Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there Expats,

I'm new to the forum and the mountain of information on the UKBA website is staggering. I'm currently trying to make heads and tails of it all! I'd like to ask you lovely people for some advice, at the very least some help with some questions I have.

My girlfriend lives in the US and is looking to move over here permanently. Looking at the VISA and Immigration sections, I'm assuming a Settlement visa is the way forward? She's a Veterinary Technician over there and will pursue that line of work once she's here but I'd like to clarify some things first.

We meet the majority of the required criteria on the application and will finish the rest of the criteria within the next year or two (i.e me going over again to meet her family as they live in another State to where I've visited her, her visiting me in the coming year and meeting my family). As far as I can deduct from the website the 5 year plan seems to be the way forward in our situation then? We intend to stay together and eventually get married (we've been friends for 10 years, in a committed, albeit long distance, relationship for over a year now), I have accommodation she can live in till she finds her feet and she can bring a substantial amount of savings with her to depend on in the wait for work.

Is there anything I've missed about this? Is she able to apply for a Settlement VISA/Immigration Status as my Unmarried Partner? Am I on the right tracks or woefully wrong?

Thank you for your time and any help is massively appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
You don't have that basis for a unmarried partner visa. To qualify you must have lived together in a relationship akin to marriage for 2 years with joint responsibilities like rent, mortgage, bank accounts, utilities, etc. Just visiting each other is not enough. There is no leeway on this requirement. You're only option appears to be marriage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.