Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am looking to move at the end of April, but have just had a shock from the letting agency.

They have told me that the day i move in i must pay 100 euro to the electricity board and 300 euro to the water board....is this right?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you :)

·
Super Moderator
12,533 Posts
Hello!

I am looking to move at the end of April, but have just had a shock from the letting agency.

They have told me that the day i move in i must pay 100 euro to the electricity board and 300 euro to the water board....is this right?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you :)
This is normal

It is a deposit which renters have to pay in case they do a runner leaving unpaid bills which unfortunatelyy is all too common.:(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is this the case with all rented apartments? I have spoken to so many letting agencies and only one has mentioned it!

thanks for the reply :)

·
Super Moderator
12,533 Posts
This is normal

It is a deposit which renters have to pay in case they do a runner leaving unpaid bills which unfortunatelyy is all too common.:(
Actually looking at your post again the 300 to the water board looks excessive to me.
The electricity board do require a deposit but I would recommend that you go to the water board yourself to make sure that is correct.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought that seemed a lot! I can understand a small deposit but 300 euros extra means staying in england for an extra month :(

·
Super Moderator
12,533 Posts
I thought that seemed a lot! I can understand a small deposit but 300 euros extra means staying in england for an extra month :(
Where is the property?
As I said the 300 euros for water dosnt seem right to me at all. It might depend on who the supplier but when I think about it I can't remember anyone having to pay a deposit for water, only electricity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In universal area, through a website - simplycyprus

Do you know of any letting agencies that you would recommend? I will be moving on 30th April and keen to secure an apartment before I arrive. Only looking for a one bedroom as it will just be me moving.

·
Super Moderator
12,533 Posts
In universal area, through a website - simplycyprus

Do you know of any letting agencies that you would recommend? I will be moving on 30th April and keen to secure an apartment before I arrive. Only looking for a one bedroom as it will just be me moving.
Hmmm, I am saying nothing:rolleyes:
Let me talk to a few people I know to see if this sounds right.
You have plenty of time to secure something so don't rush into anything.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Regarding the deposits, we moved over in January'12 and only had to pay 100 euros to the electric company but nothing to the water company. Have not heard of anyone having to pay a deposit for the water.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help, I didnt think that was quite right. Maybe I found a dodgy agent!

Will be working in the harbour in Paphos so looking for somewhere within walking distance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts