizen, or 'resident card' as a non-EU citizen

I see from your post last November that you were working on getting retirement visas? Would you mind telling us how you actually managed to get them?

we get so many US citizens asking visa advice & there is so little concrete info available :( & so few people actually seem to manage to get a retirement visa.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
:welcome:

if you have a look at the 'forms, education, driving etc etc.............' thread which is 'stuck' above, you'll find lots of info, links & threads about cars & buying them.
Thank you for the tip. I couldn't seem to come up with anything. I'll go there now.

Also, I headed over to the retirement visa thread and updated. :clap2:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts