Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

My wife and I got married in Mauritius two years ago. The reason we chose to get married there was because we were advised in was one of the few places UK nationals can marry and not need a license first but still have it accepted in the UK (plus it's a nice place for a holiday!)

We now need to get out marriage certificate attested in Duabi, but I'm not sure how to do it.

We're both UK nationals, so I phoned the UK embassy here for advice and they didn't know (!) and just said they can only get UK documentation attested, so they weren't much help.

Has anyone been through or know of anyone who's been through a similar situation and can give us advice?

We'll be back in the UK for a week in August and may be able to visit the Mauritian embassy in London - would that be any use? Or I guess that's still not a UK authentication is it.

I guess we could go back to Mauritius.... not a cheap way to do it though!

Thanks!

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm a bit confused by your post, who are you looking to get the certificate authenticated by?

I would imagine we followed a similar process for Republic Of Seychelles to get our marriage approved here in Dubai.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We need to get attested in the UAE (for residence visa, will, etc), so whoever needs to authenticate it so that the authorities here accept it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Ok, to have it approved here you need to take it to Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bur Dubai.

For them to authenticate it, will need to be stamped by the Mauritius (presumable Ministry of Foreign Affairs too, as that was department for Seychelles. If its not already stamped it will need to be done via an embassy, but you may also be able to get a copy by requesting it online or phone, you might not need to actually go.

Was your wedding organised through a marriage planner in Mauritius? If so, they may be able to make an application on your behalf.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was arranged through a UK travel company and through the hotel we stayed at. They did the pre-paperwork and took us to the government offices the day before to get it all signed and stamped. It has an 'apostille' stamp from the Prime Minister's Office from the Republic of Mauritius on the back of the certificate.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Unfortunately I don't think the Apostle stamp is enough.

Our certificate has the Apostle stamp, one from the ministry of justice and one from ministry of foreign affairs of Seychelles. When I got it attested by Ministry of Foreign Affairs here in Dubai the guy at the desk did not read the certificate correctly and instructed me to get it stamped again at the embassy of Seychelles. I pointed out the stamp it already had, he queried with another colleague and after some muttering about being proven wrong stamped the certificate.

Reason I asked if it was an agency you could contact again was because our agent said to let him know if we ever needed another copy over the two he gave us. I think you will be ok applying at the embassy, or contacting ministry direct. We did not have to get the certificate stamped in Seychelles ourselves, or be there when it was done. Hotel or UK agent may look after it (for a fee obviously). Nothing will need to be done by UK authorities, all through Mauritius and here. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts