Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Advice on 189 or 190

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Tirumalsatya 
#1 ·
Hi Friends,
I'm planning to do the PR on my own.I'm hoping with the help of this Forum I will pull this off.
I'm some what confused with what type of Visa to go with 189 or 190.
Here is my story.
I came to Australia through Indian Software company on 457(261312 Analyst programmer) on January 2013. Since then working with them in Melbourne and will be with them for at least another 1 year.

DOB - 06 July 1978
Exp - 2005 Jan to 2013 Jan -> India & 2013 Jan to Till date -> Australia, Melbourne
Education - M.Sc Electronics
No Spouse points.
Expecting to finish IELTS in Band 7.

Please suggest, will I be having enough points for 189 or must go with 190 to qualify as 190 gives 5 points.
Since I have to be in Victoria for next 1 year, is it advisable to go with State sponsorship? Which visa will improve my chances?

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Even considering the worst case scenario of ACS not giving you points for first 4 years of your career, you still will have the following points breakup:

Education: 15
Work India: 5 (2009 - end-2012 = 4 years)
Work AU: 5 (more than 1 but less than 3 years)
English: 10 (7+ in IELTS)

Total: 60 points for 189 visa.

With 60 points, you will have to wait quite some time to get invited. But, should ACS deduct only 2 of your years, then you will end up with 65 points which has a good invitation chance immediately in the upcoming EOI round. But, if 60, try applying under 190 category with 65 points if you do not wish to wait. However, VIC state sponsorship for software professionals is hard to get. You might be lucky though, because you already are resident in VIC and have Australian work experience. I am not sure about it though, so try reading through the 190 VIC SS thread.

All the best.

#5 ·
Just one correction, As far as points are concerned 60 are good enough, I have heard that states would reject your sponsorship application if you already have 60 points, as you are illegible for 189 already.

If they sponsor you, your EOI is preapproved, you don't have to wait for separate approval.

#3 ·
I believe Victoria has a streamlined process for state sponsorship of 457 visa holders, however I don't know much about it. I take it the employer isn't willing to sponsor a 186 visa?

#4 ·
Hi,

I doubt if any state will sponsor you if you already have 60 points. 60 points are good enough to get your visa.

Regards

Samdam

#6 ·
Thanks for all the responses. Very encouraging and helpful. I have couple of queries before I submit for ACS.

Since I done M.Sc electronics and applying for Analyst programmer, is there a possibility that I would be fall under RPL cases and deduct 6 Years?

Is it better to submit RPL document during ACS online submission just in case? or wait for them to comeback and ask for it.

In Case of RPL, is it enough to submit one project as I have only worked in one company through out?

Lastly, Is it mandatory to do the attestation of all documents to be submitted to ACS?

Thanks for the support friends.

#7 ·
Satya,

There is no such thing as attaching RPL document to an application. It has to be either a normal skills assessment account that you create with ACS or RPL account. Both are entirely different. Which one applies to you is something you will have to find out by checking if your degree has enough ICT content. Check Skills-Assessment-Guidelines-for-Applicants.pdf to find out how.

Yes, mandatory to have all documents attested.

#8 ·
Thanks All.
Today I have submitted for ACS. Have to intensify the preparation for PTE and finish the test by the time receives the assessment letter.
If ACS deducts 4 years, I will have 50 points for Age,Qualif. & Exp. If I end up with Band 6 only in IELTS/PET-A, instead of sweating for more points, I'm planning to go for the Streamlined Pathway to State Nomination for 457 Visa Holders.

Streamlined Pathway to State Nomination for 457 Visa Holders - Live in Victoria

#9 ·
Today I got the assessment +ve.
Seems like ACS has deducted 4 years. Below is the content in letter.

Your skills have been assessed to be suitable for migration under 261311 (Analyst Programmer) of the
ANZSCO Code.

Your qualifications have been assessed as follows:

Your Master of Science from XXXXXXX University completed April 2000 has been assessed as
comparable to an AQF Master Degree with a major in computing.

Your Bachelors Degree from XXXXXXX University completed April 1998 has been assessed as
comparable to an AQF Bachelor Degree with a major in computing.

The following employment after January 2009 is considered to equate to work at an appropriately
skilled level and relevant to 261311 (Analyst Programmer) of the ANZSCO Code.

Dates: 01/05 - 01/13 (8yrs 0mths)
Position: Analyst Programmer
Employer: XXXXXXXXXX

Dates: 01/13 - 08/15 (2yrs 7mths)
Position: Analyst Programmer
Employer: XXXXXXXXX

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.